FJR will not run.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the foremost being starting it then quickly shutting it off before it has a chance to warm up. This leaves quite a bit raw fuel in the chambers, and promotes condensation there also, making the next attempt to start iffy at best, especially if the plugs have a lot of time on them.

OK, then bingo on that one. If that is a big issue, then that's what happened here.

Last time I started it was during a cold day a few weeks ago just hear it run. (I know, silly, but sometimes you just have to hear an engine run)

Only ran about 1-2 minutes and shut it down.

Thanks. You the man! Or the Rad-man, whichever...

the foremost being starting it then quickly shutting it off before it has a chance to warm up. This leaves quite a bit raw fuel in the chambers, and promotes condensation there also, making the next attempt to start iffy at best, especially if the plugs have a lot of time on them.

OK, then bingo on that one. If that is a big issue, then that's what happened here.

Last time I started it was during a cold day a few weeks ago just hear it run. (I know, silly, but sometimes you just have to hear an engine run)

Only ran about 1-2 minutes and shut it down.

Thanks. You the man! Or the Rad-man, whichever...
MH, Don't think the Radman was refering to a 1 to 2 minute running period. More like just a 1 to 2 second period. Like "quickly" shutting it off before a warmup. Don't think 1 to 2 minutes could cause the symptoms you describe. Just a thought. PM. <>< :D

Welp,,,,, Murphy just slapped the crap outa me here recently. First my Mustang catches fire, then my wife's Miata stops running. I get the Mustang worked out and now my FJR has wigged out on me,,,,,,,,,,,,,, again!

For anyone that remembers I had a bad problem last year with the FJR not running. In that occurrence the bike cranked, ran for about 20 seconds and cut off as if you hit the kill switch. This was about two weeks after doing a 7K mile trip out west. Well long story short on that was that it kicked my butt and I gave up and took it to a dealership thinking they could figure it out. No dice,,,, never did figure it it. Dern thang just "fixed itself" sorta kinda and we never did figure out what the initial problem was.

Fast forward almost perfectly a year and I do a 5K mile trip and a week later the bike does the exact same thing as before. I went to start it up today and zip,,, nada,,,, ain't gonna happen. I cranked it, it started and ran for about five seconds and it shut off as if the kill switch was hit exactly as it did before. It will crank but it doesn't even try to fire. Man this pisses me off. :banghead:

Like I said,,, last year we never figured out the original problem. We "guessed" it was a loose ECU plug that one of us {either me or the mechanic at the dealership} wiggled and possibly "fixed" while attempting to trouble shoot or possibly a bad ignition switch. The problem never came up again so I lost interest in trying to really and truly find the cause of the problem. Seems I got another chance ehh?

There are a couple of coditions that are the same in both instances. First off,,,, in both cases the bike was ridden long distances {roughly 7K and 5K respectively}. In both instances the bike sat for awhile right after doing all those miles. In other words, I rode the piss outa it and put her up wet so to speak. In both instances the bike was ridden is some extremely wet conditions. Wet enough to frig up my 12V cig plug in! The wet conditions just might be the key here. But,,,, this time I didn't do any washing of the bike car wash or not!

Seriously man,,,,, what's the chances of this crap popping up again in almost exactly the same cicumstances? Seriously crappy luck in one respect but I reckon I'm glad it's happened twice right after a big trip while at home so could be considered good luck. Glass half full and all that jazz I suppose.

Anywho,,, I will try to look into the switch thing tomorrow but if anyone here has any ideas or like experiences please throw them up here. Could use all the help I can get.

Judd,

I'm right there with ya man! (nope, didn't have car fires, sorry to hear that, but) I now have the same issue with my 05', stock ignition, finished a 3500 mile trip 6 weeks ago, ran for about 5 minutes about 2 weeks ago, then last night, start, runs for 2 secs, dies! Tried for half a dozen more times, (with and w/o WOT), but still no fire, just cranks. Did smell fuel so yeah, I flooded it, but couldn't get it started again with the slower cranking of the now abused battery (always has Battery Tender on when at home).

Battery tender on overnight, tried this morning, tried to fire once, then WOT tried, no dice! I'll try a battery load tester tonight after work to assure proper voltage. Never (never say never) have had an issue with this bike since new until now :angry: Post up if you figure yours out.

Thx.

JW

Judd,I'm right there with ya man! (nope, didn't have car fires, sorry to hear that, but) I now have the same issue with my 05', stock ignition, finished a 3500 mile trip 6 weeks ago, ran for about 5 minutes about 2 weeks ago, then last night, start, runs for 2 secs, dies! Tried for half a dozen more times, (with and w/o WOT), but still no fire, just cranks. Did smell fuel so yeah, I flooded it, but couldn't get it started again with the slower cranking of the now abused battery (always has Battery Tender on when at home).

Battery tender on overnight, tried this morning, tried to fire once, then WOT tried, no dice! I'll try a battery load tester tonight after work to assure proper voltage. Never (never say never) have had an issue with this bike since new until now :angry: Post up if you figure yours out.

Thx.

JW
I haven't had time to look into mine at all. Well,,,,, I've actually had plenty of time but I would rather play than work. I will post up though if and when I fould out the problem.

For anyone that remembers I had a bad problem last year with the FJR not running. In that occurrence the bike cranked, ran for about 20 seconds and cut off as if you hit the kill switch. Well long story short ,,,, never did figure it it. Dern thang just "fixed itself" sorta kinda and we never did figure out what the initial problem was.
Fast forward almost perfectly a year and I went to start it up today and zip,,, nada,,,, ain't gonna happen. I cranked it, it started and ran for about five seconds and it shut off as if the kill switch was hit exactly as it did before.

Seriously man,,,,, what's the chances of this crap popping up again in almost exactly the same cicumstances? Seriously crappy luck in one respect but I reckon I'm glad it's happened twice right after a big trip while at home so could be considered good luck. Glass half full and all that jazz I suppose.
Sorry to hear. Thought you killed this problem. Electric problems like these absolutely can recur. Typically, I find them where there's the edge of a water stain, which is where some semi-conductive residue crud gives you a short, but only when humid or wet.

Here are a few ideas:

1. I'm still not convinced that you don't have an intermittent key-switch problem. With the bike running, slowly flex the harness going into it to see if there's an intermittent connection. Definitely the place I'd start.

2. With the bike running, slowly flex and manipulate the harness at the ECU and at the ECU connector to see if there's an intermittent connection in either.

3. If you have some way to borrow a second ECU, try running with that for a while.

4. Do the following for the oxygen sensor and for the throttle position sensor: With the bike running, slowly flex the wire harness and see if you can get either to misbehave. If not, disconnect and hook an ohm meter, flex the harness a bit and see if you can get a drop-out. Probably not if you got this far, so here's the trick - sprinkle some water where the wire enters and keep flexing things to see if the water made a change.

5. Lift the tank and pretty much over the #3 exhaust valve is a large white rectangular electrical connector. Take it apart and make sure one of the pins isn't all corroded. It's casued problems for some of us who rain-ride a lot.

We're learning from you, so keep us informed, too!

Bob

She runs! Guess pulling my tool box up to the bike convinced it to start. Before tearing into it, I tried starting one last time with WOT and it stumbled once, then lit. Ran a bit rough when holding a steady rpm, so first thing I'll do is freshen up the TBS and probably check the plugs plus inspect the connector under the "T" bar.

Judd, hope you figure out what the problem is as although mine is now running, I'd like to figure out what it was and correct it.

Update 7-28 TBS was off a bit ( one cyl was about 2 ticks off on the Carbtune II) got that set, started and ran fine. Spark plugs looked good and the under gas tank connector was corrosion free. Air cleaner was fine so whatever caused it has not reared it's ugly head again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am having this problem. I did a 9 day trip, put it away for a few day's, started it up for a few seconds one night, shut it off, then tried to start it the next day. It ran for about 4 seconds and died. Now it cranks but won't start and I am getting a number 16 showing up on the display. I assume it is a code, the book says it is a stuck throttle position sensor.

Tomorrow I'll dig into it and see what I can find.

I'll try tapping on the sensor, unplugging some plugs and checking for corrosion, etc.

Has anyone else had any codes or numbers ever show on the display? This is the first time I've had this happen so I am assuming that it is a diag. code.

Finally got around to investigating the problem on my FJR. Been way busy dealing with other Murphy visitations so about a month after the problem happened I finally got around to it. Seems my problem is related to that dern ECM harness plug,,,,,,,, I think, maybe, hopefully.

Well I got the FJR running today. Pulled it out and jumped it with the car. Nothing, nada, zilch,,,, didn't even try to start. Even shot some ether to it and tried different throttle positions after reading that some FJRs have ECMs that apparently just freaks out and floods the engine especially when you start it for a second then shut it off {which I didn't do either time}.

I could hear the fuel pump cycling so that ruled that out. I had fuel at the injector manifold so that was ruled out. Was getting ready to check for voltage at the injectors when I figured it would be wise to check spark before going there so pulled the tank off and found no spark at all. I could hold the spark plug terminal with my hand and not feel a thing. Started scratching my head on what to check first and just reached down and pulled the ECM connector off and put it back on. Tried to start it and immediately got a "pooft". I put the tank back on and started trying to start it again and with alot of coughing, spitting and rough running it finally started and ran!!!!

The previous owner had installed a Accumen gear indicator and a set of stupid ass blingy lights and he or the mechanic he got to install the crap used wire taps to splice into the harness to get power and signal. The taps were placed right at the ECM plug. I told the last mechanic to get rid of that crap but he left the wire taps on it. I removed the taps and checked the tapped area for signs of corrosion or the possibility that the wire was partially cut by the taps and found no evidence of either. I sprayed some aerosol liquid tape on the wires, let it dry then added some electrical tape to the area for more protection. Also paid close attention to one of the ECM pin out terminals that seems loose in the ECM harness plug. Pushed it back completely into the plug and buttoned everything back up.

Runs like a damned top which I'm happy about but honestly I didn't see anything that would have definitively stopped ignition and that worries me. Basically all I did was pull the plug out and plug it back in and apparently that is all it took to restore ignition. Oh well,,,,,, it's running. Hope it stays that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am having this problem. I did a 9 day trip, put it away for a few day's, started it up for a few seconds one night, shut it off, then tried to start it the next day. It ran for about 4 seconds and died. Now it cranks but won't start and I am getting a number 16 showing up on the display. I assume it is a code, the book says it is a stuck throttle position sensor.Tomorrow I'll dig into it and see what I can find.

I'll try tapping on the sensor, unplugging some plugs and checking for corrosion, etc.

Has anyone else had any codes or numbers ever show on the display? This is the first time I've had this happen so I am assuming that it is a diag. code.
There is your problem. The FJR's ECU reacts badly when the engine isn't allowed to run through the "warm-up" cycle. A number of us have had the problem when we started our bikes then shut them off. The cure is to start it like it's flooded...twist the throttle WFO and start the bike. It should start and run rough, sputter, shake and wheeze but keep the engine running and it will clear itself.

Trust me, you are not the first to suffer this malady! I ended up pulling my spark plugs and cleaning them while letting the cylinders "air out". Then my bike started (I was trying to leave for a 3-day get together I had planned.) Evidently the ECU stays on "enriched" when the bike isn't allowed to warm up and return to normal idle so that the injectors are squirting too much gas into the cylinders.