FJRF009.2: "Intermittent Ground Wire Connection"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that it had been said that the dealer cannot order the harness without first inspecting, but my dealer told me they have both on the way for me with no inspection. I asked them to do that so I would minimize my down time. They are quite clueless though, so I strongly suggext that only the sub-harness shall arrive, but they said both should be here any day. We'll see.

Just curious about the time frame of the repair. The letter stated 3 hours. My Dealer Columbus IN Yamaha has had my 08 Fjr a week and still not done.

What has been the average time kept for repair if I may ask??

Bad thing is I leave for vacation (motorcycle trip) at the beginning of next week all pre paid and now might not have a bike to go on !!!!

This may be the last of Yamaha for me, only after buying 7 new bike's in the last 8 years.
Update, called dealer today, they (Columbus IN Yamaha/Kawasaki) said they still had not got to it. So I went and got it, last time ever going there for anything...... Bunch of idiots
Good call. For the next dealer, make sure you have your ducks in a row - read up and be informed BEFORE you call them and find out if they know what the hell is going on. Reader's Digest version: First thing the dealer has to do is inspect your wiring harness. If your wiring harness is in good condition they will install a jumper. This is a relatively easy procedure. Many dealers already have the part on hand in the shop (something you should ask) and those that don't should be able to get it in a few days if they order it right away. If inspection reveals that your wiring harness is damaged then it will need to be replaced with an updated harness. This could take a LONG time as word is those replacement harnesses are out of stock and months away from being readily available. So you will want to discuss with the dealer ahead of time your options of getting your bike back while waiting for that part. I know this is a long thread, but there is lots of good info in it that will help you understand the issue and what questions you need to ask your dealer.
Your right skooterG lots of good stuff here, however I did speak with the dealer about the recall on the phone 4 days before dropping it off, they hadn't heard about the recall until looking it up on-line. They told me to bring it in that next Monday. I Did. I called the next day, I was told it had to be inspected first, which hadn't been done. I was then told it would be done on Friday, not, I called Saturday, still nothing done. When I picked my fjr up I wasn't real happy however I was told the harness it self was fine just need to add the (jumper) sub wire. So I got the bike back Yeah, but now have to find another place someday to get the work done...

Looks like the sub-harness provides a new ground path to the battery for ONLY one spider connection.  But ties in to an existing ground harness connector under the battery, not directly to the battery negative terminal. Obviously, Brodie's (and Roadrunner's?) harness is more robust and a more complete solution. I'll pass on the recall, as I already installed Brodie's harness.
Yep, after reading the "Remedy" .pdf posted, it appears that Yamaha is doing a mini Brodie harness for just the S-4 connector. What a half-@ssed solution to a major grounding issue. When I installed Brodie's harness, I found the spider near the front left turn signal showing signs of corrosion. Chalk up Yamaha's solution as a cost-effective band-aid approach appearing to solve the problem - unbelievable! :angry2:
Certainly if you have Brodie's or Art's Harness installed, then you are protected against this failure, but I for one put off spending my farkle money on one of these great, but way overkill, solutions in favour of waiting for Yamaha to produce a solution. I'm very happy that Yamaha has come up with what looks like a very effective solution.
yahoo.gif

...You 2nd genners may be all giddy that Yamaha has finally paid some attention to this safety issue, but IMO this glass is only half full. YSMV.
Seems to me that your glass is twice as large as it needs to be! :p

I have a question or three... I bought a harness from Brodie for my 2008, but I have not yet installed it.

Now that I got my recall letter, should I...

A. Get the recall done and skip the Brodie harness?

B. Install the Brodie harness and then have the recall done?

C. Get the recall done and then install the Brodie harness?

Mack
I would say "A" is the right answer if you had not already purchased the Brodie harness...

... but since you already have the Brodie fix, the answer should be 'D. Install the Brodie Harness and skip the Recall!'
wink.gif

Took my bike in this morning for the fix. The Dealer said everything was fine and saw no corrosion or burnt areas so....

They stuck in the "fix" and I'll pick up the bike after work. So far, so good.

Still have to get the bike though :unsure:

Took my bike in this mornng for the fix. Since my plugs have over 20K on them I asked what the charge would be to install new ones while the tank was off. The service manager said that since the plugs would be easy to get to there would be no charge. I did have to pay a little extra for the NGK Iridium plugs, $10 each, but still thought it was a good deal.

The dealership is in Sublimity, Oregon and they have a large inventory of Yamaha and Kawasaki motorcycles. They had three new FJR's and a couple of new C14's.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been almost two months since I was first bitten by the Spider on my '06 AE. About a week later, the recall was issued. I have ridden the bike only about 4 or 5 times since. Just for short trips to & from the store, nothing extensive. I had not ridden in about two weeks and felt, last night, that I had to ride.

I rode the FJR about 3 miles to a meeting I attend at a local restaurant. After 1.5 hours or so, I got back on her for the ride home. Turned the key and…. UH OH, I had all the lights lit and the wacko instrumentation! She would not start. I tried everything I could think of: I turned her off & on many times, wiggled the cables that I could reach, etc. Nothing.

I finally called the AMA's roadside assistance number. 1.5 hours later a dude showed up with a flat-bed. He was a really nice guy that seemed to have a lot of bike towing experience. We got her home safe and sound, with me loosing at least 2 hours of sleep. Just a hassle, nothing more.

Question: when my dealer is finally ready to inspect and put in the sub-harness/replace original harness, how can I now get the FJR to the dealer? Can I call the AMA roadside assistance again, even though it is not an emergency tow (now it will be from my garage to the dealer)?

Since I have been bitten HARD this time (no starting no matter what I did), is it likely that the harness will show damage on the inspection? What do they consider damage? When I lifted the tank and looked I could clearly see that the black cap was melted. But since they are adding the sub-harness, they no longer need the cap. So is that considered damaged if that is all there is???

Anyone have a reliable date for when the full harnesses will be ready for shipment? Anyone know if there is ANY recourse at all to get Yamaha to reimburse me for a rental/replacement/loner bike? I am VERY frustrated and tired of not being able to ride.

Update: I spoke to the guy in the service department. He says they have the sub-harness and he claims they have the full harness too! I'll believe it when I see it, but that is what he said!!!

Question: when my dealer is finally ready to inspect and put in the sub-harness/replace original harness, how can I now get the FJR to the dealer? Can I call the AMA roadside assistance again, even though it is not an emergency tow (now it will be from my garage to the dealer)?
Does your dealer offer tow services? I wouldn't be surprised if they would tow it for free due to the recall.

Anyone know if there is ANY recourse at all to get Yamaha to reimburse me for a rental/replacement/loner bike? I am VERY frustrated and tired of not being able to ride.
Don't hold your breath. The only way I could see this having a snowball's chance in hell is if you can definitively prove that it's your sole mode of transportation. You won't get anything for loss of a recreational vehicle.

I seem to have an orphan bike. Bike was purchased (used) in the USA and I imported it into Canada. I am "on the books" with a Yamaha dealer in Maine where I had the ECU recall done. The import process is done through the "Registry of Imported Vehicles". I thought they were supposed to ensure that recalls were sent out to anyone who imported any vehicle - maybe not. In any case, I would like to get this done. I haven't received a notice from US or Canadian Yamaha.

I suspect that Yamaha Canada won't want to pay to have a US (origin) bike serviced. I could likely take it back to the US dealer who did the ECU but the inspection and fix #1 or fix #2 would have to be done while I waited since I couldn't leave it and pick it up on a different day. I think I'll give them a call and if they can't (or won't) help me, I'll probably do the Brodie solution.

Anybody else run into this situation?

Ross

I seem to have an orphan bike. Bike was purchased (used) in the USA and I imported it into Canada. I am "on the books" with a Yamaha dealer in Maine where I had the ECU recall done. The import process is done through the "Registry of Imported Vehicles". I thought they were supposed to ensure that recalls were sent out to anyone who imported any vehicle - maybe not. In any case, I would like to get this done. I haven't received a notice from US or Canadian Yamaha.

I suspect that Yamaha Canada won't want to pay to have a US (origin) bike serviced. I could likely take it back to the US dealer who did the ECU but the inspection and fix #1 or fix #2 would have to be done while I waited since I couldn't leave it and pick it up on a different day. I think I'll give them a call and if they can't (or won't) help me, I'll probably do the Brodie solution.

Ross
I imported my FJR as well and have not seen the recall letter either, but then some other Canadians with Canadian FJRs have not been notified yet.

I'll also go out on a limb here and say that Yamaha is recalling all or most it's FJRs worldwide and the current location of any FJR won't make a difference. I'd say, don't worry, they'll catch up to us at some point. Your other option is to go to a dealer and have them verify that your serial number is on the list of recalled bikes. If it is, then the letter probably won't be needed.

ARRRRRGGGGGG. . .I just knew it! I just have to be related to the schmoo in "li'l Abner" (at least I think that was the character that had the cloud that was always following him around). I took the bike in this morning for the "fix", and about an hour in, the mechanic came out and got the shop manager. . . "Uh oh". . . 45 seconds later, the manager came back out and said, "Ed. . .", and I said, "Yeah, I know." He took me back and showed me some melted connections and I called for a ride to pick me up. Damn, we finally get GREAT weather, and I'm going to be without the bike for . . .2 weeks to a month. Ah well, at least she didn't leave me stranded in the mountains or out in the desert. . .

Well, I'm actually already looking forward to getting her back, and then sticking on a set of PR2's (you guys have convinced me) and and a trip down to see Dave at GP Suspension, although I think I'm going to wait until next year for the Penske rear shock.

Just a thought for you guys with failed S4 spiders that are waiting on a replacement harness; why not have the dealer cut the S4 connector off and solder or crimp all the wires together as a temporary repair until the harness comes in? For those of you with a limited riding season, this would get you on the road until the snow flies and then you can schedule the harness replacement. You might have to pay minimal labor to get the bike reassembled if it's not already done. And I suppose some dealers might not want to do this due to liability concerns.

I know that's what I would do. As a matter of fact, I did exactly that as a permanent repair when my S7 Spider failed almost 2 years ago. I've thought about having the dealer replace the harness under warranty, but I don't want to deal with rewiring all my farkles and the bike has been working just fine with my repair. So surely this repair will work for a couple months so you can keep riding.

I finally took the time to read this entire post and call the dealer about this issue. After thorough consideration I have decided to take my ball and go home. Seriously. I have a harness installed, I checked all the spiders prior to that installation and they were clean and nice (plus I greased them), and I don't want to take the time to ride to the dealer, have him inspect it, go home, come back when the part arrives, wait at the dealer or go home, come back to dealer, all the while miss on ride time.

Looking at the information it appears to me that I have the perfect solution in place - one that Yamaha designed for those of us without trouble spiders - so why go through all of that? Not to mention the potential problems that could come from all the farkles I have added. I understand with the supplemental harness this shouldn't be a problem, but I have left the dealer with my newly installed tires at 22 PSI before turning around in the parking lot and asking them WTF?!?!?

To each his own, but I for whatever reason have that fear of dealers, doctors, dentists - the one that goes "I didn't even know I had [insert broken part, disease, cavity here] before I came in."

Just a thought for you guys with failed S4 spiders that are waiting on a replacement harness; why not have the dealer cut the S4 connector off and solder or crimp all the wires together as a temporary repair until the harness comes in? For those of you with a limited riding season, this would get you on the road until the snow flies and then you can schedule the harness replacement. You might have to pay minimal labor to get the bike reassembled if it's not already done. And I suppose some dealers might not want to do this due to liability concerns.

I know that's what I would do. As a matter of fact, I did exactly that as a permanent repair when my S7 Spider failed almost 2 years ago. I've thought about having the dealer replace the harness under warranty, but I don't want to deal with rewiring all my farkles and the bike has been working just fine with my repair. So surely this repair will work for a couple months so you can keep riding.
If you cut the connectors off, they can't install the sub harness, nor could you install a Brodie harness. It would be OK if they acknowledged you're getting a whole new harness.... jes sayin'. Also, what's to prevent you from removing the spidey, cleaning it up with some crocus cloth or wire brush, give the terminals a little squeeze and a little conductive grease and be good for quite a while till your harness comes in..........

Ross
I imported my FJR as well and have not seen the recall letter either, but then some other Canadians with Canadian FJRs have not been notified yet.

I'll also go out on a limb here and say that Yamaha is recalling all or most it's FJRs worldwide and the current location of any FJR won't make a difference. I'd say, don't worry, they'll catch up to us at some point. Your other option is to go to a dealer and have them verify that your serial number is on the list of recalled bikes. If it is, then the letter probably won't be needed.
There will be lots of second/third owners who don't get a letter, depending on whether Yamaha even knows of their existence - just go to the local dealer, have them run the VIN and you should be good to go.

Griff

I'm back after a short hiatus and while I have no plans to post as I did in the past I feel it important to make the folloowing comment. . . . . .

Yamaha is not dealing with the S6 & S7 issues which will (at the very least) take out your lighting. Owners are probably best off buying a Bordie harness because it resolves all of the problems, this even after the inspection and Yamaha's 'solution'. They are doing the absolute mininmum, as forced by the authorities.

I'm not at all convinced, by the way that Yamaha Canada has any obligations whatsoever to owners of imported machines - no different than how they handle warranties. Once you plate a machine outside of the importer's region you are on your own, even if you bring the bike back into the region for service (However, if Yamaha doesn't know you left and your dealer is cool with it you may well be able to travel across the border and get a warranty adjustment). Note that the RIV supposedly notified Yamaha USA of your action . . .

Since Yamaha Canada is an entity financially unrelated to Yamaha USA, I strongly suspect that as the importer of a US machine, you'd either need to hope for the best or perhaps cruise back to the US and hope that Yamaha will honor the recall . . . . . but if they've acted on the RIV notification then likely these machines are now orphaned and it is up to the owner of such a machine to execute the recall at his own expense - that is one of the risks that people who import machines take.

Note that the wiring harness for Canadian machines is not the same as the one for United Statesian ones because up here we have the immobiliser and the ECU and gauges are implicated in that wiring - so Yamaha Canada won;t even have the right harness if you needed one.

I'm back after a short hiatus and while I have no plans to post as I did in the past I feel it important to make the folloowing comment. . . . . .

Yamaha is not dealing with the S6 & S7 issues which will (at the very least) take out your lighting. Owners are probably best off buying a Bordie harness because it resolves all of the problems, this even after the inspection and Yamaha's 'solution'. They are doing the absolute mininmum, as forced by the authorities.

I'm not at all convinced, by the way that Yamaha Canada has any obligations whatsoever to owners of imported machines - no different than how they handle warranties. Once you plate a machine outside of the importer's region you are on your own, even if you bring the bike back into the region for service (However, if Yamaha doesn't know you left and your dealer is cool with it you may well be able to travel across the border and get a warranty adjustment). Note that the RIV supposedly notified Yamaha USA of your action . . .

Since Yamaha Canada is an entity financially unrelated to Yamaha USA, I strongly suspect that as the importer of a US machine, you'd either need to hope for the best or perhaps cruise back to the US and hope that Yamaha will honor the recall . . . . . but if they've acted on the RIV notification then likely these machines are now orphaned and it is up to the owner of such a machine to execute the recall at his own expense - that is one of the risks that people who import machines take.

Note that the wiring harness for Canadian machines is not the same as the one for United Statesian ones because up here we have the immobiliser and the ECU and gauges are implicated in that wiring - so Yamaha Canada won;t even have the right harness if you needed one.
I see it differently although time will tell.

To me this is a Yamaha manufacturer recall, not a Yamaha USA, Yamaha Canada, Yamaha Australia.....recall. I can't believe that the country level distributorships pay directly out of thier own pockets for a manufacturer recall. Why should the distributors be responsible for something that is not their fault. I know warranties can be refused, but now we are talking about a safety recall that governments want to see fixed regardless of where the machine originated.

I do wholeheartedly agree that the Brodie harness is a superior fix compared to the Yamaha fix, but only time will tell if the very robust Brodie harness is absolutely needed. I installed the Brodie harness last spring and am glad I did..... no worries for me regardless of what happens.

...Edited for spelling.

Latest posts