Front Brake Squeal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I recently changed all eight front brake pads from the OEM to EBC HH. I bedded them in according to EBC directions. Although the brakes are effective, they tend to squeal if lightly applied at low speed. No squeal with firmer application of brakes.

There was no issue with the OEMs other than being worn out (37,000 miles) so I decided to replace with a less costly (1/2 the price) aftermarket pads. The GenII doesn't use any shims on the backs of the pads so I did not "forget" to replace them. When I changed the pads, I made sure everything was cleaned up, pistons moving freely, sliders lubed, retaining clip properly installed etc.

Anyone had any issues with squealing EBC pads? Any recommended solution? This isn't a functional problem but it is annoying; especially when crawling in traffic.

Ross

I have the same issue with my recently replaced EBC's. I think it may be to the amount of brake dust they put off. I cleaned mine yesterday but have not been able to test them yet.

I had a similar issue occur with my G35 coupe. When I switched from OEM Infiniti pads to Bendix, they squeaked when lightly applied for the first few thousand miles. Thankfully it went away, but I didn't think to note how long that was.

This may be the case here.

I have the same issue with my recently replaced EBC's. I think it may be to the amount of brake dust they put off. I cleaned mine yesterday but have not been able to test them yet.
I will wait and see unless someone knows of a fix for this. Its not bad enough (yet) to consider switching back to OEM pads but unless it stops making a racket, I will bite the bullet for OEM pads the next time.

Basically, the pads are vibrating at a high frequency. Had this issue on past bikes with EBC's and that's mainly why I look for other brands. Old trick is to take a file and make a 45 degree bevelled edge on the leading edge (bottom) of the pads. Doesn't have to be large, just 1/3 of the thickness of the pad, and think about doing it later as the pads wear. The squeal may return at a later date, then repeat. Also, if you have some high temp brake grease (silicone), smear a very light coating where the piston contacts the back of the pad.

Basically, the pads are vibrating at a high frequency. Had this issue on past bikes with EBC's and that's mainly why I look for other brands. Old trick is to take a file and make a 45 degree bevelled edge on the leading edge (bottom) of the pads. Doesn't have to be large, just 1/3 of the thickness of the pad, and think about doing it later as the pads wear. The squeal may return at a later date, then repeat. Also, if you have some high temp brake grease (silicone), smear a very light coating where the piston contacts the back of the pad.
Unless it gets worse, I'll probably just live with it for the rest of the season. During the Canadian bike maintenance season (aka winter), I may try the bevel trick and/or something on the backs of the pads to dampen the vibration. Back to the OEM pads next time.

Unless it gets worse, I'll probably just live with it for the rest of the season. During the Canadian bike maintenance season (aka winter), I may try the bevel trick and/or something on the backs of the pads to dampen the vibration. Back to the OEM pads next time.
Ross,

You probably won't have to wait until maintenance season.....those EBCs will have evaporated LONG before winter arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross, You probably won't have to wait until maintenance season.....those EBCs will have evaporated LONG before winter arrives.
+1 With my experience paying a bit extra for EBC pads designed for a daily use sport compact. Less than 10K miles and the pads vaporized leaving behind a weekly mess to clean on the wheels. Never again. I'll stick with OEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross,

You probably won't have to wait until maintenance season.....those EBCs will have evaporated LONG before winter arrives.
Thanks RH. I have read where some people have had a problem with longevity on the EBC's. For some reason, other folks have not had any issues. In any case, I will definitely keep a close eye on them. I'll be coming up on new tires in 3-4 thousand miles. I will pull the pads and replace with OEM if I don't like what I see.

Ross