FJR in curves and twisties..?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed reading the feedback from all of the FJR members, and agree with the gangs opinions. This summer had the pleasure of spending an afternoon at Pacific Raceway (dry) in Seattle for a track day on the FJR... What a blast, but hard on the new PR4's. I'm looking forward to a bike that is a bit more flick-able for next summer, and I'm hooked. Solution? - Picked up an R6 for a winter project and more future track days next summer. Love the nimble FJR for the open road, and have one 750 mile day returning from WSBK @ Laguna, but if you're wanting a track bike?? maybe a sport bike is the solution, but touring on a sport bike NO WAY...

Thank you to all of you guys for taking the time to answer my questions and provide so much information!

It sounds like the FJR is the bike that will check off the most boxes for me.

Sapest - I was born in Texas City, not far from me now, thanks for the heads up!

I will definitely give an update and post if/when I ride/buy one.

Thank you all again!

Chris

My .02

I've got a bandit 1200 and the FJR. 2 decidedly different bikes. The Bandit is the hooligan bike I poke that thing into curves way faster than I should. The FJR just takes a different mindset. I use the rear brake more on the fjr and less throttle braking. After all, you are slowing down half a barge. The bandits only a 3rd of a barge.Pull the bags off the thing and it can get quite nimble for a gal of her size and if you are a skilled rider you can push slower guys thru the corners and catch up with the faster guys on the straight. You might hafta bang it down a notch or 2 to get it above 4 or 5k.

We do regular rides wich are about 1/2 twisty - 1/2 straight/90mph sweeper shit. A good friend of mine rides the bandit. I'm usually on the fjr with bags and a 110 lb pillion. Those guys have a really hard time keeping up with me.

I've sctaped a peg or 2. The rear chicken strip is gone, the front is about 1/4". I cant wear that thing off, but I'm still tryin!

Da Wolf

Cvw1973 posted: <snip, snip, snip>
I am 44, by no means a stunter, but I ride fairly aggressively and spirited. ... Is it still really agile, and able to be flicked around in the curves? Is the acceleration nice and exhilarating.?
Most of us are a little older than you, no stunters (I am convinced the FJR wheelie photo is doctored), but ride aggressively, faster than aggressively, or even faster still. I have 55,000 miles on my 2015ES, which I purchased with zero miles on the odometer.

The acceleration is amazing, especially when in 'Sport' mode above 4,500 rpm. I usually ride serious roadways between 5,000 and 7,500 rpm, which is 45-55 mph in second gear, to take advantage of her powerful engine braking.

The FJR is a heavy girl, but carries her weight up high, making her pretty agile. That means she goes through corners fast and easily with a healthy lean angle, and even faster if you have faith in your tires and lean farther. She can lean WAAAAY over, too; I have only scraped my left peg feeler, and that only one time.

I've gone through a lot of the best roads in the southeast while keeping up with sportbikers on lighter, more nimble bikes. I've also been left behind, too, so I've come to the conclusion that speed in the twisties or on the track is due to the rider much more than it is due to the bike.

The FJR has no equal for long-distance touring -- except an FJR with an auxiliary gas tank.

I can honestly say this: the FJR has capabilities far beyond what you will ever be able to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can personally attest to the fact that an FJR CAN loft the front tire.

Cvw1973 posted: <snip, snip, snip>

I am 44, by no means a stunter, but I ride fairly aggressively and spirited. ... Is it still really agile, and able to be flicked around in the curves? Is the acceleration nice and exhilarating.?
Most of us are a little older than you, no stunters (I am convinced the FJR wheelie photo is doctored),

It sounds like the FJR is the bike that will check off the most boxes for me.
Imagine getting affimation from a forum specifically about FJRs...who could have possibly seen this revelation coming?!
specool.gif

Honestly its dependant on the rider. Most people cant ride to the ability of the bike. I love my fjr, it handles well in the curves, runs like a 600 sportbike and you can ride it across the country. Ive done it twice. I came from sport bikes, owned 3 harleys and done several track days at jennings gp. I say this to say 90% of people cant ride to the ability of the bike. Been there.lol I rode the cherahala skyway on a r1. I had a harley pass me and was like hell naw.... It was all I could do to keep up with that guy. He was the most impressive rider ive ever seen in person, and was on a cruiser. Ive owned over 20 bikes, most sport, and the fjr is the only 1 ive bought twice. 1 07 and now my current 2014. Ive owned the 14 longer than any other and logged the most miles on it. I would sell it unless you offered me a rediculous amount of money so I could buy a 17.

Hello from TX. I picked up an '07 FJR this last Spring from Houston. After two very different trips on it, TX, NM, CO and UT in June at 2850 miles in 6 days and two weekends ago to OK, AR and MO for 1650 miles in 4 days, I'll say ...I like it. This is coming off a '95 BMW R1100RS that I had the pleasure of owning since 2005. Out West, the FJR was comfortable on the longer hauls and felt planted in the fast sweeper turns typical in the Four Corners. Once rolling, I didn't notice the additional 140 lbs. difference from the RS.

AR and MO roads are an entirely different experience. They are tight, twisty, rapid elevation changes and a lot of road surface changes. I didn't feel as comfortable pushing hard as on the RS but I'm still learning to ride this Beast. What I missed most was the engine braking on the big twin and I felt the weight of the FJR a bit more. The FJR carries momentum into turns and pulls like a tractor out of them. It can seriously haul the mail. Mind bending acceleration. There is very little engine braking so I found it necessary (and it's probably a better technique) to do more overlapping of throttle and some trail braking. The Ohlins on the rear really shines when pitching it hard into a tight turn. I put money into suspension early on so I could learn to ride it once. One of my biggest complaints with the RS was wind protection, noise and buffeting. The FJR even with the stock shield has it beat. I'm only 5'8" so with the help of this forum my windscreen Odyssey is just beginning. All that said, it's a keeper and will be a far more comfortable / capable mount for two up riding. Speaking of two up, I had my ass handed to me by two youths, two up on a VFR 1200 on Push Mountain. They would make Gary Ketchum proud, and he was two up on a full dress Harley Road Thing on middle 123, but that is another story.

I gotta get new suspension this season. I've got 55k on the rear and don't know when the front was done last. (only had it for a year) It's staerting to get really wallowey (is that a word?) over the sweepers.

I've been toying with the idea of putting some hiway pegs on . But that would prolly cut my cornering clearance. Fuck, whaddya gonna do. Fuk it, I'll go ride the bandit, then the FJR. I'm actually thinking about getting a trailer for the thing next year for some camping trips with my favorite pillion. ;)

Da Wolf

My $0.02..

In my first year of FJR ownership, I rode my significantly modified FZ1 twice. The *only* times I noticed the weight of the FJR was when I first bought it, and then after riding the FZ1.

Hence, I traded it for my 2nd FJR.. :)

I remember that day!

Put 77,000 miles on my fjr before purchasing the vfr. It can handle the twisties just fine. It takes a bit more effort due to its weight but if you don't mind...it doesn't either.

if it had a bit better lean angle (leanier) I would still have my 07 fjr or a newer one.

I've scraped both pegs plenty of times. With and without lowering brackets. You've got to mean it to scrape them stock. I bought mine brand new and will hit 60,000 miles sometime this week. I like it well enough that I plan to keep it until it hits warranty end or 100,000 miles (100K will probably come first).

Hi all and Cvw1973. Another 2 cents here... I also agree with all perspective shared. With the risk of a bit of redundancy... Its big, its fast and its surprisingly nimble. Truly a function of what you can do with it. A picture is worth a thousand words so check out some pics of an FJR on a track here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/173233-another-track-day/ You said you were no "stunter" and neither am I, but I am never disappointed with what the FJR "gives" me. I'd venture to say most of us feel the same way and I bet you would too.

To the guys that say, "No engine braking," what rpm range are you running, and (for Gen3) are you in Sport Mode?

I get incredible engine braking at 6,000 rpm and above; so much so that I get serious 'head dips'.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the guys that say, "No engine braking," what rpm range are you running, and (for Gen3) are you in Sport Mode?
I get incredible engine braking at 6,000 rpm and above; so much so that I get serious 'head dips'.

Geez, I NEVER get above 6K. I'd be wearing out the engine if I did that. ;)

Da Wolf