FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The top link in FazerPhil's three links is his actual, real-time SPOT.

He is currently just a pinch south of my location in the Tri-Cities, on I-84 passing thru Hermiston, OR.

So..... he's got ~ 26 hours and 1550+ miles to roll, all interstate roads, so he shouldn't struggle too much to be able to maintain a BBG pace. But that assumes he minimizes his stops for luxury items (like fuel and water), and he won't be able to tolerate being held up by construction, accidents, traffic, etc. for any length of time.

GO, FazerPhil!!
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC The speeding penalties started in '15. If your Spot was monitored doing +10 MPH for more than 10 minutes (A normal SPOT ping) it was considered excessive. Riders were warned and some received a 1000 pt. deduction.
Riders meetings also revealed what % of the time some riders were speeding. I think it is a nice and fair method.

I was chatting with a rider this AM who was woken by an earthquake! He was in MT, sorta north central. Not sure where the epicenter was. My friend said it was a 5.8 per local sources. Hope no riders were negatively impacted. Heck, I hope NO ONE was negatively impacted.

Why is he on the 84 and not the 90?
Because he apparently dicked up his turn..... the fast way back to Minneapolis is to pick up I-90 thru Spokane, and stay on it almost all the way there.

Instead, he is headed to southern Idaho.... who knows why.

Maybe he's a bit too smoked to realize I-90 was his route. Or maybe he is on the ragged edge of being a Finisher, and needs a mega-point bonus down there in southern Idaho to put him in Finisher points. I don't know.

It's dicey. He needs to stay focused and remain at a near BBG pace and should head directly to Minneapolis in order to make it back in one day. Therefore, the southern route he appears to be taking is a curious one. Still, my speculation is that Phil knows what he is up to.... he's normally a pretty sharp cat.

Then again.... it is the last full day of the IBR...
weirdsmiley.gif

The day 10 report mentions an animation page for leg 3. Anyone know where we can access it (and one for leg 2)?

The rider still sitting in Eureka, CA (which it looks like they are at a motorcycle shop (interesting side note it used to be a Harley shop until the Harley shop moved north of town)) needs to get a move on.
He's moved. The spot page is just lagging again. Either way, he still has a huge ride to go!
Remember that total people hitting a page increases the lag. Let it auto-update to relieve the strain. Forced updates make it worse.

I have been following along here for years, and just had a light bulb come on last night, so I have a question:

How much "What If" do these riders, especially the Big Dogs, go through during their pre time before the IBR?

Example - They know that they will be leaving Dallas after 4 AM on July 2, and they need to be in the barn in Minneapolis at 8AM on Friday. Do they go through scenarios of what if there is a huge bonus in Newfoundland, or Key West or Alaska? Can I get there and back in the allotted time? What preplanning would they do to facilitate that? We've seen multiple riders use different ferries to get them where they needed to go. Would they have already reviewed the options and the processes for making reservations? Would they even make reservations just in case, and then have the option to cancel?

The day 10 report mentions an animation page for leg 3. Anyone know where we can access it (and one for leg 2)?
<a href='https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=429&idt=1'>Leg 1 Animation</a><br />
<br />
<a href='https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=429&idt=2'>Leg 2 Animation</a><br />
<br />
<a href='https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?id=429&idt=3'>Leg 3 Animation</a>

Warchild,
Thanks for the links. Any chance of leg 2 and leg 3 being added to the IBR page?
(I realize that all of the links are the same except for the number at the end. It will make it easier for the tech-challenged among us. It would also make them available to folks that aren't on this forum.)

After reading the reports I am stoked! I am hoping for 2 top 5 finishes for FJR riders. Mike (Trippermike) was mentioned as doing well also. I am headed up to the finish now to greet the riders and see some friends.
And getting ready to start your Quatro.
winksmiley02.gif

I will be following that also. Good luck,

Dave

How much "What If" do these riders, especially the Big Dogs, go through during their pre time before the IBR?
Example - They know that they will be leaving Dallas after 4 AM on July 2, and they need to be in the barn in Minneapolis at 8AM on Friday. Do they go through scenarios of what if there is a huge bonus in Newfoundland, or Key West or Alaska? Can I get there and back in the allotted time? What preplanning would they do to facilitate that? We've seen multiple riders use different ferries to get them where they needed to go. Would they have already reviewed the options and the processes for making reservations? Would they even make reservations just in case, and then have the option to cancel?
Other rallies including things like the BMR to get out early each season. You kinda end of knowing what kind of miles you can do in a day given typical rally bonus load and adjust a bit. If you're doing a one day rally it's all about sitting in the seat as much as possible including bagging bonuses and super efficient fuel stops. An eleven day rally is a marathon and if you do bigger miles one day you gotta pay for it with a bit more rest the next day.

You're always aware of how long it will take and how many miles to get to a CP or a the finish line, but you're also aware and playing "what-if" scenarios to squeeze in just one more bonus or rearrange something to net a few more points.

And you are are using time to Google things to refine bonus or arrival details (i.e. ferry reservations, what fuel stop up ahead has a gas station on the right near the freeway with a Subway attached, is there something weird about parking where you're going, etc.) And since online intelligence gathering is more important do you have it setup so it's easy to get to, easy-to-read on the fly, and can you do anything to make it safer to use while underway?

I'm not saying IBR personalities aren't risk takers, but I think they're very careful about measuring risk vs. reward and will build checklists and repeatable processes whenever possible. To watch Owen do a bonus stop is like watching Teller do a magic trick. The casual smile while his hands move and short amount of time he takes to pull it off is mesmerizing. You know he takes off one glove just before he starts to declerate for a bonus or fuel stop and pre-pops the tank and unzips the tank bag. Repeated over the course of eleven days might yield one more bonus.

Other things like EZ-Pass, convenient and quick methods for cleaning face shield, rally food, packing things so you can carry everything you need for a motel visit in one trip, etc. Each save a minute or two and incrementally add up to bagging.....just.....one.....more......bonus than the other rider. That one bonus that's a difference between #1 and #2 at this level.

At this point, I start looking at the outliers - how far away are they. There's someone in MA that is cutting it close for a direct route back. But I keep looking at the one near Quebec City right now. The spot is set to time zone Indianapolis. I fully realize that does not mean the rider is FROM that specific area, but that's the same time zone as one of the spots that went to NL. I have no way to know if it's the same person, but it is interesting to speculate. I went back and looked at the list of riders that was published, there's only one rider from IN - again, I know the time zone is of somewhat limited value, but I'm using the only clues I have. Tom Spearman. Don't know him. Anyone else? Think he'd pull that move? Think he can make it from where he's at now? so interesting!

Spoke to a couple riders this AM. Apparently, there is quite the gathering of riders in Lemmon, SD this morning :)

Yup, looked like at least 3 riders in Lemmon and a few others in the Dakotas were sleeping in a bit. Maybe know they'll easily reach or miss their personal goals and taking it easy, or maybe just too tired to wake up early...

Warchild,Thanks for the links. Any chance of leg 2 and leg 3 being added to the IBR page?
They are.

Thanks! Funny, I didn't see them earlier. Sometimes I can't see the forest because there's too many trees in the way...

I've seen a couple of riders head up towards Wawa Ont. this could cause a bit of panic on the last IBR day. Wawa Goose

I'm pretty sure the salmon in Campbellton, NB was a bonus location for this rally.

It was also a bonus in 2007 (my first IBR) that DougC and I visited as a team...the rally before teaming became a thing. Beautiful day riding in French-speaking maritime provinces and one of my fondest memories...even if it took us a bit to find it. Those days we had to manually find bonuses and weren't provided dead on balls accurate GPS coordinates via thumb drives nor pictures of all bonuses in our packets....we had a few in grainy xeroxed black and white.

salmon.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.