FJR rider article in SF chronicle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motochick

Reaction score
I thought this was a nice piece written by a local FJR rider (maybe you're reading this Derek) in our paper.

https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../MTIA13VJNQ.DTL

Here's the text:

"I first started riding a motor bike about 10 years ago when I was 60. An elder brother died in a motor bike accident when I was growing up in Britain, so naturally my family was totally against me riding. My wife and I moved to California 11 years ago; prior to that we lived in the United Kingdom where uncertain weather, rain, damp gray skies, marriage and raising three children did not encourage the independence and freedom of motor bike riding.

That all changed when we moved to California and set up home in Daly City. The excellent weather, coastal scenery and access to interesting locations and great roads - together with my wife's support - rekindled my enthusiasm and I duly bought a Yamaha 650 Secca. After a couple of years I bought a Yamaha V Star 1100 and rode that for about five years. Although I ride several times a week, mainly to relatively nearby locations, my main interest is long-distance touring. I've done several of those trips, including a ride to Seattle and down the Pacific Coast Highway. Last year I rode to the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

A ride I dreamed about for several years included trips to Yellowstone National Park and Mount Rushmore. As the trip would be longer than 3,500 miles, it prompted the purchase of a Yamaha FJR 1300 ABS, which I have owned for about six months. It is the perfect touring machine: comfortable, more than enough power, great brakes, a large fuel tank and capacious hard bags to accommodate about two weeks worth of clothing!

When planning the ride I realized that I could visit friends in Spokane, Wash., before heading east, and that the ride to Mount Rushmore would take me through or close to several places that are part of the American heritage. I set out on this year's ride in July. My route took me through Northern California, Oregon and along the Columbia River, part of Lewis and Clark's route west, to Spokane. I then headed east through Idaho, Montana and Wyoming to Yellowstone National Park, which has amazing scenery. From there I went to Cody, Wyo., and took in a rodeo. Next, on to the site of Custer's Last Stand where Custer lost to the American Indians under Chief Sitting Bull. From there I headed to Devil's Tower, used extensively in the film "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." At last I was heading to South Dakota and my destination.

I stayed in historic Custer, which was only a short distance from the Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore monuments. They were epic and awe-inspiring monuments to American history, and I felt privileged to be there and to visit them. I had completed my journey and had visited many American classic locations that until then I had only read about. The return trip took me back through Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Nevada and back to California - 3,927 miles later.

There is no better way of enjoying the varied, interesting and diverse scenery of this country than on a motor bike. An old biker was once asked to explain the enjoyment of riding in the open air, and he apparently responded: "Look at a dog who has its head out of a car window. He knows."

I learned to ride and make the transition from four wheels to two through the California Motorcycle Training Program. I recommend and encourage anyone thinking of enjoying the freedom and flexibility of motor bike riding to utilize this program, it is excellent and makes you aware of - and prepared for - riding on the congested roads of the Bay Area and to adventures beyond."

Good stuff. Throw in some Colorado, Arizona, Southern and Eastern Utah, a little New Mexico and it sounds a lot like the ride Jenny and I took in July. We may have even crossed paths as every year we see more and more FJRs out doing what they do best, racking up the miles. We went 5500 miles on that trip, they just keep getting longer every year. Once you have the bug, it's a master that must be obeyed. Jenny turned the 3200 pictures she took last year into a 6 part DVD, set to music from the MP3 player, and once a week or so we load them up and watch them on the big TV. Good times. I've already got the trip for next year planned out, and I'm even thinking beyond that. If our obsession with the bike trips is a sickness, I sure hope we get a lot sicker in the coming years.

I love hearing about older...uhhhh...more experieinced among us kicking back and enjoying riding. I hope I'm riding into my 70s!

Good stuff. Throw in some Colorado, Arizona, Southern and Eastern Utah, a little New Mexico and it sounds a lot like the ride Jenny and I took in July. We may have even crossed paths as every year we see more and more FJRs out doing what they do best, racking up the miles. We went 5500 miles on that trip, they just keep getting longer every year. Once you have the bug, it's a master that must be obeyed. Jenny turned the 3200 pictures she took last year into a 6 part DVD, set to music from the MP3 player, and once a week or so we load them up and watch them on the big TV. Good times. I've already got the trip for next year planned out, and I'm even thinking beyond that. If our obsession with the bike trips is a sickness, I sure hope we get a lot sicker in the coming years.
I'm envious. I haven't taken any long trips yet mostly because of health issues and uncomfortable sportier bikes. But that's exactly why I got this FJR to be comfortable for the long rides and still have a bike I can scrape pegs on. I look forward to venturing beyond Cali next year and seem more of the beauty of this country.

-jen

I hope you do motochick. I started doing the long trips back in the early 90's on a V-65 Magna. As spartan as that bike was as a long distance mount, it gave me the bug. Bad. When the FJR came along, it opened a whole new world to me in regards to the bike part of the trips. Seeing the country via back roads, small towns and natural wonders is an experience just to great to be missed. This bike gives me the best of both worlds in both the ride and the places I get to see and experience while riding it.

Seeing the country via back roads, small towns and natural wonders is an experience just to great to be missed. This bike gives me the best of both worlds in both the ride and the places I get to see and experience while riding it.
Gunny! I've only been on two long trips (3500+ miles) but I'm hooked. I work with a bunch of bikers that make an annual 9 day long trip and it's the best way to see the country, meet people and understand the landscapes of local culture. I'm hooked on the long trips.

I haven't taken any long trips yet mostly because of health issues and uncomfortable sportier bikes.......
Just make them more comfortable by adjusting ergos specifically for you.... and have the best of all worlds!

LDBusa_Aug08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a sweet lookin busa :clapping:

I like the extra long drink hose.

That's a sweet lookin busa :clapping: I like the extra long drink hose.
There are few greater pleasures in life than the ability to pound down ice water when riding through the burning Desert West... B)

That said, I need to reposition the hydration system altogether... the drink tube collapses starting around 95-ish mph, making it really hard to pull water up.... :D

My wife and I moved to California 11 years ago; prior to that we lived in the United Kingdom where uncertain weather, rain, damp gray skies, marriage and raising three children did not encourage the independence and freedom of motor bike riding.
Great write up. Thanks for sharing. I learned to ride amidst the conditions described above, not knowing any better. Moving to CA showed me what paradise on earth can be for a motorcyclist. I thought I'd grown out of riding, after marriage and kids, but the passion was still there. Like the writer, I got a VStar and loved it, then an FJR. Can't beat it.

Jill