FJR upgrades

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoghead

Reaction score
Greetings,

As you can see, a newbie so with that being said what upgrades would you suggest?

I'm looking for a backrest setup (for GF) as I'm not sure yet on the trunk option. Like what I have read on the Heli-Bar setup but shopping for a lower price. Throttlemeisters are a must.

Any other comfort suggestions you can throw my way?

Thank you in advance.

hh

Welcome to the forum. I typed "backrest" into the search and came up with many threads. I think this one will be helpful: clicky here!

Other comfort needs will become apparent after you have put some more miles on the bike. Once you come over to the "dark side" of farkling the bike, your credit card company will be happy with the interest they'll make.... :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. I typed "backrest" into the search and came up with many threads. I think this one will be helpful: clicky here!
Other comfort needs will become apparent after you have put some more miles on the bike. Once you come over to the "dark side" of farkling the bike, your credit card company will be happy with the interest they'll make.... :dribble:
I'll check it out. Yeah, the CC is already up there from my other bike. LOL.

Thank you MM.

hh

Greetings,
As you can see, a newbie so with that being said what upgrades would you suggest?

I'm looking for a backrest setup (for GF) as I'm not sure yet on the trunk option. Like what I have read on the Heli-Bar setup but shopping for a lower price. Throttlemeisters are a must.

Thank you in advance.

hh
i prefer functionality. i got skyway's delrin sliders, to hopefully protect the bike in a get-off that i hopefully won't have since i now have the sliders on (murphy's law and all). hyperlites on back. fjr randy's horn harness and louder aftermarket horns (soon to be installed). ergo g2 throttle for the genII herky-jerky off idle response.

hth

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently installed the G2 Ergonomics throttle fix along with the grip puppies over gel grips. Great addition, well worth the money and easy install. I went with a throttle lock over the Throttlemeister for cost reasons, works very well. For me the factory seat works fine, done a few 500 mile days since I bought the bike the last week of March. 2500 miles so far and it seems fine. The only other addition I will make will be a new windshield for the highway, unsure which one yet, still comparing them and trying to decide. Most important thing you can buy is good riding gear. Long haul comfort is important, and you get what you pay for with riding gear. A good MP3 player with good earphones is also a must. My philosophy on farkles is that if it's just for looks I don't want it.

When I bought my bike I rode it bone stock for the fall and thought what I might like to improve on.

Then I had the whole winter to read the forums and see what everyone had.

Many people like the bike different ways. Make it your ride.

Greetings,
riding and puting some miles on the bike so you know what you WANT/NEED instead of what someone else thinks you need.

personally? [see above for how valid other's opinions are] i recommend the $30 for a Vista Cruise instead of the $150 of a TM. There are a lot of options for bar risers, do some googling and also some searching here for "risers".

yeah. ride the piss out of your bike - miles, not bouncing off the rev limiter. personal experience will teach you what you need and don't need.

For me and upgrades, keep it simple only what I need, which is not much. I bought the bike to ride

and not accessorize it to much. Suspension front and rear being done june 11th. at gp suspensions

throttle miester, seat corbin mag knight tank protector maybe fork brace have to check out the suspension after it is done on the ride home. There are a whole bunch of farkles out there that I would like but do I really need them??????? You decide......... buy the best protection for gear...

weekend rider :D

Thank you folks. Your ideas on just riding the bike and then decide is a very valid point. Since it is now HOT in Arizona this will give me plenty of time to research and read. I don't do well in 115 degree heat.

Gear? Oh, I have plenty and so does the GF. Never ride without it as my other bike is a Hayabusa.

hh

As usual I love my Sargent seat (I got the rider only $300) couldn't have done my recent 2000 mile ride without it.

G2 throttle cam mod fixed the too tight/abrupt throttle and was quick and easy to install.

I love my Garmin Zumo GPS and with the low Techmount between the handlebars replacing the steering head stem nut it looks good too.

Enjoy!

Steve

Since you are in AZ. two things you will need are a long extension cord and a dam good air conditioning unit to stay cool. :yahoo:

weekend rider :D

Being originally from west Texas, and riding from Dallas to west Texas frequently, one of the best pieces of gear I have bought for warm weather riding is the cool vest. Get it wet, wring it out, put it over a coolmax t-shirt under a mesh jacket and take off. Relatively inexpensive, 30-or 40 bucks. Worth every penny, I would pay double for one now after having used one. Temps in west Texas aren't to far off from Az, something to consider.

Seat, heli triple clamp, power commander, wild bill's highway pegs, also consider audiovox cruise control (cheaper than throttle lock and true cruise). Good luck and ride safe. Everett

Keep the Special Other happy first rule .

Take her for several rides, then surprise her. Get a sheepskin seat cover it will help a great deal on any bike and your SO will realy love it .Tell her you knew the seat wasn't as confortable for her as it could be so you ordered the cover from Australia just for her .Make sure when you return from the ride there are her favourite flowers inside the house ( get a neigbour's wife to hide them and put them in the hoiuse while you two are riding).Have a nice chineese meal ( or whatever she prefers ) that night, you will be rewarded for all your kindness . She will not be jealous of the money and time you spend in the future with your mistress FJR.When you go on the next ride with her mention the the thottle fix ( when it is a good moment ) cause your arm would find it easier, she will of course agree .When you go home sugest another meal ,and you on way to having a wonderfull time riding with the approval of the SO.

Keep the Special Other happy first rule .
Take her for several rides, then surprise her. Get a sheepskin seat cover it will help a great deal on any bike and your SO will realy love it .Tell her you knew the seat wasn't as confortable for her as it could be so you ordered the cover from Australia just for her .Make sure when you return from the ride there are her favourite flowers inside the house ( get a neigbour's wife to hide them and put them in the hoiuse while you two are riding).Have a nice chineese meal ( or whatever she prefers ) that night, you will be rewarded for all your kindness . She will not be jealous of the money and time you spend in the future with your mistress FJR.When you go on the next ride with her mention the the thottle fix ( when it is a good moment ) cause your arm would find it easier, she will of course agree .When you go home sugest another meal ,and you on way to having a wonderfull time riding with the approval of the SO.
ROFL! More work to make the little woman happy than to make the ride :blink:

A good reason why I will not remarry. Don't like my bike?... See ya! :lol: