FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I do ask any folks that might be watching here and tempted to go see a rider go by PLEASE exercise the utmost caution to not interfere with or risk their ride in ANY way. While I'm sure (or vainly hope) this was an aberration--trying to ride up along side somebody in traffic is probably not the best idea and probably safer to catch them stopped at a bonus or at a gas stop.

Our solution to this problem was to just go to the checkpoint and observe. My grandkids and I got to see ALL the riders, ALL their bikes up close (after they had scored and parked, of course) and actually speak to many riders and staff......a priceless experience for us. Even an 8 year old and a 10 year old can easily understand the importance of not interfering and maintaining a safe environment for everyone.

Thanks to all ralliers for allowing us a peak into this fascinating world.
It Was GREAT having you there!!!!!!! You guys ROCKED.. and never got in the way.. I was the fat ugly guy reading the odo's at the checkpoint. I guess fat would have sufficed as most of us are the second :) It was fun introducing the cager couple

So who here is planning on being at the Sheraton Inn in ABQ next Friday morning at 5AM? I am going to be there to welcome Josh. Myself and the others involved feel a kinship with our IBA brother, after rebuilding his forks during the first check point rest period. I haven't heard about any more problems with his front end which is good because his warranty period has past, too many damn miles.
smile.png
See you at the finish line Josh, Ride hard brother!
I'll be there, on this bike. I'll be welcoming in Phil Weston, and everyone else.

Point taken about the rolling intercepts. I'll be heading to ABQ from Wichita tomorrow, along the same path I assume other riders may be taking. If I see any of them, I'll pretend they are just like all the other vehicles on the road, and do my own thing. There will most likely be plenty of opportunities for handshakes and high-fives after the engines cool down.

Edit: And I just decided to get a spot tracker. I'll share the link here. Yes I know the risks. If you crash stalking me, your problem.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1243684" data-time="1436382373"><p>

She hasn't; it's <strong class='bbc'>RenoJohn</strong> who's singing. Tonight's biker movie looks interesting.</p></blockquote>

I know and that's why I didn't click on the link. Have you ever heard RJ singing? JSNS!!

Heavy cloud cover here in the central Midwest.

May have something to do with the Spot coverage.

Hmm, that might explain why a rider who just bagged Voyageurs in Minnesota, is now in Canada???

Maybe he is backtracking to get Grand Portage? Interesting ...
unknw.gif

I am pretty sure that the SPOT trackers have basically 1 meter accuracy at least within the United States. This is because they use The FAA GPS augmentation satellites.

In my experience when I send an OK message from spot from a parking lot it identifies my exact parking slot.

Saw a rider in Superior Wisconsin today around 2:30. Blue/purple bagger with a hi-viz jacket. Gave him a thumbs up and he waved back. He turned north to go to Grand Portage, and we turned south to Minneapolis. Mr. Barclay I assume?

Is Ontario a state now (171)?
No, but it's likely a quicker way back to other bonuses in the U.S. Watch to see if the other guy hugging the lake does the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.