FJR rackday tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd

Reaction score
Thinking about a trackday on the FJR since it's now the closest thing to a sportbike I have. On my R1 I was a Intermediate to Expert rider and I know I won't be treating the FJR like a R1 so I'm wondering if I could just run a sport touring tire like the PRs? Only reservation I have on that is that when I tried runing a street type tire {Pilot Power} on my R1 for better wear {vs Pilot Races}, I ended up chunking the rear due to heat.

Like I said, I know I won't be running the FJR like the R1 but it is heavy and it does have alot of torque. Any 1st hand experience would be welcomed greatly.

Thanks, do 'preciate it. I'm not into the sportbike stuff alot anymore so I hadn't been keeping up with the newest and bestest.

I was so impressed with the PR3s I put on my RT that when I had to get some tires for my Ducati for a track day I went with the PR3s. I was very pleased with their performance, and while they did chunk up a bit, it was not excessive. The side benefit is that you will have a good tire for regular use.

I plan to run the Ducati at the track on Sunday on the same PR3s.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I may have the perfect PR3'2 for a track day. Not much left in the center after a lot of slab commuting, but it would sure be fun to burn off the sides. I just replaced them with same.

Tires are like women. After you get comfortable with one for a spell, you forget how darn good a new one feels ;)

I tracked my FJR with PR2's and they were fine - I was not overly aggressive with them so they held up well...

The FJR is not a track bike, but its definitely doable.... Plenty flickable and fun.....

My first track day ever, I was out on Road America. Started in Novice, was passing too many people apparently, the track Nazi pulled me off and asked me what I was doing... said IDK---- first time out on a track, --- he laughed and said - get your ass in intermediate, and nice job tossin that COW around....
aikido.gif

I've never done a track day...wish I could...but I would think you'd want the grippiest tires you could get...as the track is where you let it all hang out...so to speak.

I did Barber on my '03 FJR and ran Bridgestone's latest sport bike tire (BT-014 I think) and it worked great. They were done when it was over but had great grip and didn't chunk. We had it all too, cold rain, then warm sunshine. You're right, heavy bike + lots of thrust + high speed = massive tire wear.

The FJR will surprise you at how well it'll do though on the track. It will flat hammer out of corners in 2nd or 3rd gear! Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed Wheaton, the PR2's never had an issue and it was a relatively warm day in the 80's... If your looking for a good balance for street to track I can confirm the PR2's did their part....

Ive never ran them but a friend did and crashed. I dont remember which brand he had, continental road attacks maybe. I would like to try the fjr at the track too and looking at the pictures above I might would use them.

I've never done a track day...wish I could...but I would think you'd want the grippiest tires you could get...as the track is where you let it all hang out...so to speak.
I run exactly what I run on the street. I'm not at the track to race, I'm there to improve my skills, while gaining confidence in my bike in a controlled environment.

I don't get much chance to push the old girl over on my daily commute and even getting out of town, there's not much twisties. But when you get into that "Oh crap" situation, it's good to know that THIS bike and THESE tires were pushed harder on the track, so this situation you've found yourself in is nothing. It really helps you keep your head in such situations.

And THAT is why I cornerworked a few weeks ago. Got my free trackday coming up, gonna take Miss Piggy out and see what she can do.
biggrin.png

But when you get into that "Oh crap" situation, it's good to know that THIS bike and THESE tires were pushed harder on the track, so this situation you've found yourself in is nothing. It really helps you keep your head in such situations.
Great point! I haven't done a track day but if I do, this will be the reason why (and just increasing skills too).

Note to self: When leaned over in that "Oh crap" situation do also remember there was no gravel, leaf compost, etc. on the track!
uhoh.gif

Yep, you do. But generally it's better to lean with gravel and leaf compost than to stand it up and run it into the ditch. Stupid brain wants to do what isn't best. It's easier to overpower those reactions when you've been on the track I've found.

I'm not looking for a trackday to learn more about my bike on the street. That may be the end result, but wouldn't be the prime directive for me. Therefore, I don't care what bike I'm on...or how it translates to my comfort on the street. I'm a pretty average rider in the whole spectrum of FJR riders I've ridden with,so I'm no hot shot, nor pretend to be.

If I'm doing a track day, it's to have a blast and to lean harder than I do on the street, wherever I am riding my FJR in the country. Therefore, I want the grippiest tires for whatever rat bike I am riding.

Of course, I've never done a track day in the 10 years I've owned FJRs...and probably would get a "track day bike" that I wouldn't mind rashing if it came to that. $$ are keeping me away from track days. If I have to decide $$-wise between taking an FJR trip or a track day...the FJR trip will win every time. So I'm just waiting for my ship to come in...
biggrin.png

If you are gonna go that far, then I'd recommend a good cheap track bike too.
biggrin.png

Been there done that. It's quite refreshing to roll the bike out and onto the trailer and when you get home roll it back into the garage. No prep, no fuss, no muss. And if you thrash it, well, it cost you less than new FJR plastics.
biggrin.png
Add in that you'll have fun and not feel like you've been wrestling a cow all day long and it's worth it. Nothing like a cheap supermoto or SV650 for getting out there and letting it all hang out.
biggrin.png

Yep, you do. But generally it's better to lean with gravel and leaf compost than to stand it up and run it into the ditch. Stupid brain wants to do what isn't best. It's easier to overpower those reactions when you've been on the track I've found.
No argument from me! I plan to take an experienced rider course sometime soon and wouldn't rule out a track day for myself sometime after that.

Sorry for the sidetrack...now back to tires!

I've already given my recommendation on tires so I'd just like to add my primary reason for trackdays...

FUN!