FJR not what is cracked up to be

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heet

Reaction score
I have been riding motorcycles on and off since I was thirteen; I have owned 6 bikes; and the one I dislike the most is the FJR.

I bought my FJR after reading numerous articles stating that this was the greatest sport touring bike on the market. Well I am really disappointed with the bike so far. I have had to put on a power commander to compensate for the lack of fuel in the low rpm's. I have had a vibration in the front end since I bought the bike; so I put bar end weights to see if that would help. Now I have a front end wobble; while decelerating from 50 mph the front end wobbles so bad that if I didn't stop it the handle bars would hit the tank. I replaced the tires since I have 6k on the bike, thought that would do it; nope wobble is still there; had the dealer take off the tire and insure it was balanced; nope still there. Now I have to take it back to the dealer; is it possible the bearings are bad? You wouldn't think so at 6k but who knows. I am worried I am going to end up having to pay for the repair..or worst get the same answer I got about the low end hesitation..."oh that is a characteristic of the FJR"....

Hopefully someone looking for an FJR reads this and knows that the FJR is not the end all to sport touring and they save their money.

If anyone needs a power commander or an 06 trunk they most likely will be up for sale in the next few weeks.

:angry:

No, really I am not. I am so frustrated with this bike it sickens me. My last bike was an 03 Meanstreak and other than the accessories I added the only thing I had to do is change the oil and the tires and ride. This bike is so tempermental it is ridiculous.

I have had a vibration in the front end since I bought the bike; so I put bar end weights to see if that would help. Now I have a front end wobble; while decelerating from 50 mph the front end wobbles so bad that if I didn't stop it the handle bars would hit the tank. I replaced the tires since I have 6k on the bike, thought that would do it; nope wobble is still there; had the dealer take off the tire and insure it was balanced; nope still there. Now I have to take it back to the dealer...
You've been riding a bike with these problems for 6000 miles!? :blink:

Punt that P.O.S., drink the kool-aid, and go buy a BMW.

FJR IS a great bike, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. When it comes to motorcycles, one size does not fit all. Definitely sounds like you will be happier with something else.

As for the front end problem, there are many possibilities of the cause, tires just being one (and a common one). Suspension settings/issues (are all your fork settings equal), REAR suspension settings/issues, and head bearings (Simply adjusted correctly) can all be causes of 'the shake'. Or, it's possible you got a 'bad' FJR and there is some frame/geometry misalignment. Has it ever been down or wrecked?

You can CHOOSE to let it piss you off, or you can CHOOSE to be more positive in the search for the solution.

If your are going to do the former, and not the latter, than go re-read my first line.

Punt that P.O.S., drink the kool-aid, and go buy a BMW.
FJR IS a great bike, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. When it comes to motorcycles, one size does not fit all. Definitely sounds like you will be happier with something else.

As for the front end problem, there are many possibilities of the cause, tires just being one (and a common one). Suspension settings/issues (are all your fork settings equal), REAR suspension settings/issues, and head bearings (Simply adjusted correctly) can all be causes of 'the shake'. Or, it's possible you got a 'bad' FJR and there is some frame/geometry misalignment. Has it ever been down or wrecked?

You can CHOOSE to let it piss you off, or you can CHOOSE to be more positive in the search for the solution.

If your are going to do the former, and not the latter, than go re-read my first line.
I bought the bike new this year, it has never been down. I already checked to insure the front end is equal. I am just amazed at the issues I have had with this bike. I have never experienced this with any of my other bikes. Is it a Yamaha thing?

I am hopefull that the new dealer will figure it out; the dealer I used to put on the tire test drove it and said it was fine....

I'm surprised. I'm in the other club of very satisfied and thrilled owners of the FJR. No problems with the bike at all. Perhaps you got a lemon. In fact, of all the owners I've ever heard from, I've never heard this kind of talk about the FJR. Have you ever ridden one without the problems you describe? If so, what did you think of that ride? If not, go ride one and see what you think then.

Look directly to the left of this statement.

What is amazing about this forum is the first time anyone says anyting negative about the all mighty FJR, they get ridiculed. I am not whining; I am looking for hopefully answers to my concerns and to see if others have had the same issues and how they may have corrected them.

I am not saying anything about your mother I am stating facts about the issues I have with the FJR I purchased.

Twenty eight thousand miles and only routine service and lots of tires. Can set the vista cruiser at any speed and let go of the bars and ride the bike like my old schwinn. Sorry to hear you can't work out the problems. But there was a yamaha v-max snowmobile, that after getting yanked by the dealer for the umteenth time, I called Yamaha and told them where they could pick up the p.o.s. and I never wanted to see it again. I never had to, they called the dealer and told them to fix it if they had to give me a new one. They wanted it right, call them. These are not usual problems. fred jr.

Twenty eight thousand miles and only routine service and lots of tires. Can set the vista cruiser at any speed and let go of the bars and ride the bike like my old schwinn. Sorry to hear you can't work out the problems. But there was a yamaha v-max snowmobile, that after getting yanked by the dealer for the umteenth time, I called Yamaha and told them where they could pick up the p.o.s. and I never wanted to see it again. I never had to, they called the dealer and told them to fix it if they had to give me a new one. They wanted it right, call them. These are not usual problems. fred jr.

Thanks, I may do that. I am actually taking it back to dealer I bought it from. They are 3 1/2 hours away is the main issue. I am hopefull they are better at servicing the bike then the central OH dealers.

"I am just amazed at the issues I have had with this bike. I have never experienced this with any of my other bikes. Is it a Yamaha thing?"

You aren't the only one amazed with the issues you have had with this bike. I too have been riding since I was a kid (dirt bikes at 8, street bikes the day I turned 15 and a half) and have never had a bike as smooth and trouble free as mine. I have changed the oil, added gas, and went through a set of tires and have 15k on her. I ride 6-8 hours at a time and just love it.

My first thought was, did he get it used from someone who mistreated it? I agree with a few of the others with the suggestion that you ride another FJR to see if it is just not the bike for you, or if your dealer really screwed you!

On the other hand....I'd be happy to take that POS off yer hands for $1,000!

I quess most bikes have some issues-sometimes dependent on year model. My son had an 03 mean streak,kawi had a bunch of transmission problems and recall. His locked up and split the case at seventy +. He did not crash but said it was close and luck. My 06 FJR has a few minor issues but over all is one of the best bikes I have owned and I have had many.

The throttle does need a little work, but with under $100 dollars invested and a little time, i am happy with mine. For the throttle, G2 throttle tube+fred H mod+ barbarian mod (+10)+throttle body sync. Headshake I cant help you with, although I think I have seen some threads about improperly torqued steering head bearings. Might try a search on that.

And never had any headshake problems.

Sorry you have had problems. With my limited experience, the FJR really is an awesome bike, with minimal effort required to get it just the way you want it.

Also recommended mods:

-Change suspension settings.

-Might need different windscreen depending on your dimensions

-Audiovox cruise control.

I am not whining; I am looking for hopefully answers to my concerns and to see if others have had the same issues and how they may have corrected them.
Now, now. Why don't you take a step back and try to be just a bit objective, if you can.

The wording and tone of your initial post was not positive, hopeful, nor in any way asking for help in solving any problems.

It was the post of a disgruntled owner in a very negative state of mind, and surely fit within the category of whining. That kind of post on a forum where 95-98% love our FJRs is going to illicit all kinds of negative feedback. NOT helpful advice.