FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Gen vs. Gen feud seems a bit ridiculous... To me they're all FJR1300s with the newer models receiving a few improvements.
I don't understand all the negative comments on Gen 3 FJR's. 11 of 18 FJR's in the rally are Gen 3. Leg standings have everything to do with the riders and nothing to do with the Generation of the bike. I have ridden a Gen 1 for 90,000 miles and a Gen 3 for 70,000 miles. The Gen 3 is a MUCH better machine. There is no way a Gen 3 would be a disadvantage in a rally.

I don't understand all the negative comments on Gen 3 FJR's.
Already been answered. In the thread just above yours.

RJ just reeled you and others in with stinky bait.

Sincerely,

Zebco

That is RJs one trick pony routine he pulls every other year, and has been since at least 2007, probably even earlier.
wink.png

Thing is, it still works, there are always fresh faces to troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering when New England was going to be in play. Yahooooo, I don't have to work until Thursday. I might have a chance to see some folks out and about.

As usual if anyone needs anything in the south shore area of MA give a holler. I have a full garage with machining and welding capabilities. Tire changer also.

Good luck,

Dave

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ignacio" data-cid="1371081" data-time="1499025871"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'><p><br />

I don't understand all the negative comments on Gen 3 FJR's.</p></blockquote>Already been answered. In the thread just above yours.<br />

<br />

RJ just reeled you and others in with stinky bait.<br />

<br />

Sincerely, <br />

<br />

Zebco</p></blockquote>

That is RJs one trick pony routine he pulls every other year, and has been since at least 2007, probably even earlier.
wink.png

Thing is, it still works, there are always fresh faces to troll.
Didn't work very well- From riding a Super Tenere I know that at least 90% of the bike hasn't changed in the whole model run, so I expect similar consistency in other Yamaha motorcycles.

I am absolutely impressed with that little Kawi, Dam that is just amazing. I don't know how he does it. 10'th

It would be also nice to see the top 10 most improved list on leg2. Point wise and mileage.

Dave
I did an SS1000 on my, but mine wouldn't have held up for 11 more! Also, I needed a sheepskin gel pad. After 200 miles I was literally screaming when I used the stock seat.

Assume that Gen 1 has a slightly higher top speed and slight more acceleration than Gen 2, and Gen 2 has a slightly higher top speed and slight more acceleration than Gen 3.

How could this tiny difference make a difference in an 11,000 mile rally conducted on public roads?

Seriously.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RenoJohn" data-cid="1371037" data-time="1499005972"><p>

Hey Tim Bowman (Timmer) ...are you putting together a matrix of rider placement leg1 vs leg2 sorted by gained/lost position. I'm traveling and it's tough to do while on the road. Sent from I-80 west bound, mile marker 111, 82MPH 12WPM<br />

RJ</p></blockquote>

I'm on the road camping, but will do it in the next couple days with some additional analysis now that we have two legs of data.

I'm rooting for the FJRs.

But I'm kind of rooting for the baby Ninja too!

Wifey and I drove I-10 from Houston to Lafayette, LA today, hoping to see a few IBR riders heading east. However, the Spot map clearly shows everyone heading more or less due East or due West. I don't think one rider went toward Houston this morning. Can't say as I blame them - this heat is on down here!!

I've taken much of the great info that Smunderdog shared and done some various sorts. Plan to do more. Not as spiffy as I would like but I'm traveling and have limited toolz and time ...and it's kinda hard at 81MPH

Put it below the biker movies on the RJ IBR page.

https://renojohn.com/bike/iba2017/

--

How are those gen3's doing? Looks like about as well as always. Certainly no match for the earlier gen's. Same ol' story. Top riders have just not taken to the Gen3, I guess Yamaha figured no one would care that if they added weight and made it slower year after year. Too bad, as that pink color was kinda cute. Eventually maybe they'll come out with a men's version, drop some weight and get back into the game.

Smunderdog, very interesting spreadsheet! Nice!

I'm another person very interested in the little Ninja. Some really good planning, routing and riding. Lots of points per mile, and you have to figure that his average speed is well below all the liter bikes. Not much weather protection. Great job.

I've taken much of the great info that Smunderdog shared and done some various sorts. Plan to do more. Not as spiffy as I would like but I'm traveling and have limited toolz and time ...and it's kinda hard at 81MPH

--

How are those gen3's doing? Looks like about as well as always. Certainly no match for the earlier gen's. Same ol' story. Top riders have just not taken to the Gen3, I guess Yamaha figured no one would care that if they added weight and made it slower year after year. Too bad, as that pink color was kinda cute. Eventually maybe they'll come out with a men's version, drop some weight and get back into the game.
Keep on Trucking, RJ.. keep on truckin'..

Curious to know if anyone else thinks Alaska is gonna come in to play for this final leg?

And if anyone reading this is in contact with any of the riders, tell 'em to watch their speed in Ohio. Being Ohio AND a holday, speed enforcement is out in full force. Unless, of course, a Performance Award is part of a string and worth 10X points, then, come to Ohio!

--

Once you aren't rolling at 10 over take a look at your column header just to the left of your highlighted column....something is off there.

Don't recall it being mentioned yet, but Wendy Crockett made a 12 position jump during Leg 2, but rode 3800 miles to do it. I had to double check the spreadsheet because the next closest riders "only" rode 3200 - 600 less miles than Wendy! She averaged 5.93 points per mile.

On the flip side of that coin, John Coons only rode 2350 and didn't gain any places (still 3rd), but closed the gap to less than 800 points from 1st after being just over 3000 points down after Leg 1. He averaged 9.05 points per mile! Well rested and poised to strike? :)

Paced with an IBR rider on a GL1800 this afternoon in central Arkansas for about 20 minutes this afternoon. Looked like he was on a mission.... Which I suppose he is! Was fun to see a competitor in the wild. Funny how easy it is to pick out an Iron Butt bike even before you can see the confirming details.

Status
Not open for further replies.