FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the finisher point target for CP2 is?
I believe 30K and the couple riders I talked to both said it was very easy to accomplish

Sorry, I misread your question. At the end of CP2, it was 25K, 10K + 15K (I am 95% sure) the target for leg 3 is easy according to the couple riders I've spoken with - one more.... competitive than the other. The 2nd leg, the less competitive one said was much harder to reach the announced.

target

As top riders wear out their bikes, newer bikes will show up in the top spots.
How does one "wear out" an FJR?
rolleyes.gif
Same way you wear out anything else with moving parts. Make the parts move until they break.

Eventually Gen 1s will be in the hopeless class like the Water Buffalo and that Chartreusewing.

Peece Rock and Nova Scotia have been done before as big routes and there's a cluster of four SPOT tracks (and maybe non sharing rider(s) blasting past Maine with obvious focus.
I wonder if something like St.John's or that other island by Perce is in play. If so, ferry schedules become very important to this leg.
If ferry's are in play there could be some sad riders in a few hours. Seems a few upcoming trips are full.

Happy Canada Day!

^ NEVER

my gen 1 has 262k and needed a gasket replaced, so I parted it out. My '08 was sitting for years waiting its turn.

If I didn't have an '08 waiting it's turn, the 05 would still be running big miles. Now I want a Gen 3, so 250k on this one and I will get my wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
A ferry leaves North Sydney Nova Scotia for Newfoundland at 23:45 if I'm reading the schedule correctly. There is a giant squid statue in Glovers Harbor?

Peece Rock and Nova Scotia have been done before as big routes and there's a cluster of four SPOT tracks (and maybe non sharing rider(s) blasting past Maine with obvious focus.
I wonder if something like St.John's or that other island by Perce is in play. If so, ferry schedules become very important to this leg.
If ferry's are in play there could be some sad riders in a few hours. Seems a few upcoming trips are full.

Happy Canada Day!
I wouldn't think they would take off on that plan unless they made a reservation the second they saw the rally book points for leg 3. Definitely an "all your eggs in one basket" plan of attack, and no ride for the meek.

Happy Canada Day!
Hmmm., I wonder who has reservations including berths?

A ferry leaves North Sydney Nova Scotia for Newfoundland at 23:45 if I'm reading the schedule correctly. There is a giant squid statue in Glovers Harbor?
You might be on to something...although NL is a really big island/province and could have more than one. ;)

You might be on to something...although NL is a really big island/province and could have more than one.
wink.png
This ferry game will be an interesting puzzle all by itself. Wondering what time zone that ferry you mention? Are some kinda on the cusp? At least DST is not in play.

And getting open spots (tickets) for the ferries will be yet another challenge.

Scalping tickets on the dock with cash money a part of the challenge if you can't get reserved spot cuz they're full?

.......And figuring this all out on day 8+ while in motion?

Cheering the riders who are taking on nautical challenges.

historical Pic of a LD rider on a ferry, circa 2015:

20150411105602-IMG_2468.jpg

RJ

Looks like they are headed to Cape Breton Island . A long way to go, I wonder where the Bonus is. ?

Looks like they are headed to Cape Breton Island . A long way to go, I wonder where the Bonus is. ?
Ferry to Newfoundland is at 11:45 pm at New Sydney and they ask you arrive at 9:45 (Atlantic). The front icon arrival time is right about 10 pm. I'm pretty sure one or more bonuses are on that province/island. ;)

Couple of riders possibly heading to Happy Camp on 96. One of them rode across 299 from Redding. Glad to see a couple of them finally enjoying the motorcycling in Northern California this rally.

At least Happy Camp is a pretty ride. Lots of tweakers though. Hope no one stops in Hoopa 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.