From OEM Heated Grips to Regular Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nervous

Reaction score
OK, I did some digging but have not been able to find the clear answer I desire. My 09 has factory heated grips installed with the controller. I am thinking that I might not really need the heated grips after all and really like the BMW sport grips that I had on my Bandit. In most cases you take one grip off and on go the new but as you all know when the OEM heated grips come off, everything goes. Left side is easy stuff. Lust install the new ones.

But what about the throttle side? Because the throttle tube also goes is there an OEM throttle tube? The fiche appears to have a tube/grip assembly. Does one get that and cut the grip off? I have read about the G2 tubes but since I have an '09 I don't need the throttle altering contour that they offer, correct? I don't want to create a problem where there is none or solve a problem I don't have so the easiest, what was stock route would be preferred.

Has anyone done this? I know most folks want to go the other direction. Perhaps someone has an '09 throttle tube to sell me if they installed some heated grips.

Too bad you're so far away or I'd swap stock for heated in a heartbeat! I have a stock '09 throttle tube, but you'll also need the non-heated housing assembly too.

I bet you'll find someone local that will be more than willing to swap...probably throw in a couple $$$ too!

Good luck.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad you're so far away or I'd swap stock for heated in a heartbeat! I have a stock '09 throttle tube, but you'll also need the non-heated housing assembly too.

I bet you'll find someone local that will be more than willing to swap...probably throw in a couple $$$ too!

Good luck.

--G
What do you mean by the "non-heated housing assembly"? Is that the part that the cables run into that hold the throttle assembly in place on the bar? This is looking less and less like a good idea...
EDIT: Never mind, I found it.

I have a stock throttle tube and a defective OEM heated grip throttle tube - the wire breaks where it enters the grip which, as was commented needs to be cut away on the right side to put on something different. A serious waste of what is an expensive part.

I'm one of those who would be willing to send you a tube and some $$$ in exchange for your right side tube with the wiring and plug . . . . . .

The reason I have both is that I added OEM heated grips (which I love) to my ride and the right one went open circuit . . . . .

I have a stock throttle tube and a defective OEM heated grip throttle tube - the wire breaks where it enters the grip which, as was commented needs to be cut away on the right side to put on something different. A serious waste of what is an expensive part.

I'm one of those who would be willing to send you a tube and some $$$ in exchange for your right side tube with the wiring and plug . . . . . .

The reason I have both is that I added OEM heated grips (which I love) to my ride and the right one went open circuit . . . . .
I appreciate that and thank you. Right now I want to weigh all my options. If I decide to go non heated I'll remove the entire kit and sell it as a complete package. It's in excellent condition.

I'm one of those who would be willing to send you a tube and some $$ in exchange for your right side tube with the wiring and plug . . . . . .

I appreciate that and thank you. Right now I want to weigh all my options. If I decide to go non heated I'll remove the entire kit and sell it as a complete package. It's in excellent condition.
Fair enough, but remember that if you do you will need to replace the controller, as well as the throttle tube and cam assembly and a bunch of other bits and pieces - one of the benefits of working out a exchange of parts with someone who has converted the other way. Buying the bits is a somewhat finicky process and if you use new parts, likely to be very expensive.

Good luck.

--G
What do you mean by the "non-heated housing assembly"? Is that the part that the cables run into that hold the throttle assembly in place on the bar? This is looking less and less like a good idea...EDIT: Never mind, I found it.
Your idea isn't bad if you want to remove the heated grips. Looking at Cycle Parts Warehouse, stock parts are less than $50, adding the BMW grips and you're right at $70 all in. You can easily sell the OEM heated grip setup and make a couple bucks.

--G

Good luck.

--G
What do you mean by the "non-heated housing assembly"? Is that the part that the cables run into that hold the throttle assembly in place on the bar? This is looking less and less like a good idea...EDIT: Never mind, I found it.
Your idea isn't bad if you want to remove the heated grips. Looking at Cycle Parts Warehouse, stock parts are less than $50, adding the BMW grips and you're right at $70 all in. You can easily sell the OEM heated grip setup and make a couple bucks.

--G
Plus the controller hole cover, a couple other doo-dads and shipping and I am right around $100.00. I agree the heated grips in their current condition are worth a bit more than that so it's a cost effective change out. Probably enough left over for those fancy V-Strom guards I've been eye-balling as well.

So, a set of 'strom guards is about $45. If I shipped you an entire OEM unheated grip setup with the controller hole cover from my bike and $50 in exchange for your setup you'd be happy?

So, a set of 'strom guards is about $45. If I shipped you an entire OEM unheated grip setup with the controller hole cover from my bike and $50 in exchange for your setup you'd be happy?
Well, just not 100% sure on my direction yet. From all I can find the set of guards and hardware is a bit more than that unless you have a better source.

FJR Goodies Handguards

I also don't know if I also need the extra hardware listed in the installation write-up or if someone is selling a complete FJR setup. Let me keep plugging away until I can see the complete picture and decide to move forward. When the heated grips ate out I can see what they might e worth as a package.

Latest posts