Fuel injector test

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motomaniac

Reaction score
I removed a fuel injector from my wife's FZ6. The cylinder wasn't firing and I was getting spark from the plug. I'm getting 12.4 ohms resistance through the electrical connector. When I hook the injector up to a battery I'm not getting any clicking sound.( or the pintel isn't being activated.) I did the onboard test for the injectors and they passed.

Does anybody have any ideas what else I could try before I spend #130.00 for a new injector? Or where I might order one if I need to?

Thankyou for any ideas.

Swap the injector to a different cylinder and see if the problem moves with it!

As Ray said, you may be able to find a shop that will test and service it - do them all if you go that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you pull the spark plug on the cylinder that is not firing and the spark plug is wet then the injector is probably working fine. I am assuming you used either a thermal gun or pulled and grounded each spark plug lead to determine which cylinder was missing. If the onboard diagnostics are like the FJR then you can actually hear the injectors click when the solenoid inside the injector is triggered by the test. If the plug is dry and the diagnostics check out OK there may still be a problem with a clogged injector.

I used a local diesel shop when I tested my injectors since they are the only shop in the area that had the proper test jig that allowed them to actually see the spray pattern. The local car dealers use this shop to test injectors whenever the car repair shops want to check injectors they are working on.

Thank you all for your replies. The FZ6 onboard diagnostics are like the FJR's. The injectors clicked 5 times like they were supposed to. I used water on the header pipes to find the cold cylinder. The spark plug was dry upon removal. I'm selling the bike so I'm just going to check out this one injector. I didn't remove the throttle bodies for this job. I just loosened the rail and removed the offending injector so I can't try swapping them, but that is a good idea.

I really thought that when I applied voltage to the injector I would hear the pintel engage, so I'm assuming the injector is full of crud.

Thank you for your replies.

InjectorRX.com

They successfully cleaned and flow tested my 4 injectors on my VFR that had been plugged after sitting for 11 years. They did a great job at a reasonable price, $18 per injector. Quick turnaround too!

RD

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts