Front brake pad pins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankerman

Reaction score
Having trouble removing the pad pins from the calipers on a 2015 FJR they are stuck on there pretty good and the heads appear to be made of cheese ie they want to strip before turning. Anybody run into this? If so would love some advice.

Having trouble removing the pad pins from the calipers on a 2015 FJR they are stuck on there pretty good and the heads appear to be made of cheese ie they want to strip before turning. Anybody run into this? If so would love some advice.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/brake-pad-pins-front-caliper-gen-ii-iii.166319/

This may not help you remove the pins, but it will tell you what to replace them with.
Unfortunately the photos are gone, but the Honda part number is still there.
Good luck.

I usually loosen / tighten those pins whenever I'm replacing tires while the caliper is still bolted to the scooter to avoid that problem.

dan

You can try heating them up by holding a soldering iron on them for a couple of minutes. Or spray with a quality penetrant ( not WD40) but guard for overspray. Quality tool too.

I’m glad you posted this about your brake pins giving you trouble.

It made me proactively go check my 2016 and realized there seems to be a tendency for the brake pad pins and calipers to get some bimetal corrosion

I would recommend everybody to not use a ball end Allen when loosening, but to use the standard straight Allen instead.

I have proactively taken just a slight smear of anti-seize on the Q-tip and put it on the pen threads. Should fix the issue!

Good luck with yours!

Last edited:
I've stripped one of mine twice. They suck! The first one a mechanic in Italy took care of it. I heard lots of banging! The second was just recently. Once again I was hammering the sh*t out of it. I think I was hammering in a torx bit to get a bite. Maybe added heat too. I can't remember. I kept trying different things. Those f***ers are salty from Yamaha too! Like $40 each or something like that. I got a few replacements off ebay for $10/ea or so, I think. I'll have to check out the Honda part for future reference.

Edit: My old man memory sucks. I think I used some kind of extractor now. Perhaps even with an impact driver. I need to consult with my helper.

Last edited:
Heating up the bolt allows for expansion and contraction breaking the bond between the bolt and whatever it's screwed into. Google how to loosen a stuck bolt and you'll see it's widely advised.
I had a good luck with that freeze spray on some cases.Heat didn't helped much.Anyway...He could try both heat and if doesn't help,then with the freeze spray..

Thanks for the tip, RossKean! I just ordered 2 Honda pins (one for each side), which currently cost $5.37 each from Partzilla. With shipping and tax, just over 10 bucks each.
Cheap insurance in my book.

View attachment 6791
Just hope they work OK. Should be easier to remove than OEM. (I haven't tried them, but I remembered the thread...)

Can you please send the Revzilla link for these? Or let me know what year and model Honda they fit so I can search that way. THANKS!!

Can you please send the Revzilla link for these? Or let me know what year and model Honda they fit so I can search that way. THANKS!!
If you simply do a Google search for the Honda part number in the thread I referenced, you will get a BUNCH of hits for vendors...
(No need for any description)

43215-KZ4-J41

Thanks for the tip, RossKean! I just ordered 2 Honda pins (one for each side), which currently cost $5.37 each from Partzilla. With shipping and tax, just over 10 bucks each.
Cheap insurance in my book.

View attachment 6791

Red,
Have you received those pins yet?
Pretty sure you know by now you should have ordered 4 of them. 2 for each side.

dan