FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think the Grasshopper. But I also think one of "my" peeps was elsewhere at the time, nearby, but another bonus. I'm gathering this from spot breadcrumbs, so could be wrong!

RJ...where is your countdown timer?
Hey Mr. Frick, vacationing in San Francisco with RG and RK. So not much time. ++BUT++ I have put together some biker flix for you https://renojohn.com/bike/iba2017/
I'm also putting together some analysis/stats on yet another competitive event where the gen3 is getting smoked by the riders who choose the svelt and faster gen1 and gen2 FJRs

Enjoy the flix, cheers from North Beach

RJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of the five riders that did the NFLD ride, I believe that only one went to Eastern Passage

(Dartmouth)

The other four went directly to New Brunswick. They all encountered a detour in Nova Scotia that

slowed them down slightly. One much more than the others.

There was at least one other rider that did the Eastern Shore bonus outside of this group.

Canadian FJR
The animation page for Leg 3 shows a fifth blip for a brief second a few times...Really be interesting to hear what points this was worth.

Donald

Looks like there is a rider poised to cross Lake Michigan on the Fast Ferry to Milwaukee, could be another headed that way. Lots of boat rides on this IBR.

Looks like there is a rider poised to cross Lake Michigan on the Fast Ferry to Milwaukee, could be another headed that way. Lots of boat rides on this IBR.
I've been watching that 2nd rider since they crossed the border....wondering if they were headed for the ferry. If they are...its going to be tight!! Ferry leaves at 4:45 and they say boarding ends 15 min prior to departure. I know that there is a SPOT delay but the tracker shows 49 min out and 30 min until boarding ends.

I've been watching that 2nd rider since they crossed the border....wondering if they were headed for the ferry. If they are...its going to be tight!! Ferry leaves at 4:45 and they say boarding ends 15 min prior to departure. I know that there is a SPOT delay but the tracker shows 49 min out and 30 min until boarding ends.
We're thinking the same thing - I just checked and it gave him / her 36 minutes to get there but only 30 minutes until boarding ends. It's gonna be tight for sure!

ETA - nevermind. He / she turned and headed north, so no worries aboot the ferry.

Yes! I think somebody just took a little ferry from Vermont to New York as well.
Saw that! I happened to check when they were in the middle of Lake Champlain. Cool!

Yes! I think somebody just took a little ferry from Vermont to New York as well.
25 minutes for the Essex ferry. Much faster than riding around the lake
biggrin.png

That rider is still 19 hours out according to gmaps. 15 hours till checkpoint opens if I'm doing my maths right.

Look at that parade of riders on I-94 near Bismark now! I count more than twenty...

There another group almost as large again near Lemmons. I guess great minds think quite a bit alike in this game?

The viable routes home from the West seem to be a little more clear than from the East!

That rider in Upstate NY is hopefully enjoying his route about now. Some pretty country there with good weather.

Question for Ignatio. So in general what did riders think of the group ride from Sandpoint to the finish line in 2009? It was kind of exciting for the spectators that were at the finish line to see a pack roll in.

I ain't Iggy, but I was there as well. It was AWESOME! After being mostly alone for days, the timed bonus in Sandpoint (which was Michael Boge's restaurant, BTW, the guy piloting his family in the sidecar) was terrific. Seeing so many other people who had been through what I had and then riding with them all back - it was really great. And then all the spectators, including the few that came for me, were there cheering. It was really really awesome.

I think Iggy might have been one of the people held up in Davo's accident for some reason - he might not have been with the big pack that came in? not 100% on that.

Looking like a couple of outliers may need to move at FJR nominal speeds to make it back in time.

Question for Ignatio. So in general what did riders think of the group ride from Sandpoint to the finish line in 2009? It was kind of exciting for the spectators that were at the finish line to see a pack roll in.
That was extremely bittersweet. I was one of the 5-10 that was on the north side of Bonners Ferry waiting for the accident to clear. The combination of visible breath in 39 degree air, sitting idle not able to do a thing, flash of emergency responder lights in the pre-dawn reflecting off everything, and look on Jeff Earl's face as he came back from the scene will haunt me forever. I rode with Davo days earlier south of Tucson and last saw him in Phoenix.

But, the look on Brian Roberts face as the gush of riders rolled into the Zips and he realized even he was about to be late was priceless. Wandering out the front door with styrofoam cup of coffe in my teeth as I stuffed my receipt away, donned gloves, and boogied to 95 was joyous. And as we rode assertively through the bergs of Athol, Hayden, turned onto I-90 at C'Da for the last blast. Turning onto Division..that I'd done so many times in my life....and the excruciating eternity to wait for the left turn signal onto the hotel drive was exhilarating & frustrating.

Then seeing them moving the table to the car port as I pulled up with 1 minute to spare was just epic.

And then going out to my bike the next morning to a flat rear tire I smiled, aired up, put in the back of dad's truck, and then stayed for another two days enjoying myself.

Loved Spokane!

....and these folks with 14 hour to go....will absolutely love the front door of the hotel. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.