FJR most common issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most common problem?
Very addictive!!!

You may neglect your non-riding friends, family and even your dog!
How true, this is a very common problem and not often addressed.

Screw em I say, lets ride!

lmaosmiley.gif

Money spent to pay speeding tickets! Also being on court supervision in multiple states. I never got into as much trouble on other bikes. The FJR gets mad at me for going 75 or even 85. At 75-85 MPH the bike is talking to me complaining that I'm not letting it do what it was built for. They don't seem to be happy until they're going over 90.

What are you supposed to do when you're cruising along at 80 and some clown on a Harley comes up along side then opens up to his all out and hits about 100. If I didn't go down to 4th and fly by him at 120 a couple of seconds later I should be arrested, but if I do it I seem to be an arrest magnet.
aaevil.gif

Money spent to pay speeding tickets! Also being on court supervision in multiple states. I never got into as much trouble on other bikes. The FJR gets mad at me for going 75 or even 85. At 75-85 MPH the bike is talking to me complaining that I'm not letting it do what it was built for. They don't seem to be happy until they're going over 90.
this

sadsmiley.gif
No shit !!!!!! on the DT's

6 degrees here this morning and that's 5 warmer than yesterday

Last edited by a moderator:
this
Definitely plus 1 on it wanting to cruise at 90...

...if only I could get it to go over 65.

^^^^^Me too Wheaties, except since I live in the South West, every now and then I can coax it to 75mph...But just barely!!

Not strictly an FJR problem, the air filter makes a wonderful mouse nest.

[img=[URL="https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/Budsboy/Nest_zpsf6a73cbf.jpg%5D"]https://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/Budsboy/Nest_zpsf6a73cbf.jpg][/URL]
Oh, yeah.Reminds me of some photos that I've seen from fellow Wingabago owners - except that access to the air filter in the FJR is child's play by comparison.

Easily prevented by an application of 1/4" grid hardware cloth.

To the OP: the biggest "issue" at our house is that the F jR is a 1-up bike. MANY folks enjoy multi-day tours 2-up. But when given a choice, my bride ALWAYS points at the rear seat on our Hondapotamus and smiles "yes, please".
Yes indeedy, changing out the Wingofilter can be a days work, but much cheaper than dealer doing it. IIRC, filter change on the FJR was about a 15 minute job.

The most common issue is modification induced wallet deflation.
It goes like this.

1: Replace windshield to reduce buffetting.

2: It's no better, so buy another one.

3: Sell 2nd one because it's even worse than stock, buy a 3rd.

4: It's much better, so sell the first one. You know notice that your ass hurts.

5: Buy a Corbin.

6: Sell a Corbin, buy Sargent. Better, but not great.

7: Go hole hog, buy a Russell. SWEET! Sell Sargent.

8: Notice the Russell lifts you up higher. Your back now hurts and the buffeting is back.

9: Buy risers. Risers help a ton. But they cause your bars to hit windshield and more vertical posture makes buffetting worse.

10: Sell windshield. Buy a barn door. Nirvana! Until the temperatures go over 80F. It's an oven! Put on last windshield for the summer with new Shoei helmet that seems quieter in the showroom.

11: Knees now hurt. Buy peg lowering kit. Better, but now your dragging your pegs all over the place.

12: Buy aftermarket suspension to raise the bike and improve ride quality.

13: Sweet! But now you can't flat foot the bike...

Wife threatens to leave you because you've depleted the kids college fund and the next generation is out, and it's RED. Worse, none of the shit you bought for the old bike will fit the new bike. Start over.

This should be posted as a Statutory Warning on all Forums!

What are you supposed to do when you're cruising along at 80 and some clown on a Harley comes up along side then opens up to his all out and hits about 100. If I didn't go down to 4th and fly by him at 120 a couple of seconds later I should be arrested, but if I do it I seem to be an arrest magnet.
aaevil.gif
After 2000 miles at reasonable speeds (<10 over) I was challenged by a Harley clown in Chattanooga. I was unable to resist the temptation to let him know he didn't have the fastest bike on the road.

I've had a 2012 FJR for about 18 months now and put about 12,000 miles on it. After owning about 14 or 15 other bikes, this one is a keeper. I got really mad at it last summer, with a surge issue at certain conditions. While on a 1500 mile trip I got so annoyed with it, I decided to throw in the towel and get something else. I think I looked at just about every bike made any couldn't find anything that I liked better than the FJR. With lots of hair pulling, I finally resolved the surge problem even after several several shops told me "that's just the way these bikes are". I'm glad I kept it and the only thing I could see myself replacing it with would be another FJR.

Seat - I could only be comfortable on the stock seat for about an hour. I replaced mine with the Sargent and I'm very happy with it.

Windshield - The stock one works fine for me most of the time and I don't have any buffetting complaints. I also have the Yamaha touring windshield and usually run it through the winter.

Engine heat - No worse than any other bike I've had. It can get pretty warm sitting in Texas traffic, but I've never got to uncomfortable.

Tires - Everyone has their own favorites, but I like the Bridgestone BT023-GT (which they quit making). I do recommend the GT spec tires made for the heavy sport/touring bikes. I got about 9k out of the front and 5-6k on the back. They would last much longer with milder riding. Most of my multi day trips are to the mountains in search of twisties and I ride pretty hard. I can keep up with the sport bikes, but it is a little challenging and I don't make a habit of it.

Gas mileage - Worst 41 mpg, Best 52 mpg, Average ~46

Suspension - This is the one area where I might want a little improvement, if this was my only bike. I have a sport bike to go play hard although the FJR does very well for the weight. The front seems OK, but the rear could probably stand an upgrade for really pushing the limits.

Knock-on-wood, I've had no other problems and getting ready for another 2000 mile trip, this time to the Texas hill country. This should be another good test.

I'm actually considering picking up an older Gen 1 bike just to ride to work. I have a 50 mile a day commute and don't like stacking up the miles on my current bike, just to go to work. I'm still researching the quirks of the Gen 1 bikes and don't know alot about them yet.

So, what was the surging problem due to?
On my '03 the ECU would 'hunt', resulting in surging especially while chugging through a small farm burg while riding blue highways. It seemed to be caused mainly by very lean co settings. I did the Barbarian jumper thing to the ECU and it cured the surging problems by running the EFI richer. I think it may have allowed the bike to run a bit cooler as the Gen1 was a real thigh cooker.

Kc5

"I'm actually considering picking up an older Gen 1 bike just to ride to work. I have a 50 mile a day commute and don't like stacking up the miles on my current bike, just to go to work. I'm still researching the quirks of the Gen 1 bikes and don't know alot about them yet."

They run hot - real hot!

The 03 Silver Streak was the fastest of the FJR litter - by a 'smidge'.

Number 1 and 2 exhaust valves (guides) developed a tick in a few motors during that period. I think it was the 03 and 04 models.

I never had a problem with mine, other than too much farkling.

Kc5
"I'm actually considering picking up an older Gen 1 bike just to ride to work. I have a 50 mile a day commute and don't like stacking up the miles on my current bike, just to go to work. I'm still researching the quirks of the Gen 1 bikes and don't know alot about them yet."

They run hot - real hot!

The 03 Silver Streak was the fastest of the FJR litter - by a 'smidge'.

Number 1 and 2 exhaust valves (guides) developed a tick in a few motors during that period. I think it was the 03 and 04 models.

I never had a problem with mine, other than too much farkling.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if they are hotter than the Honda ST1300? That was the primary reason I chose the FJR over the ST.

I do not know from experience, but that seems to be an issue from what I've read comparing FJRs and STs. IMHO the FJR is a more funner ride
ohmy.png
)

They run hot - real hot!
Actually, it was well established that it was a rider perception issue. Some felt it was hot others didn't with the wide spread of feedback it was generally accepted to be an issue of what rider expectations (and tolerances).

Some ride in areas where any bike in the summer is hot and had time on other fully fared bikes who thought nothing of the FJR in 100+ F temps. Others felt it was "too hot" (on the rider while the bikes' op temps were well within norms) when it got above 70 F. Sometimes it was simply that the rider reporting heat lived in areas that normally "don't get hot". Other times is was reported as related to humidity.

In the end, the feedback was so dispersed that it was attributable to the rider and not the bike.

The STs of the same years were reported as hotter than the FJRs. The FJRs also handed high speeds with more stability than the STs.