Fork Brace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiojoe

Reaction score
Yesterday I had Race Tech, (Corona, Ca.) install a new rear shock and rebuild my front forks,Recieved the group buy 20% discount,. They were very friendly and helpful. I rode back to Indio the long way on hwy 74. The bike handle very well though the tristies.the main reason I did this was for 2 up riding. I also have 36000 k on the bike.Here my question, The tech at Race Tech said the fork Brace I had installed, (won in a raffle at the 2007 Park City Fjr meet from Bike-Effects, (Thank you again) could cause harm to the forks having it on. I had him remove it based on what he said. It doesn't make sense to me! Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I copied the Brace information below.

Item ID: 1129
Manufacturer: Superbrace
Superbrace Yamaha FJR1300 ABS 03-07
Details

This patented brace provides better stability, superior aerodynamics and a more streamlined look than other multi-piece braces on the market. Specialy designed for installation on ABS equiped FJR1300's, but can be used on non-ABS models as well.

•Reduces low and high speed wobbles.
•Improves stability in tight cornering.
•Improves tire life and reduces cupping. •Decreases sensitivity to rough road surfaces and rain grooves.

Made of 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum and machined to a tolerance of + or - .002 of an inch, with a polished finish. Ten minute easy installation.

(won in a raffle at the 2007 Park City Fjr meet from Bike-Effects, (Thank you again) could cause harm to the forks having it on. I had him remove it based on what he said. It doesn't make sense to me! Does anyone have any thoughts on this
You don't remember what the SuperBrace people said while they were at Park City? It was a popular conversation there. ABS bikes in those years have a coupler in the front that *could* strike the FJR if you dive on the brakes or hit a pothole so that forks reach full extension.

I had it happen on my 2005 ABS bike after racing Dick Fish on the Playa in Gerlach as I bottomed out on a bump that just about blew the forks. We're talking a SERIOUS hit! It jarred loose stuff on my dash.

The brakes leaked about 1000 miles later at a stop light when I was squeezing the front brake EXTRA hard. There was a little ding in the brace--that's there to this day. However, I swapped out my brake lines to Galfers and the coupler was a unit that doesn't hit the brace.

The newer design is more of a gull wing design to ensure clearance on stock ABS FJRs for those years.

Or the alternative is to notch out your existing one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thoughts! I had this fork brace on my FJR for as long as I owned and rode it. A superb enhancement. I too had an aftermarket company rebuild my forks. Both of theses mods produced good results. I never had any fork damage nor have I ever had a customer complaint about the fork brace causing damage, or any other complaints. I can only surmise the tech was too lazy to reinstall it. My suggestion would be to put it back on. It is a simple task. Did he detail what kind of damage this might cause?

I haven't heard of issues with the GULL wing shaped forkbrace...specifically designed for ABS equipped FJRs, after the original straight bar type had issues with ABS FJRs.