Fork Suspension Upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
How have you improved the front suspension without taking a loan or auctioning your children?

I have an '05 w/ABS; 23,000miles, and I weigh 155 without gear.

The $1,000 price tag on cartridge forks is more than my justification can accept. So... Wanting to see what you all have done to improve front end handling.

Thanks for your inputs!

R/

No auction, just an even swap for my oldest duaghter. I think I got the better deal! ;)

I've used GP Suspensions on 2 different bikes, and I know several others on the board have used them too. Theres usually a group buy 2-3 times a year with these guys as well. Revalve and resprung acoording to your clamed weight and riding style. Give them a call and ask about cost of this service. I think you could expect 300 - 400 bucks depending on what you have done and freight.

Simple cost effective improvement:

Replace with heavier Traxxion fork springs and leave the valve in place. That, with fresh oil, is a noticeable improvement. Also the time to dial in all the suspension settings for your weight and riding style: sag, compression, rebound, preload.

Search on google:

suspension[space]site:fjrforum.com

at your weight, you should be able to make pretty good use of the OEM compression and dampening adjustments -combined with springs which don't cost much and playing with oil, you can do quite a bit with little cost.

I just got my forks back from GP Suspension and it is fantastic. I had them rebuild the leaky forks, add a heavier spring but left the valving alone. Had to make concesions due to budget. I also ponied up for the Penske shock with much heavier spring. I was out the door for less than 1300, most of that the shock and had them back in 8 days. They have my business as long as I ride.

I just had GP Suspension do my forks at the beginning of the month (March). He gave me the group buy discount from December, even though I was several months late to the party. FYI.

GP rebuilt the forks and shock that they installed 27,000 ago.

No leak in the forks but they were due, fork oil was beyond nasty.

Rear shock was just starting to leak.

'06' Feels like it's back on rails again.

Ready to go get some tickets with HaulinAshe again. :yahoo:

+1 on fork springs from Traxxion. Now you're talking a ~$100 investment instead of $1,000. Did it on mine along with a Penske shock with excellent results.

I went with Hyper Pro @ wilbersusa.com, front and rear spring kit, $250.00 +$30 for the shop to R&R the rear spring on the OEM shock. It was a big inprovement over stock. it's not as nice as the Penske or Ohlins but a lot less $$. Over the holiday I oredered a custom rear shock with adj preload, Hi/Lo speed dampning and ride height adj for $1k.

So I'm considering an upgraded spring (Traxxion or the like), bushings and new fork oil (for a 160lbs rider).

I'm looking for a break-down of parts so that I can compare prices with my local dealer/seller. To help axpedite the process, anybody willing to offer a list of parts required to upgrade the forks?

Thanks

r/

OOOOOHHHH I am watching this one closely...as mine has 21k and I know the fork oil is slugpuss by now.

I can tell the difference in the damp/rebound at stops now.

So, I was thinking of taking on the task myself, just ordering the Traxxion springs and have a go at it; but then one mechanic mentioned that putting in the springs were a PITA--

Been watching internet video to find someone doing a spring upgrade/install. I think the oil will be easy.

Didn't know there wasn't a manual service suggestion on when to change fork oil.....Thanks for the thread.

FJR-RemingtonRider

I've done fork springs before...on other bikes though, and have not found it a PITA to mess with the springs. For me, it was setting and inserting the spring lock on the seal that was the PITA.

Just wondering where I should get the parts...OEM or aftermarket?

From GP Suspension:

Valve Kit Do I need? ($155)

Fork Springs ($100)

Bushings, seals & oil (15wt?) ($???)

Anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:
FJR-RemingtonRider
I've done fork springs before...on other bikes though, and have not found it a PITA to mess with the springs. For me, it was setting and inserting the spring lock on the seal that was the PITA.

Just wondering where I should get the parts...OEM or aftermarket?

From GP Suspension:

Valve Kit Do I need? ($155)

Fork Springs ($100)

Bushings, seals & oil (15wt?) ($???)

Anything else?
Go for it all, you won't be sorry.

Bill

I bought the Trax springs and had them shipped to my friend the friendly motorcycle mechanic.

Flushed the stock forks, replaced the springs (GP asked my geared up weight and sold me appropriate springs), new 15w oil, and good to go.

Made a lot of improvement from stock, but those springs had 90k+ miles on them and I don't know how old the oil was.

They did say the old oil was pretty yucky

Looking further, found the Ignacio thread in 08' of them touring the GP facility and showing some nice pics.

Then another, had step by step pics of how they rebuilt his forks with valve kit, bushings, seals, oil, etc.....

I think for the first change I am just going to do the oil and springs....

Reading everyone's great love of GP's work and the aftermarket upgrades is very encouraging; but expensive.

And you are right, the spring just fell right out according to the photo montage....I guess the guy I spoke to was referring to the rear suspension spring or something.....

I am ordering the springs tonight and hope for delivery by Thursday and install Friday...If I get all weak-kneed I'll run the forks over to Dealership to put the forks back together.

.Looking at this now from previous thread

.Click

I just bought a penske rear shock from GPSuspension and I mentioned that I was a Forum member and they gave me a heck of a discount because of that. Don't know if it was equal to the group buy but it was good. I delt with Ben seemed to definatly know what he was talking about. :yahoo:

Well, placed order with Traxxion for Fork Springs....was going with racetech but website was acting whacky...

Ordered Springs, called to ask about shipping as it does not print on invoice..didn't wanna have a blind shipping charge.

Spoke to a kind feller; didn't catch his name but he also told me that they offer different spring for the FJR now....

a skinny spring that has a plastic covering(housing)...that does not allow the spring to rub inside the tubes...he said that several owners were complaining about the previous springs because they were noisey...and so they changed the spring and added a kit to it....Let's see perhaps that was mentioned somewhere and I just overlooked it here on the forum.

Fork Springs...................$109.00

Kit needed for springs........$14.95

Fork Seals.........................$24.95

Shipping (bus addr)............$10.50

Total .................................$159.40 Comes with detailed mounting instructions.

He was kind to offer a fork oil, as they recommend a 10wt oil, but I rather not pay shipping on fork oil, that can get expensive....plus already have some picked out.

He also added, since I mentioned this would be my first attempt at changing fork oil and springs, that I could call them up and get some advice if needed...Thanks...Very nice to know.....He mentioned...Terry was at the location with him while we were talking.

Hopefully; I'll be dancing in the garage on Thursday, as Wednesday I will tear down the forks and let them drain overnight.