FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been great fun watching the riders range out in different directions but now, on the morning of check in, the rubber band starts pulling them back towards Albuquerque. Recognizing that every route and rider will have a different average speed, it's still interesting to estimate the miles they can cover in the remaining time, draw a circle around their destination and see which riders are going to be struggling. AFAIK neither SpotWalla nor Google Maps will let you do that but this web site will https://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/?radiusInput=125&unitSelector=mi

Search for Albuquerque or any destination. Set the radius and units then click on the map at the mid-point of your desired circle. Change the radius and click again to add more circles. Right click a circle to erase. I won't bother with a screen shot because it's just a circle on a map.

This sentence from the latest update made me snaughle: "But, when your nickname is NutJob, it’s not because you stop to think things through."

Susanville is on the move. I think he can make it before 10pm but it's gonna take some pedaling.
He is going to pass a time zone and lose an hour. This doesn't look good for him. I would not want to be riding 1000+ miles watching the ETA on his GPS against the 10:00 pm deadline... stress. Alarm clock failure I wonder?

" The checkpoint opens Thursday at 8 PM (MDT), with penalty points assessed at 1% of arrival points per minute. "

I don't understand. Are all 87 riders expected to check in at 8:00?
Per first post in this thread: Checkpoint One:

Is back at the SHERATON ALBUQUERQUE UPTOWN HOTEL, July 2, 8pm - 10pm

Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm

Scoring opens at 5pm

Dinner - 6pm - 10pm

Leg 2 Bonuses distributed at 6am, July 2
As an IBR keyboardist this year I am going to step out on a limb and speculate that

Leg 2 Bonuses distributed at 6am, July <3>
Good call. Editing source to reflect this correct information....so we don't have to invoke Einstein, relativity, and movies with Matthew McConaughey. :)
Though it would be a fine twist and favor the early birds back to Albequerque! As well as messing with sleep plans...

Here is a compilation of screen captures showing the rider's progress on the first leg through 6am (PDT) this morning. It is fascinating to watch the "rubber band" effect described by others in earlier posts. Please feel free to share the link in other forums if you desire.

I wonder if someone could speak a bit more towards the physiological aspect of doing the IBR. I just got back from an 8 day, 6,000 mile tour of the west and was surprised to find that I had lost 6 pounds, despite being well hydrated. I can't imagine what an 11 day tour with many more miles per day does to a body. What can these folks expect? What parts of the body break down the most? How do they combat the ill effects of long days in the saddle?
To echo what Twigg said, I haven't done an IBR either, but I did the Butt Lite 4, which would have been somewhat similar to what your ride was (7 days, just under 7000 miles in my case). I lost twelve pounds in a week. Part of it was not eating as much or as well as I should have, and part of it was likely hydration issues. The hydration issue wasn't the worst in the 100+ degree temps in Nevada and Arizona, it was actually worse in the horrible humid heat in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi. I didn't pee all day despite drinking a couple gallons of water, plus some Gatorade and a little bit of Diet Coke. It all came out as sweat.

What has been the hardest for me on multi day rides is my eyes. I wear contacts, and my eyes fatiguing or drying out to the point they're painful has happened more than once. I hate riding (or driving) with my glasses because I don't have the peripheral vision I do with contacts. That's where my physical breakdown has been the worst.

I suspect in terms of the food and drink issue, some of the big dogs in the IBR have a system down to a science as to how and what they eat and drink. But everyone is different. One of the best distance motorcyclists I've ever known is a long distance runner who would eat just total crap on rides - corn dogs, ice cream bars, other junk at gas stops and hop back on the bike and ride crazy long miles. I couldn't believe it. His metabolism had to be insane. If any of the Team Strange vets are reading this, you probably know who I'm talking about.
I lost 20 during BL IIII. My typical walking around weight is 175 and I'm about 6'. My record was 4 gallons of water in a day, but I think I actually did pee that day. I saw 122 degrees going through Vegas. Was a rude awakening for a guy from a place where the average annual temp is 50. I remember asking Eric J. what he did to get enough calories in. I did a little better in the 09 IBR only losing 10.

For as hard as these thngs are physically, it doesn't compare to what goes on in your head. It was probably a couple of weeks after BL IIII before I stopped jumping out of bed after 4 hours frantically looking for my rallybook. You are always late, and the stress of that starts to wear on you.

Kinda wish I was out there.

Susanville is on the move. I think he can make it before 10pm but it's gonna take some pedaling.
He is going to pass a time zone and lose an hour. This doesn't look good for him. I would not want to be riding 1000+ miles watching the ETA on his GPS against the 10:00 pm deadline... stress. Alarm clock failure I wonder?
So 960 miles from Fallon NV starting about 7:30am MDT - he's gotta average 68mph for 14hrs to get in my 9:30?

Am I right with that?

right now Google says his ETA is 21:45 although yesterday I noticed a rider made about 70 miles in one SPOT refresh..

Can't be far of BBG pace for some riders to get back in time.
26 hours to get back and at least the one near Umatilla is 1300 miles if they snag just the John Day one. My guess is they're snagging some others on the way, but I'd say they're right in the butter range for miles per day for the IBR. The rubber band is starting to tug on those outliers though.....
Ya, I think some riders will be down to the wire. ..24'ish hours to go as I type this.

Countdown + Map (click)

RJ
RenoJohn,

Isn't this timer counting down to 9:00pm MDT?

1 hour into penalty, AND 1 hour before it closes?

So 960 miles from Fallon NV starting about 7:30am MDT - he's gotta average 68mph for 14hrs to get in my 9:30?

Am I right with that?
At his last location, I show 890 miles to the barn, by way of US-95 from Tonopah to Las Vegas.

In his situation, I might be sorely tempted to add the extra 45 miles and use the ET Highway from Tonopah to Alamo, and then US-93 into Vegas. US-95 is heavily patrolled by local instant-on LEOs, while an experienced rider with the right equipment can make up time using the alternate route, even with the extra distance.

But even so, he's gonna need to bust out an epic ride to make it in time.

There is definately going to be some high speed runs just to make the 10:00PM cut off.

Watching closely, Beers are chilling in the fridge when I get home.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode 95 last weekend on my way to Albuquerque for the start of the rally and 95 has construction on it just north of Las Vegas. The construction was closing the road off and on periodically. The thought of sitting out in 110 degree heat did not sound appealing so I cut across to Warm Springs, Crystal Springs and down to I-15. Empty, Empty roads out there... He could really move out there and not see too many people out there, He will need to watch out for the cows as several of them were on the road as I came through and did not move until i got really close... Then they bolted.

Good Luck and God Speed rider!!

Dave

26 hours to get back and at least the one near Umatilla is 1300 miles if they snag just the John Day one. My guess is they're snagging some others on the way, but I'd say they're right in the butter range for miles per day for the IBR. The rubber band is starting to tug on those outliers though.....
Ya, I think some riders will be down to the wire. ..24'ish hours to go as I type this.

Countdown + Map (click)

RJ
RenoJohn,

I don't think so ….but double check my math please. If the riders can figure it out while juggling with all on their plate, I'd hope we can too!!

0023f8dc-71ba-4eaa-8e3e-323f12713162.jpg

Here is a picture of an FJR rider this morning at the North entrance to the Colorado Nat. Monument outside of Fruita Colorado. Time was about 6:15 local...

The ride was Canadian and stopped real quick to say hi and thanked me. 15 Sec and he was gone!

He was one of 4 riders I saw this morning. The first 2 i did not get good pictures of. (dumb camera would not focus) the 3 one was very surprised to see me.

Dave

Countdown + Map (click)

RJ
RenoJohn,

I don't think so ….but double check my math please. If the riders can figure it out while juggling with all on their plate, I'd hope we can too!!
Works for me RJ. 9 am plus 10 = 1900 hrs = 7pm PDT = 8pm MDT.

Countdown + Map (click)

RJ
RenoJohn,

Works for me RJ. 9 am plus 10 = 1900 hrs = 7pm PDT = 8pm MDT.
Hi all, first real post. Love the coverage and discussion here... Thank you FJR forum for hosting the mayhem.

I get the same result as you. 8:00 Mountain is when the countdown clock zeros.

The gives the rider 12 hours before a DNF. The last spot ping I saw was 842-ish miles from ABQ. To make the cut-off, said rider will need to keep up a 70 MPH average.

I promised myself that I'd only check how things were going in the morning and evening, but I can tell today is going to ruin that.

0023f8dc-71ba-4eaa-8e3e-323f12713162.jpg

Here is a picture of an FJR rider this morning at the North entrance to the Colorado Nat. Monument outside of Fruita Colorado. Time was about 6:15 local...

The ride was Canadian and stopped real quick to say hi and thanked me. 15 Sec and he was gone!

He was one of 4 riders I saw this morning. The first 2 i did not get good pictures of. (dumb camera would not focus) the 3 one was very surprised to see me.

Dave
OUTSTANDING Dave! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.