Foam located on inside of Fairing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjammer

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can purchase the oem foam cutouts that go on the inside of the fairings. I checked RonAyers and BikeBandit but under Cowling 2 did not see the foam pieces. I'm specifically looking for the piece located on the left side where you change the oil filter.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know where you get the OEM stuff, but my left side "damper" disintegrated some time ago. I found some similar grey foam used as packaging from something that was shipped to me and cut it to fit. Glued it in place using some 3M Super77 and it's worked fine since. :D

I used HVAC closed cell pipe foam. I used plyo bond contact glue to keep it in place. I did both fairings. And I used foam backed metallic HVAC tape w/ muffler repair metallic tape on bottom of tank. I also lined/smushed under the tank lip pipe foam carved in half, say 12inches x "C" shape. All in All.Worked Beth well.

Just saw your topic. I bought my HVAC foam and Hvac reflective tape at Ace. Home Depot also

Sells. The reflective muffler tape was from autozone.

Just saw your topic. I bought my HVAC foam and Hvac reflective tape at Ace. Home Depot also

Are you guys trying to yank some Noob leg? :blinksmiley: Okay, I'll bite, what is the foam for? I don't see any in my 07.

Are you guys trying to yank some Noob leg? :blinksmiley: Okay, I'll bite, what is the foam for? I don't see any in my 07.
No shit, there is foam on the inside of the lower fairings. You woudl see it if you have taken your lower fairings off you would see it there are several pieces.

As others have said, you probably have to make you own replacements and stick it in place with 3M 77 spray adheiseve. You can by the 3M product at Home Depot or Lowes.

EDIT: to answer your question - purely a guess on my part - I think it serves two purposes. First to put something soft between the metal surfaces and the inside of the fairing to protect both as the fairing moves aroudn in the wind since it is flexiable. Second, I think it is used to help control air flow within the fairing and thus control where the heat from the headers and engine is direct through the bike so it doesn't roast your nuts as bad as a gen 1 does. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where you can purchase the oem foam cutouts that go on the inside of the fairings. I checked RonAyers and BikeBandit but under Cowling 2 did not see the foam pieces. I'm specifically looking for the piece located on the left side where you change the oil filter.

Thanks for your help.

When you do get the new foam in place, I typically tape a piece of paper under the oil filter area so it lets any oil drip on that and not on the foam.

Thanks for your help.

When you do get the new foam in place, I typically tape a piece of paper under the oil filter area so it lets any oil drip on that and not on the foam.
Oh, that foam. I've seen that one.

I was going to mention that the foam is there to catch any oil you spill. Or at least it seems to excel at that particular task.

The only piece of foam that was under my fairings was the one by the oil filter. I'd been complaining about heat at my right foot since I got my bike ('09 in '10)and someone here mentioned that the foam may be missing and that's why the heat on my right foot. So I bought some close cell foam (2" x 2" x 6") wrapped it in heat shield foil and glued and taped (aluminum tape) it to the lower right side. Ta da... no more heat on my right foot from the catalytic converter!!! So then, I took the left side off and redid it, that piece absorbed oil from changes, now any oil will just run off it and less heat on the left now too. Now, if anyone take their fairings off and has more than just the 2 lower pieces of foam, could you take a pic and post it here? If there is more to be added to help with heat I'd like to add it to mine.

Thanks,

Ed

The only piece of foam that was under my fairings was the one by the oil filter. I'd been complaining about heat at my right foot since I got my bike ('09 in '10)and someone here mentioned that the foam may be missing and that's why the heat on my right foot. So I bought some close cell foam (2" x 2" x 6") wrapped it in heat shield foil and glued and taped (aluminum tape) it to the lower right side. Ta da... no more heat on my right foot from the catalytic converter!!! So then, I took the left side off and redid it, that piece absorbed oil from changes, now any oil will just run off it and less heat on the left now too. Now, if anyone take their fairings off and has more than just the 2 lower pieces of foam, could you take a pic and post it here? If there is more to be added to help with heat I'd like to add it to mine.

Thanks,

Ed

To assist what you should have , here is some pictures of what is on the inside of a new fairing for '06 (hopefully the angles give you an idea of the thickness)

Right side:

007.jpg

008.jpg

Left side:

011.jpg

010.jpg

I wonder how many new bikes at dealerships have had the foam ripped out and thrown away by set-up monkeys who had NO idea the foam is supposed to be there?

Holy crap, I didn't have any of this under my fairing, is this for real? No wonder I've been feeling more heat than most folks, probably dampens noise too. Probably costs a fortune to buy it all too!!!

Holy crap, I didn't have any of this under my fairing, is this for real? No wonder I've been feeling more heat than most folks, probably dampens noise too. Probably costs a fortune to buy it all too!!!
Just go to a place and buy it bulk. Get some 3M 77 and cut it to size and glue it on yourself. Shouldn't cost a whole lot. I think the glue is $10 a can. Or better yet go by an electronics store and see if they have some foam pieces from unpacking stuff that they want to give away.

My 10 has NOTHING like that in any of the panels. It has a foam block by the oil filter and on the other side, but no way it looks like that.

Ok, I lied, the thinner pieces are there the thicker black pieces are whats missing. The thicker black pieces are what keeps heat from the driver I bet. Mine must have been built on a Friday afternoon and skipped during assembly. Now that the pics are here I know what to do, Thanks for those pics I bet there are a few of us out there that could use this.

Latest posts