fuel tank leaking when disconnected for valve adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmsantam

Reaction score
When I disconnected my fuel tank to do a valve check (and adjustment as it turns out), i noticed fuel continued to flow out the bottom, where normally it would stop. I'm guessing some sort of valve is not working? Has anybody experienced this and have any suggestions?

It was my second valve check, on a 2001 Australian model with 76,000kms. low kms i know, but i bought it in 2014 with only 19000km on the clock!. 3 exhaust valves were tight. cylinder 1, exhaust valve 1 would easily accept 0.10mm (0.18mm last check) but 0.15mm would not quite go. cylinder 4 both exhaust valves would easily accept 0.15mm but not quite 0.18mm. All the other valves were somewhere in spec. I know I could have adjusted them all to the middle, but Im happy to check again in 40,000kms. I cable tied the chain to the bottom sprocket and the intake cam, and marked the chain and exhaust cam with a black marker in a couple of places. Good thing i did because the timing marks for the exhaust cam and right side of engine are impossible to see.

Many thanks to all those who have posted about valve adjustments, it helped me a lot, in combination with my haynes manual.

cheers

There has to be some kind of check ball in the hose fitting that probably sat off its seat. take a small screw driver and push it in a little to see if it returns on it's seat. Failing that, you may need to replace the hose fitting.

What did you remove? Gen 1 has feed and return lines to-from pump. Feed to fuel rail is a O-ring type connector. Return is clamped hose.O rings can fail or clamps are loose.

No need to disconnect any fuel lines just prop tank up. Fuel level must be about 1/4 tank or it will overflow from neck. Check feed to rail that its connected securely.

Thanks for the replies. I removed all items from the bottom of the tank, because I needed to remove the tank to get good access for the valve clearance adjustment.

The fuel definitely comes out the white plastic attachment on the tank. That's the one that had a clip on it, which needed to be "squeezed" in order to release it. That goes to the fuel rail (as somebody mentioned).

I believe the tank fitting with the clamped hose return also leaked, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I had removed the clamped hose, to remove the fuel tank.

The fuel tank was propped up to remove all of the connections underneath, and did not leak profusely until I set it down flat. This is because it was only 1/4 or less full, so no fuel could get out while it was propped up.

When everything is connected up, nothing leaks.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
May just be a little dirt on O-ring at tank connection then. Try to clean it and check for leaks again . Leave tank up and turn key on this will pressurize lines and recheck for leaks.