FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
putting Neosporin or something similar in their ears since day 5
Don't need to be an IBR vet to learn that one - I lube the plugs on any ride of significance. Apart from saving the ears from wear and tear, I find the Bacitracin makes for a tighter seal.

So who here is planning on being at the Sheraton Inn in ABQ next Friday morning at 5AM? I am going to be there to welcome Josh. Myself and the others involved feel a kinship with our IBA brother, after rebuilding his forks during the first check point rest period. I haven't heard about any more problems with his front end which is good because his warranty period has past, too many damn miles.
smile.png
See you at the finish line Josh, Ride hard brother!
I'll be there, on this bike. I'll be welcoming in Phil Weston, and everyone else.

Point taken about the rolling intercepts. I'll be heading to ABQ from Wichita tomorrow, along the same path I assume other riders may be taking. If I see any of them, I'll pretend they are just like all the other vehicles on the road, and do my own thing. There will most likely be plenty of opportunities for handshakes and high-fives after the engines cool down.

Edit: And I just decided to get a spot tracker. I'll share the link here. Yes I know the risks. If you crash stalking me, your problem.
smile.png

Grommet - unless you're looking for an emergency beacon when you're out of cell range, I'd recommend you skip the SPOT with its associated fees and go with BubblerGPS if you've got an Android phone, or SWConnect for IOS. They do the same things - connect to Spotwalla, provide updates every 5 minutes, and are FREE!!!!

So who here is planning on being at the Sheraton Inn in ABQ next Friday morning at 5AM? I am going to be there to welcome Josh. Myself and the others involved feel a kinship with our IBA brother, after rebuilding his forks during the first check point rest period. I haven't heard about any more problems with his front end which is good because his warranty period has past, too many damn miles.
smile.png
See you at the finish line Josh, Ride hard brother!
Thanks Bud!!! See you in 37 hrs

Grommet - unless you're looking for an emergency beacon when you're out of cell range, I'd recommend you skip the SPOT with its associated fees and go with BubblerGPS if you've got an Android phone, or SWConnect for IOS. They do the same things - connect to Spotwalla, provide updates every 5 minutes, and are FREE!!!!
Well, nearly everything. Tracking works as long as you're close enough to a cell tower, same goes for getting emergency help. SPOT fees are cheap insurance for getting help . . . should the need arise when traveling the back byways of America and Canada.

Shuey

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I wasn't going to go at 5am, but maybe now I will. I have to be up stupid early tomorrow to pay an unexpected visit to a guy that really dislikes my guys and I. That is interfering with my planned ride with TripperMike. Maybe I should make up for that by being up at 0345 on Friday...Puke.

Then again, apparently I don't "get" any of this stuff, so maybe I should keep my nose out of it. Of course, I could remind a pompous Noob that he can kiss my ass, and I'll show up anyway. Let's see how long tomorrow's little "visit" takes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, nearly everything. Tracking works as long as you're close enough to a cell tower, same goes for getting emergency help. SPOT fees are cheap insurance for getting help . . . should the need arise when traveling the back byways of America and Canada.

Shuey
Yup, I use SWConnect when playing around in the US. North of the border, seems SPOT is the way to go with cell phone plans the way they are and the added safety benefit.

--G

kinda off topic. I remember riding in to Albuquerque in the 10n10 rally a few years back and was greeted by their finest

....here he is holding my rally flag and a note to those in the bleachers.

Good memories, good timez.

1009_10n10-%20(436).jpg

Oops... it automatically used km instead of miles when I looked it up... duh. :rolleyes
First voting, then golf courses, then motorcycle forums. Geeze. Are there any blonde-free zones left in America?
Don't make me come over there, RJ... remember, I got run over by a semi and I'm still here...
flirt.gif

I got the spot and paid for the unlimited service. I'm in Arkansas a lot, in many places without cell coverage. Also Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado on occasion.

My friend hotboot spent most of a day up on the mountain on 16 east of 123 in AR after Bambi attacked him. No service and very little traffic. Russ, look up that thread (when Bambi attacks) on the fz1oa. It was quite the day for him.

To me, and my wife, this is cheap insurance and assurance.

It looks like 3 riders are going to go without a whole lot of sleep from here on out. (1 in NY, 2 in MN) I hope they all make it in time.

Is there an over /under on how many show for the picture at Rushmore? I guess 27.

Well, I wasn't going to go at 5am, but maybe now I will. I have to be up stupid early tomorrow to pay an unexpected visit to a guy that really dislikes my guys and I. That is interfering with my planned ride with TripperMike. Maybe I should make up for that by being up at 0345 on Friday...Puke.Then again, apparently I don't "get" any of this stuff, so maybe I should keep my nose out of it. Of course, I could remind a pompous Noob that he can kiss my ass, and I'll show up anyway. Let's see how long tomorrow's little "visit" takes.
In 2013, I didn't make it to the checkpoint until 7:45, most all of the riders were in already. I suggest getting there as early as possible to catch the excitement.

It looks like 3 riders are going to go without a whole lot of sleep from here on out. (1 in NY, 2 in MN) I hope they all make it in time. Is there an over /under on how many show for the picture at Rushmore? I guess 27.
I agree, they must be hard core to the end. Go big or go home they say.

Dave

Shuey
SWConnect actually buffers your data points when out of cell range, so while you're out of range it saves the data then updates once you're back in cell range. Like I said, if you're looking for an emergency beacon then SPOT is better (but not perfect - we have history on this forum where it didn't work as advertised), but if what you want is a track of your trip for friends or your memories, then the cell services work better, are less hassle (don't need another gadget to mount) and are free.

kinda off topic. I remember riding in to Albuquerque in the 10n10 rally a few years back and was greeted by their finest....here he is holding my rally flag and a note to those in the bleachers.

Good memories, good timez.

[img=[URL="https://www.goraiders.org/bike/100906Mera10n10/resources/images/medium/1009_10n10-%20"]https://www.goraiders.org/bike/100906Mera10n10/resources/images/medium/1009_10n10-%20[/URL](436).jpg]
Holy cow, that was a long time ago. I used to love that car. BTW RJ, at the IBR start, I ran into the guy that was with you in Albuquerque that morning. I was a failure...Not a single MERA guy got a ticket that year. Lol...

There will be a helluva finish for some of the riders!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Holy shit! What a Ride!”― Hunter S. Thompson

Like I said, if you're looking for an emergency beacon then SPOT is better (but not perfect - we have history on this forum where it didn't work as advertised), but if what you want is a track of your trip for friends or your memories, then the cell services work better, are less hassle.
That's not the only downside. If you want your friends and family to be able to track you the whole time and not just when you're in cell tower range, they won't always be able to. That said, free service and a cheap app is a very good value proposition for anybody that doesn't need tracking and transmission in all situations.

Like I said, if you're looking for an emergency beacon then SPOT is better (but not perfect - we have history on this forum where it didn't work as advertised), but if what you want is a track of your trip for friends or your memories, then the cell services work better, are less hassle.
That's not the only downside. If you want your friends and family to be able to track you the whole time and not just when you're in cell tower range, they won't always be able to. That said, free service and a cheap app is a very good value proposition for anybody that doesn't need tracking and transmission in all situations.
Another + of the apps is that when you're not in coverage areas, the app continues to collect data and then updates spotwalla when you get back in range. That's nice for reviewing and sharing trips and such.

But. *Still, hard to beat the awesomeness and robust safety that comes with satellite (SPOT) tracking. Also, to my knowledge, the rallies that require spotwalla (ie: IBR, cognoscente, Big Sky etc etc) they all require SPOT and not apps.

BMR next year might introduce some techy spotwalla functionality ...and either apps or SPOT will be acceptable.

When I "head to the hills", I rarely have cell coverage. I typically ride alone. Note sure my family would bother to look for me, but at least I know my SPOT will keep transmitting until the battery gives out. i did my part. $150/yr is no issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts