FJRForum Official 2023 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really curious at to the point value of the Yellowknife bonus.
I am too. One possibility is that the point value may not be as high as one might think. But if it is part of the bingo card and allows someone to black out their card thus potentially increasing the multiplier that it does to your score in some way????

I suspect the bingo card explains a lot of rider's choices- On leg 2 a lot of riders chose to grab the giant ear of corn bonus in Olivia, MN that was only 768 points, must have been on a doable line that yielded a juicy bonus for completion. On leg 3 the giant Loo T Fisk fish in Madison, MN isn't getting near as much love, even though looking at the routes riders are taking it must be near some other Boni in southwest North Dakota and eastern South Dakota.

I am too. One possibility is that the point value may not be as high as one might think. But if it is part of the bingo card and allows someone to black out their card thus potentially increasing the multiplier that it does to your score in some way????
Just revealed . . . Ben Ernst is the first rider ever to make it into the Northwest Territories; all the way to Yellowknife. Steve Eversfield also made it there, both earning 20,818 points! Will it be a winning plan going there? Time will tell.

Awesome,
Shuey

Mackinac Island must be a worthy bonus. I've noticed a number of people going for that one. One rider who started at the Suite this morning is hitting it now. The Ferries this time of year are pretty often with a maximum 20-30m wait.
I'm not nervous for this rider as they are only 8+h from 'home' (and have 19h to get there), but at some point, they will need to start considering how many bonus' to seek and when to call it a rally and head for the barn...

Hmm, did you see their spot out on the Island? Right now there are 2 in the parking lot. Seems unlikely they would take their spot off the bike.

Just revealed . . . Ben Ernst is the first rider ever to make it into the Northwest Territories; all the way to Yellowknife. Steve Eversfield also made it there, both earning 20,818 points! Will it be a winning plan going there? Time will tell.

Awesome,
Shuey

My guess is, while that is a big amount of points, there's some other factor that will increase that greatly if he went all that way for one bonus! ;)

Hmm, did you see their spot out on the Island? Right now there are 2 in the parking lot. Seems unlikely they would take their spot off the bike.
I picked up from somewhere that the actual bonus was on the Island. I think it had to do with some monument there. Remember that we are talking about food and Mac Is. is packed with opportunities. And given that they have to get the bonus when the ferry is running, (last one back to mainland is like 6pm if I remember correctly), that makes it a little challenging. So one of the guys I was watching had gone to the Northern Territory was in the Suite last night - I'm assuming for a rest. I think that would be Steve Eversfield as this was the second rider to get and leave from NT. But to your question, the spot was in the ferry parking lot on the St Ignace side. So you are right, they left the spot on the bike and had to get the ferry, walk to the spot, get the ferry back. Looks like there might be 2 bikes there presently.

I suspect the bingo card explains a lot of rider's choices- On leg 2 a lot of riders chose to grab the giant ear of corn bonus in Olivia, MN that was only 768 points, must have been on a doable line that yielded a juicy bonus for completion. On leg 3 the giant Loo T Fisk fish in Madison, MN isn't getting near as much love, even though looking at the routes riders are taking it must be near some other Boni in southwest North Dakota and eastern South Dakota.
There is always more going on than we know but so far, the scored bingo locations have been I1- Sonic, O5- Taco John's, etc.

The corn you cite is MNOL as listed in the 2nd leg bonus listing.

That doesn't mean it can't factor in as some sort of multiplier. This is what drives me bananas.

We have no idea what is going on until it is over. That makes it very difficult to play along in real time.

BMW 2014 GSA final drive failure today,. How disappointing for the rider.
Question - Has any FJR had final drive issue during an IBR?

If I’m looking correctly, there may be no penalty points given for late finish. The New York and Tennessee riders will be DNF and everyone else should make it by 8:00 barring any surprises.

I missed the rider in Maryland, I guess. They are going to be close to the final time. And the rider in Middlesex hasn’t moved since early this morning so something is up there.

New York and Kentucky look like they are at hotels. Maybe they turned their trackers off? The Harrisburg, PA, rider has about 180 miles to go. Looks like that rider will be time barred as well....unless the feed we see is innacurate.

While I too lament the lack of enthusiasm about this event, it doesn't surprise me.

When most people, riders and civilians, hear the word "rally", they think of Sturgis or other gatherings that use that name. A rally to them is a destination, not an competition.

If you explain to them what a true rallying is, and in this case the extremism of it, it sounds crazy and dangerous.

Unfortunately, most riders have no interest in riding long distances, which they would consider over 200 miles.

The young guys want to go fast and do wheelies. The older crowd prefers to dress up in black leather and ride to the bar.

Those of us that want to explore far from home on a motorcycle seem to be a dwindling group of enthusiasts.
So true. Your post reminds me of a conversation I had with two fellows at work many years ago. They knew I rode since I did a couple of times a week (ST1100 and later ST1300). They were telling me about their great adventure with other HD riders the previous weekend. One of them told me they met outside of town to get their leathers on and then headed out from Dallas to Austin, a < 200 mile ride that took them, not kidding here, 8 hours. Apparently some models of Harleys have tanks about the size of a scooter and they had to stop multiple times for gas. But the quote I will always remember was when one guy told me after their contingent of 8 finally got on the road, a look of pride in his eye, "We were looking good and sounding good!"

Yep, the two most important aspects of (short) distance motorcycle riding, looking and sounding good!

Keep in mind, this same guy had told me previously that he spent $6000 on a shop and 3 months to have some work done on his Street Glide. I asked if he had needed a new engine. "Nope", he said, "I was having the engine chromed."

Keith Quigley
2019 FJR1300A

BMW 2014 GSA final drive failure today,. How disappointing for the rider.
Question - Has any FJR had final drive issue during an IBR?
My brother had an LT, then a GS. On one trip out west, the final drive went. And we were really stuck. It wouldn't go - and you couldn't tow it - yes we have a 15' 3/8 nylon rope just for towing bike to bike (That's another story). Luckily for him, he had a buddy only a few hours away that could pick him up and trailer the bike. But after that, he always brought a spare packed in his saddle bags. He's since pedaled those and has a Yamaha Tenere which he loves (no spare final drives).