Footpeg Relocation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve G.

Reaction score
I see there are kits available to move the feet forward. I've got off road, dual sport, and sportbike in my past, and I'd like my feet back from stock, just so my heals are directly below my hip joint. I know the Moto Guzzi V11 Sport guys have figured out that footrests from a Buel Ulysses are a perfect fix for doing the same thing, and at 25$cdn each, about 400$ less than MG's optional rearset kit.

Just wondering if there's anyone beside me who find the factory pegs just a 'tad' too forward, and if they've found a fix?

Steve

Well, ya could go the hillbilly route..

hacksaw.jpg

post-jbweld.jpg

:jester:

I seem to remember the late-great Tim (TWN) putting on a set of adjustable pegs on his bike. They had detents that enabled the pegs to be positioned like the hands of a clock and basically pivoted around the center about an inch or two in all directions. Maybe someone can chime in on the specifics but a search for "peg lowering" may turn something up?

Although it doesn't work in town, when I'm out and mostly in the higher gears I just put my feet on the pass. pegs, it does tend to put a lot of weight on your wrists though.

I too like my feet a little more under me then the stock pegs allow. Most of the time I put the balls of my feet on the pegs and rest my heels on the passenger pegs. This works great for me,it straightens my back and puts me in a position to more easily shift my body when needed. The down side to that is that I seem to have old knee's so I do have to straighten my legs once in a while. As far as moving the stock pegs back? Where would you put your feet when carrying a passenger? My feet are some what crowded as it is when my wife is on the back.

I just ordered two sets of Buell Lightening pegs. About $25 for the set. One for the 08 busa and one for the 05 FJR. I have not heard of anyone doing the Buell peg mod on the FJR, so might do a write-up if it goes well. A lot of sport bike riders do the mod, so a quick search will turn up quite a bit of info.

The Buell pegs are offset, so they end up lower and rearward by about 1.25" each way. Supposed to be quite a strain relief from the stock peg mount on the busa, and due to the way it is angled, also with shorter pin scrapers, about the same ground clearance as stock.

You have to do some light grinding on the Hayabusa to get them to fit. I measured the peg mount width to see if it would possibly work on the FJR, and it is 20mm span across the mounting tangs, whereas the Hayabusa is 22.5mm, so would have to grind a bit more. I did a test to see if I could extend the turnbuckle and lower the shift lever on the FJR. It looks like I can drop it about an inch+ and still be able to shift. The rear brake lowering should be no problem. Granted you might lose a bit of lean angle clearance, but don't think it would be too significant.

If anyone else would like to beat me to the punch, the HD part number is N0006.1AD for the pair. There is another set that some of the VFR guys are using which are Buell Ulysses pegs. They are about $45 for the set. They are wider across the bar, look a bit cooler and supposedly require less grinding, but protrude out farther, which I don't like. Those are HD: N0502.4AK and N0503.4AK in billet, also in black anno. for $65.

I am going to be working on the busa first, as I am 6'2" 250lb., I gots to have some relief. So if anyone gives them a try, let me know, otherwise I will see how she goes and report out.

I just ordered two sets of Buell Lightening pegs. About $25 for the set. One for the 08 busa and one for the 05 FJR. I have not heard of anyone doing the Buell peg mod on the FJR, so might do a write-up if it goes well. A lot of sport bike riders do the mod, so a quick search will turn up quite a bit of info.
The Buell pegs are offset, so they end up lower and rearward by about 1.25" each way. Supposed to be quite a strain relief from the stock peg mount on the busa, and due to the way it is angled, also with shorter pin scrapers, about the same ground clearance as stock.

You have to do some light grinding on the Hayabusa to get them to fit. I measured the peg mount width to see if it would possibly work on the FJR, and it is 20mm span across the mounting tangs, whereas the Hayabusa is 22.5mm, so would have to grind a bit more. I did a test to see if I could extend the turnbuckle and lower the shift lever on the FJR. It looks like I can drop it about an inch+ and still be able to shift. The rear brake lowering should be no problem. Granted you might lose a bit of lean angle clearance, but don't think it would be too significant.

If anyone else would like to beat me to the punch, the HD part number is N0006.1AD for the pair. There is another set that some of the VFR guys are using which are Buell Ulysses pegs. They are about $45 for the set. They are wider across the bar, look a bit cooler and supposedly require less grinding, but protrude out farther, which I don't like. Those are HD: N0502.4AK and N0503.4AK in billet, also in black anno. for $65.

I am going to be working on the busa first, as I am 6'2" 250lb., I gots to have some relief. So if anyone gives them a try, let me know, otherwise I will see how she goes and report out.
i was at the HD dealer yesterday with my tape measure, looks like so material will have to be taken out on the lightning pegs, perhaps too much, and the pivot shaft holes will have to be opened up a bit. Didn't have a good look at the Ulysses pegs, but may go back.

Did 200 miles Monday, the bike's great but is made for little guys, I'll have to do something to lessen the leg fold.

I look forward to your installation feedback Mr. Underhill!

Steve

Wow...this is actually big news for me. For years now I've said my only real bitch with the FJR is that for comfort sake, I wish my feet were farther back. Saw the Vario pegs awhile back, but didn't care for them. This could be the answer to a wish I've had for a looooong time. Since you made me look ;) I found THIS THREAD on a VFR forum that has pretty good pics of both the Lightning pegs and the Ulysses pegs installed (you have to scroll down a bit to get to the pics). My vote goes to the Lightning pegs, even if they do require a bit more modification to work. Sounds simple enough. I am a bit confused though on whether the N0006.1AD p/n is for one, or a pair, as I've read conflicting answers on this. But this DEFINATELY merits further investigation for me. Ahhhhhh...an FJR with rearset pegs...sounds like a little slice of heaven. I just might have to swing by F & S HD/Buell while I'm out today. Man am I glad I stumbled onto this thread!

Wow...this is actually big news for me. For years now I've said my only real bitch with the FJR is that for comfort sake, I wish my feet were farther back. Saw the Vario pegs awhile back, but didn't care for them. This could be the answer to a wish I've had for a looooong time. Since you made me look ;) I found THIS THREAD on a VFR forum that has pretty good pics of both the Lightning pegs and the Ulysses pegs installed (you have to scroll down a bit to get to the pics). My vote goes to the Lightning pegs, even if they do require a bit more modification to work. Sounds simple enough. I am a bit confused though on whether the N0006.1AD p/n is for one, or a pair, as I've read conflicting answers on this. But this DEFINATELY merits further investigation for me. Ahhhhhh...an FJR with rearset pegs...sounds like a little slice of heaven. I just might have to swing by F & S HD/Buell while I'm out today. Man am I glad I stumbled onto this thread!
Just a note on the Ulysess footpegs. The '09's with the poweder coated black ones, are at least double the cost of the silver '08 and previous ones. My buddy works for a big HD dealer here in Vancouver.

Steve

Well, I stopped in today at F&S HD/Buell and had a look. Good looking pegs. They're on the XB9 & XB12. F&S didn't stock them. The parts counter dork said they are $26 each...not for the pair as some believed. Figured I'd do a little online shopping before ordering through F&S. If someone finds a really good price online, sing out please. I looked at the Ulysses pegs also, but they look silly to me. I'd rather go with the XB pegs meself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The parts counter dork said they are $26 each...not for the pair as some believed. Figured I'd do a little online shopping before ordering through F&S.

And now that I said that, I just looked them up online and yes...he was a dork. They're $25 for the pair as stated by someone else earlier in this thread. I'll probably order some soon, but not from them.

Maybe I was the dork for believing a parts counter guy who said he didn't know how to work the intercom. :dribble: