FJR Fuel Injection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Independent
Reaction score
A friend of mine e-mailed me saying he thought the Dobeck Performance products Teclusion Electronic Jet kit was superior to the power commander....& is a better deal....I have not heard of Dobeck.....anyone know of them, what their about, if they are better/worse than the power commander?....any information would be appreciated....& apparently you can by it on E-Bay :blink: ....for whatever that's worth?

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean other than Googling and finding their website? If so, then no haven't, but see their website has a testimonial by an FJR rider.

Ahem... Any peformance company who would dare locate their business on a road named, 'Jackrabbit Lane' would be highly suspect, especially if said performance company was located in, er, Montana(?).

;)

A friend of mine e-mailed me saying he thought the Dobeck Performance products Teclusion Electronic Jet kit was superior to the power commander....& is a better deal....I have not heard of Dobeck.....anyone know of them, what their about, if they are better/worse than the power commander?....any information would be appreciated....& apparently you can by it on E-Bay :blink: ....for whatever that's worth?
Hey twowheelnut, ignorance is bliss isn't it?

Here is a write up on Dobeck\Techlusion TFI. Mark Dobeck, the founder of Dynojet is the guy who started Dobeck Performance. Dale Walker of Holeshot Performance uses the TFI on many of his bikes with his pipes. I installed on my 2002 Vstrom DL 1000 along with Dale's pipes and a smaller (1 tooth sprocket). I did the changes incrementally.....first pipes, then dropping the sprocket 1 tooth, then installing the TFI box with Holeshots custom settings for the Vstrom after many "Dyno" hours. It totally smoothed out the "chudder" the Vstrom had below 4000rpm. Per Dale's dyno runs, the above combination yielded additional 10hp and 10ft lbs torque in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range and approx 4hp gain above that. The bike rips and I am very impressed, it is a totally different bike. In talking with Dale, the TFI box came out after he developed the FJR header and exhausts and worked on maps for the PC. That is why he supplies Power Commander maps for the FJR, he had already done the work. He now sells the TFI with his custom setting for several other bikes including the FZ1, with some impressive results. I have since picked up a TFI box for my 2006 FJR ($175 new on ebay, retail is $253, some sites have it for $204 for the plug and play model with factory connectors) and will install soon. Anyway, this is not fly by night stuff, it is a product developed by the founder of Dynojet. He sold the company for $6 million and once his non compete clause was done, he started Dobeck Performance and sells the TFI box for motorcycles, snowmobilies and ATV's. For those wondering who the hell Mark Dobeck is and what is a Techlusion tuning box, I hope this helps......

Here is one article written about Dobeck/Techlusion TFI by a reputable motorcycle tuning center in Australia.........

Wouldn't it be great if you didn't need a computer or be electronically minded and you could adjust your injection system to suit with just one screw driver in a simple format that related to a carburetor. A format that didn't interfere with the standard computer system installed on your bike.

A system that has an idle and low speed circuit (pilot jet\mixture screw), mid range and throttle response circuit for acceleration (needle and slide) and a main circuit for wide open throttle and power (main jet) one that could dial out that annoying backfire when slowing down and the constant surging when cruising the highway, and that big flat spot when you get aggressive with the throttle. But most of all have it all at an affordable price without running the bike on a dyno for 2-3 hours, putting pressure on your hip pocket to say the least.

Well the good news is you can have it all right now right here. The person responsible for this technology is Mark Dobeck, founder of Dynojet. The man behind carburetor jet kits and the designer of Dynojet dyno’s, setting new standards of measuring and tuning motorcycles around the world, being adopted by many very successful race teams.

The system uses all the lessons learnt on carburetors, this knowledge has been adapted to fuel injection in simple to understand terms for the person who is more apt with tuning carburetors than fuel injected bikes. And guess what, it works and is affordable As with carbureted motorcycles its designed around the principle that the manufacturers have spent a lot of time and money perfecting the fuel maps which are generally very good. So the only issue is with ADR compliance and therefore if anything they are prone to be running lean low down and in the midrange to comply.

Not dangerously so but enough for the rider to notice an improvement straight away when more fuel is delivered to compensate. For example in many cases the bike will surge when cruising the highways and often have a rough idle and harsh feel, sometimes even stalling.

This is because they are lean in this area to meet the ADR regulations. Making them richer not only gets rid of the hesitation but makes for a much smoother ride and a noticeable improvement in throttle response and midrange.

Dobeck has found that in most cases the manufacturer has got it right when the throttle is 75-100% open and no change in fuel delivery is required, assuming the bike is still relatively standard. I have personally found this to be my own experience.

Even the manufacturers are aware of acceleration horse power which when looked at on a load style dyno shows up as a rich mixture and tuners will then unknowingly remove it. The bike still runs fine but won't accelerate as fast and as hard as a result.

Many tuners when using a dyno will select a high gear, 4th being the accepted standard. The only problem with this is that a bike will accelerate harder in a low gear than in a high gear and the fuel requirements are different. This system is able to take that into account and adjust the fuel delivery accordingly.

Yep hard to believe that this can all be had at an affordable price, fitted by you and tuned with nothing more than one screw driver. Well I'm here to say “the good old days are back”, I have used it on many different model bikes from BMW to the latest R1 and can confirm that on my own bike the difference is real and it does do what the manufacturer say it will.

Here's an example - Yamaha R1 04 model with a full race exhaust system and Pipercross air filter. If you look at the graph above, the 2 lines on the bottom third are air fuel ratio measurements. The blue line is with the Dobeck module set to zero, in other words the map is standard. The second line is after we have made some adjustments to the Dobeck module. As you can see we have flattened the fuel curve for a straighter line and moved the whole map down. We're looking for a number of around 13-13.5:1 air fuel ratio. We are now right in the zone and if you look at the horse power and torque above it there's also a noticeable improvement. Though the air fuel line is not perfectly straight its not as important as getting it in the “zone” as it were. Looking closely at around 7-9000 rpm mark the flat spot has all but disappeared and we now have a nice smooth lineal power and torque curve.

Going back to the air fuel curves for a moment you will see that it's not at 13:1 air fuel ratio all the way across. That fuel number is only a guide to aim for. We have carried out tests adding and removing as much as 10% fuel from the entire map and it has made no difference whatsoever.

The point is, it's in the zone, to keep working at trying to get a perfectly straight line is not only pointless in terms of power and riding improvements but also means more wear and tear on your motorcycle.

On the road there was also a noticeable improvement, the bike was more responsive going from cruise to aggressive acceleration and pulled harder. Also the harshness at 7-9000 rpm had disappeared while the backfire on over run was all but gone.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,

<snip>

:boredom:

Yo, moron... Thanks for dragging this thread outta the closet. Now, here's a little clue for you, dumb-ass: Sarcasm. Learn it, know it. Did it really take you damn near 1 year to come up with your snappy, little jab at me? Further, cut and paste is a rather weak way to make your point (or more correctly, someone else's) - try forming a thought instead of borrowing from others. :rolleyes:

Go crawl back under your bankie, where it's safe and warm, wouldja?

The 'Weatherman' was wrong. The Santa Anas have arrived ahead of schedule.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,

<snip>

:boredom:

Yo, moron... Thanks for dragging this thread outta the closet. Now, here's a little clue for you, dumb-ass: Sarcasm. Learn it, know it. Did it really take you damn near 1 year to come up with your snappy, little jab at me? Further, cut and paste is a rather weak way to make your point (or more correctly, someone else's) - try forming a thought instead of borrowing from others. :rolleyes:

Go crawl back under your bankie, where it's safe and warm, wouldja?

The 'Weatherman' was wrong. The Santa Anas have arrived ahead of schedule.

No, it took about a minute....and since there is quite a few questions with few answers, I took the liberty to shed a little light on the TFI. I have been reading up on Power Commanders on the forum and elsewhere and comparing to the TFI. Based on my very positive personal experience with the TFI I installed recently on my Vstrom, I began researching the TFI for the FJR. Sorry you got your little feathers ruffled. My apologies. Now I will crawl under my BLANKIE, wait for the dogpile, sarcasm, name calling, and personal attacks. Then I will logon again to this great resource and continue doing what I enjoy..... riding and working on my bikes. Thanks to all who contribute to the forum. It has been a wealth of information for making mods on my bike and the message exchanges are quite entertaining.

It's, 'B-A-N-K-I-E'. Ask any 3 year old you know. ;)
How old did you say you were, oh yea.......3. I am taking your advice and working on my sarcasm.
Whoa! Attitude police, pull over...

Your comments seem a bit unprovoked, judging by the winking smilie in TWN's original post. Pretty sure he wasn't coming after you or your posting.

CHPhomo.JPG

Oh... wait.... it's not Friday yet? <snaps fingers> DAMN!

*sigh* sorry, jumped the gun there a little....

;)

I put one on about 6 months ago and I love it. It cleared up every issue the PCIII has been described as doing and I bought it extremely cheap. I bought it off Ebay brand new for $120 to my door. It takes a little work to install and I have varied the recommended setting slightly but overall I'm really happy with it. If you decide to go that direction ley me know and I'll advise on where I have set mine and why. But I say if you can get a good deal, it's definately comparable to the PCIII.

I put one on about 6 months ago and I love it. It cleared up every issue the PCIII has been described as doing and I bought it extremely cheap. I bought it off Ebay brand new for $120 to my door. It takes a little work to install and I have varied the recommended setting slightly but overall I'm really happy with it. If you decide to go that direction ley me know and I'll advise on where I have set mine and why. But I say if you can get a good deal, it's definately comparable to the PCIII.
I do have two different settings from Dobeck for using the TFI with the O2 sensor connected and disconnected. How did you set yours up? Also, I would be interested in what settings you are using and why. I will be installing mine soon. Good to hear that you feel this product worked well on the FJR. Thanks.