FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IBR mgmt -I dont mean to insult anyone, but since this is only the second occurrence since GPSs have been widely available, is it worth a warning to the rally participants to check their older devices?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/8/18255847/gps-week-rollover-issue-2019-garmin-tomtom-devices-affected

-Steve
WTF? I ran in 2003 and GPSs were well in use long before that. I was on my 3rd generation by the time I made the IBR.

all Id be thinking is - just dont drop it - just dont drop it

Well... mostly true. That and "what the hell did I forget?"

And I did watch a rider drop his bike in 2005. I watched Dale poke his head forward in disbelief, lower his head, and shake it disapprovingly.
Every rally there seems to be that special "someone". Most only hope it's not them. At mine it was someone whose bike wouldn't start because they've been dicking with their electronics and drained their battery. When those happen, they get queued to the end and go last. No delays wanted for the main pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off they go. And sorry it's larger than I wanted
IBR%202019.jpg

Every rally there seems to be that special "someone". Most only hope it's not them. At mine it was someone whose bike wouldn't start because they've been dicking with their electronics and drained their battery. When those happen, they get queued to the end and go last. No delays wanted for the main pack.
It's a much kinder and gentler alternative than when Warchild would remind these folks he once worked on an aircraft carrier--that bikes that don't start or screw up would be thrown over the side into the ocean.

Looking over the list of bikes, I don't see very many Hopeless entrants. 1974 GT750 Suzuki, but I think he's done it before. There is an '83 Silverwing. Is that the guy that ran last time on an incredibly restored bike? And there is a '94 R11RS. I guess I'll cheer for him. I've always wanted one of those. No dual sports, scooters or small displacement. No hacks or three wheelers.
Correct, the Silverwing is being ridden by Dylan Spink from NH, who rode the 1977 GL1000 Goldwing as a rookie in 2017. He is a fabricator as a part time side job, and a damn good one. I'd hardly call any of his older bikes hopeless as his bikes are usually the best prepped ones at the start of whatever rally he's in. I tease him that he never rides a bike long enough to truly love them before he sells them!

He was a long time ST1300 owner. He was having problems with that bike so he sold it and bought the Goldwing to ride in the 17 IBR. Sold that one after the IBR and bought a new 18 wing, which he rode in last years Buttlite 9. Sold that and bought the Silverwing. The camshaft broke on his Silverwing last week! and he had less than 10 days to fix it before leaving for the IBR. He bought a stock Africa Twin as a backup but luckily didn't have to use it.

One hour into the rally and Jeff has the field going four or five different directions!

Two major I-85 ways to get away from the starting line in a rapid manner...possibly to big bonuses or clusters, one away from the direction of the checkpoint for the naturally contrarian to express individuality, and a big general clump meandering twisty two-laners to the nearby mountains to the west and northwest. That's a sign that tells me Jeff's made a really good puzzle.

One hour into the rally and Jeff has the field going four or five different directions!
Two major I-85 ways to get away from the starting line in a rapid manner...probably to bigger bonuses or clusters, one away from the direction of the checkpoint for the naturally contrarian to express individuality, and a big general clump meandering twisty two-laners to the nearby mountains to the west and northwest. That's a sign that tells me Jeff's made a really good puzzle.
Doesn't look like a group photo will be happening.

Looking over the list of bikes, I don't see very many Hopeless entrants. 1974 GT750 Suzuki, but I think he's done it before. There is an '83 Silverwing. Is that the guy that ran last time on an incredibly restored bike? And there is a '94 R11RS. I guess I'll cheer for him. I've alway wanted one of those. No dual sports, scooters or small displacement. No hacks or three wheelers.
Let's call them non-standard rather than hopeless, because there is nothing hopeless about Kurt Worden - who the official list undersells. The list notes he is on a Kwaker Versys. What it doesn't mention is that he is on a Versys 300! Arguably this is a more capable bike then the Ninja 250 he has ridden in the past. He had a gold medal finish with the Ninjette in 2017 for 21st place. He had a heartbreaking DNF in 2013 and a bronze medal for 37th place in 2015.

Here's your source of all IBR stats:

https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm

The public Spotwalla link from the IBR webpage only comes up blank when I click it. No group of riders as like the screen shot above. Am I missing something for/in settings or something else to see it?

The last sentence of the poem rings in my head.

" I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. "

In my mind this will play out in the end.

Dave

The public Spotwalla link from the IBR webpage only comes up blank when I click it. No group of riders as like the screen shot above. Am I missing something for/in settings or something else to see it?
I've heard one similar report from a colleague. They used a different browser (Chrome instead of IE) and were able to get in. Could also be a firewall issue (some companies may block).

Dunno what to tell you - for me, it came right up and is working normally.

Let's call them non-standard rather than hopeless, because there is nothing hopeless about Kurt Worden - who the official list undersells. The list notes he is on a Kwaker Versys. What it doesn't mention is that he is on a Versys 300! Arguably this is a more capable bike then the Ninja 250 he has ridden in the past. He had a gold medal finish with the Ninjette in 2017 for 21st place. He had a heartbreaking DNF in 2013 and a bronze medal for 37th place in 2015.
Here's your source of all IBR stats:

https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm
I saw his name and Versys. I was hoping he was on the lil one. I had fun watching him on the Baby Ninja last time, tearing through West Texas headed to Colorado.

Damn! They've already come and gone through ATL!

No Bonus Listing yet, so I wasn't able to effectively stalk them. Have done so in the past -- just watching and clapping -- and it's the BOMB. Always thought that an appreciative observer makes a positive difference in the rider's psyche.

I ran the numbers on the bikes in the rally, taken from the table on the Day 1 report:

(In order of most prevalent to least)

Honda Goldwing: 18

BMW GS(A) - 16

Yamaha FJR1300 - 13

Honda ST1100/ST1300 - 7

BMW GT(L) - 5

Harley Davidson Road Glide - 5

BMW RT - 5

Yamaha Super Tenere' - 4

Harley Davidson Ultra Limited - 4

Triumph Trophy - 4

Honda Africa Twin - 2

Kawasaki Concours - 2

BMW RSL - 1

Victory Vision - 1

Harley Davidson Softtail - 1

BMW K1600B - 1

Kawasaki Versys (300) - 1

Harley Davidson Sportster - 1

Honda Silverwing - 1

Victory CC Tour - 1

Suzuki GT750 (Buffalo) - 1

KTM Adventure 1190 - 1

One of my pals Chris Kazdorf is a Rookie this year . He is riding the burgundy /red ST1300 with the Canadian flag on one of the saddlebags. The other saddlebag has a "I Heart Your Mom" sticker.

Kaz had one of the cleanest less farkled rally bikes in the parking lot. 2 Androids for navigation, an elegant built by him fuel cell and some ergonomic adjustments.

His other bike is a ZX-12 with a Nitrous Kit
punk.gif

Point of Interest: that KTM Adventure 1190 ridden by Merril Campbell of Utah is the very first KTM to enter an Iron Butt Rally.
punk.gif

We shall see if it's also the first ever KTM to *finish* an Iron Butt Rally.

I ran the numbers on the bikes in the rally, taken from the table on the Day 1 report:
(In order of most prevalent to least)

Honda Goldwing: 18

BMW GS(A) - 16

Yamaha FJR1300 - 13

Honda ST1100/ST1300 - 7

BMW GT(L) - 5

Harley Davidson Road Glide - 5

BMW RT - 5

Yamaha Super Tenere' - 4

Harley Davidson Ultra Limited - 4

Triumph Trophy - 4

Honda Africa Twin - 2

Kawasaki Concours - 2

BMW RSL - 1

Victory Vision - 1

Harley Davidson Softtail - 1

BMW K1600B - 1

Kawasaki Versys (300) - 1

Harley Davidson Sportster - 1

Honda Silverwing - 1

Victory CC Tour - 1

Suzuki GT750 (Buffalo) - 1

KTM Adventure 1190 - 1
.Thanks for doing this.

Wasn't surprised at the high number of FJR and GS entries, but historically I thought there were more RT. I know Goldwing has a healthy showing historically, but #1? Wonder if the old RT guys bought the new GW?

Status
Not open for further replies.