FJR on gravel and fire roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok ok I win!! !300km on gravel!!! Scott and I crossing the Trans Labrador highway on knobbies!!

Love the look of the FJR on knobbies.
punk.gif

Nice avatar, Wheatie Goober. (post #60)

FJR on knobbies means the fairing is armor?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing keeping me from riding some of the gravel/dirt roads around here are the a$$hats driving huge, dually pickups at excessive speeds, throwing gravel at me. I've been impressed with the FJR's decent handling on the occasions where I've had no choice but to ride on gravel.

For a large, top-heavy road bike, it does rather well.

I agree that the FJR does suprisingly well on gravel. I have 1/4 mile to the main road. I have found that if I get out of the wheel grooves into the deeper gravel, (or if it has just been graded) if I keep balance and just let it dance around some beneath me it is not a big deal. However, this is not at high speeds. You guys with the knobbies rock! Whatever it takes.............

Oh, please get over the FJR and "unimproved roads". Here in NERDS country almost every Fred W ride has some roads which are 'unimproved'. To the consternation of many riders :) The dirt & gravel roads often have a seasonal multiplier where the roads are frozen mud on the bottom with slick, just thawed mud on top. I have pictures.

Oh, please get over the FJR and "unimproved roads". Here in NERDS country almost every Fred W ride has some roads which are 'unimproved'. To the consternation of many riders
smile.png
The dirt & gravel roads often have a seasonal multiplier where the roads are frozen mud on the bottom with slick, just thawed mud on top. I have pictures.
Sounds like many sections of the Hope-Princeton "highway", particularly in springtime.
unsure.png

freaking awesome pix.. 1 dual sport, 2 fjr's and one with street tires strapped on!

them canadian tow truck pilots are outta control i tell yah..

It can be done. Riding on gravel is not too big o' deal - but not something I would plan on doing unless its limited miles and its only to connect (and too far to go around) two pieces of pavement. There is a trick too on gravel - stand up, keep your body and handling loose. I ride Montana a lot and in the summer I always come across road construction (two seasons in MT - winter and road construction), so its inevitable if one rides a lot. But I would keep it to a minimum.

I've been on quite a few unmade roads. The second-to-worst surface is deep gravel, I found it quite difficult to maintain direction.

The worst I've been on was a mud road with inlaid cobble-stones, crowned, and slick with water and vegetation. That was a real adrenalin ride. Probably would have been better at a slightly higher pace, I was in the middle of a group, travelling fairly slowly, sometimes speed helps stability.

Latest posts