FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look - the West-of-Memphis marker has vanished. I take that as good news - they arrived at checkpoint and realized it was off/dead/missing?

I've been working on projects all day and about 11:00 pm I sat down to check the IBR progress. I found two riders in Clarksville less than 30 mins south of me! I didn't expect anyone to get that close since the nearest spot is Ft Donnelson at Dover, TN, which didn't seem like it would bring anyone close.
It looked like at least one rider was at a hotel for the night, but the other was at a McDonalds. Probably a little silly, but I wanted to try to see one of the bikes. I made a couple quick notes of encouragement that I could put on their bikes just in case I found them.

I found the first pretty easily but the second rider probably turned his spot off at McD's so he wasn't tracked to the hotel.

I was wondering how I would know for sure that it was the IBR rider if I saw an LD bike, but the massive cockpit and gadgets on the Harley were a sure sign. The IBA plate didn't hurt either.
I'm guessing it's the Blue Beast of Drew Dill, see https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015/Day2.pdfPretty bike.
Day 7 Report is up:
https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015/Day7.pdf

Check the comments about the note left for Drew Dill !!!
Twigg beat me to the punch. Well done Goodman4!

From Chris's Day 7 Report:

Drew Dill: “There’s a huge street festival and they have all the roads blocked coming to the George

Rogers Clark and I had to walk about a half a mile to get that one. But, life is good. Loving the

2015 IBR. Thanks for all your support back there at IBA central.” His Big Blue Beast HD CVO is

going through oil every 1200 miles. He got beat up by bedbugs at a “no-tell motel.” He was

considering dropping out until he found a note of encouragement left on his seat. Head back in

the game, he’s moving forward. Such is Day 7 in the Iron Butt Rally.
Oh man! That made my week. I had signed it FJRForum Members so that was from all of us.

I can't believe it!!!!!

The rider that bagged the DC bonuses also bagged Front Royal. I can't believe but it looks like he beat the odds on I81 through Virginia and made it the CP in time.

On the other hand, it's got to suck being 156 on the far side of Atlanta On I-85 with just over an hour to DNF. These guys put in a lot of effort and sacrifice, and I hate to see anyone not reach the checkpoint. All part of the game.

Did everyone make it in, other than the rider in Georgia?

Yes, I just spoke to Lisa Landry and everyone made it in on time and safe. There are some minor issues being dealt with in the parking lot and Robert Bolger needs a front wheel for his C14, as well as some people that dropped out for various reasons, but everyone is accounted for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted a collection of screen captures of the second leg to YouTube for anyone interested in seeing the breadcrumbs move.

Feel free to share as desired.

Yes, I just spoke to Lisa Landry and everyone made it in on time and safe. There are some minor issues being dealt with in the parking lot and Robert Bolger needs a front wheel for his C14, as well as some people that dropped out for various reasons, but everyone is accounted for.
Report from Justin Phillipson on FB says that a front wheel has been found for Mr. Bolger.

If this ain't the grooviest thing:

11059535_10152995697648595_4659371998377995033_n.jpg

Cheers to Al and those great kids!!

OK, here is the story for two things I have read.

One--- the spot around Memphis that didn't move belonged to Chris McGaffin. He has a back up and is back on the tracking.

Two-- this is Chris's low milage bike he bought over here in Texas

I and Krei Wiegle built it for the rally.

Three---no FD issues at the check point, it was just a bad o'ring on the engine fill cap. I missed that when doing service before the rally. My bad.

This was not my low milage bike. lol.

So, the end of Leg 2 is here, all the riders accounted for, and presumably all riders done scoring and asleep in their beds awaiting a 5:30 a.m. wake-up the the last and final riders meeting and vital set of points assignment for the leg. This might be a little easier to type and closer to the mark after the report Chris Cimino released tomorrow, but I wanted to make some observations of the rally so far and what I guess will be going through some rider minds this final leg.

The big variables for this rally are:

The states traveled & parks visited. I think the folks apsiring for higher finishes will have finished this leg finding the right mix of having bagged a bit more of each than being 7/11 through a rally. If IBR points are true to historic norms the 2nd leg are twice the value of the fist leg and last leg about three times the value. Having some flexibility of going after less higher point bonuses perhaps in less states may be that extra bit that makes a difference in a place or two on the scoreboard.

Pacing yourself. It could be a rider rides a monster 2nd leg and launches to the front, but did they burn themself up and make it hard to pull of the final leg with the same gusto. I know I've rocked the 2nd leg in two rallies and slipped in the final leg. It's easy to do and the difference between being a podium finisher and in the rest of the Top 10.

Minimizing mistakes is important now too. Did you do all those call in bonuses correctly? Did you lose any points at the scoring table?

Fog starts soon. Unless you've ridden 11 days straight you don'tt get it, but somewhere about Day 8...things...get...foggy. Not that you're an idiot on a bike, but some things become heightened, some things you don't realize, and things outside of your routine of riding, fueling, sleeping, and repeating are now foreign to you. Some do better. I think the classic two are Jim Owen. Other than some stubble I think he looks fresh as a daisy at the end and may be an alien impersonating a human. On the other end is Eric Jewell that looks like a sack of smashed assholes when he's done, but he's the Energize Bunny 11 days straight on a bike. I think he's a human trying to impersonate an alien.

Final route choice is going to be key and I imagine the puzzle master has one last shoe he'll drop in the morning. Riders are going to have just a little over 4 days to get to the finish and that's actually the longest leg. Those that bid the right amount, do the right loop or zig zag to get them in ABQ with just enough gas in the tank, energy in the body, and time on the clock are going to be most rewarded. I think it will be the deciding leg.

And I think we'll have a clearer picture of the remainder of the rally in the next official dispatch.

Monday to Friday morning are going to be a treat!

~snip wisdom worth reading 3 times~
Monday to Friday morning are going to be a treat!
This is really shaping into an amazing event. A beautiful open canvas and plenty of paint .....and riders are each painting their own masterpiece. As you say, the next days are going to be something!!

Safe miles and big smiles to all riders in the final days.

--

While riders are resting and staff is tallying scores + stories ...and those of us in the bleachers are catching our breath.

The simple countdown page that was never intended to get such attention is getting a lot of hits and attention. Simple one stop for:

* Coutndown Timers

* Spotwalla Map

* Interactive Map of all bonuses

* GPX file of all bonuses available for download

** Various data sort from leg 1 results (AND SOON LEG2)

* and groovy Grateful Dead music.

* Steve J's Rubberband maps

* Oh, and of course analysis and predictions (so confident we call them early results) (who else had Voni Glaves in the top10 after leg 2?)

While we catch our breath, the music has been replaced with a timeless-classic animated biker flick. I think we'll do a new biker flick every day as we cheer these amazing riders on.

https://austinmedia.net/stuff/temp/15IBRcountdown.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.