FZ 09

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFJR1300

Reaction score
Thinking about trading in my 2008 FJR for a new FZ09.

I really like the FJR but I do miss the "flickable" aspects of a lighter bike in the twisty stuff, that and I'm not riding as many long rides as I thought I would.

I still owe about $5,500 on my 2008 as I bought it in 2013 with only 2,900 miles on her, she has 15,500 on her now.

I really need 2 bikes but can only afford one right now.

For me the FJR for long runs and the FZ09 for less than say 300 mile rides would be a perfect combination.

Anyone own a FZ09 and have any thoughts/comments about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im on this same fence. I know I would love one, would probably have to keep the FJR, I just wonder if I'm too old and fat for that small of a bike. I would love to hear from some owners that have one and are in the age bracket of the average FJR owners.

I've sat on one, and it is very small. Feels like a dual sport in size and weight, but with a rip snortin' 900cc triple engine in the frame.

I'd just kill myself on that thing. ;)

Rode one at the local demo truck day. It definitely is fun, but I am too "old" for such a flickable little rocket. By that I mean that I enjoy the FJR and the way it can still carve corners without encouraging me to do the hooligan thing and get stupid. I did find it a bit snug though. Seemed as if I was folded over the bike a bit. Of course, I am so used to the upright position of the FJR, anything out of that position seems uncomfortable (tried a cruiser with the forward controls and felt way too stretched out). But that's just me, your mileage may vary...

I'm waiting to see the FJ 09.
unsure.png

I really like the FZ6R. I'm short and it's very short person friendly. It has an in-line four, so it's just as smooth as our FJR's. It weighs a fraction of our FJR's. I think you can get hard bags for it.

It's supposed to be a "girl's bike" I'm told. So don't consider it if you worry to much about what others might think.

I really like the FZ6R. I'm short and it's very short person friendly. It has an in-line four, so it's just as smooth as our FJR's. It weighs a fraction of our FJR's. I think you can get hard bags for it.
It's supposed to be a "girl's bike" I'm told. So don't consider it if you worry to much about what others might think.
Jim....nice lookin bike but someone has to explain something to me.

Why does a bike that's half the weight of a FJR and half the engine size get about the SAME MPG??

On YAMAMAMAS web site it shows 43MPG? I actually get better than that sometimes with my FJR!

I would think that bike would get over 50MPG easily??

I rode an Fz6r for 3 years before the Fjr. I got worse mileage with the Fz6r because it was almost double the RPM at any speed, even with six gears.

I rode one on a demo day. I could never replace the FJR with it. Even before reaching 70 I was missing the windscreen!!!

Tiny thing, too! I couldn't see the bike while rising without a definite tipdown of my head. No look down with the eyes, I had to drop my chin so the helmet visor was facing down. Visually, as I was riding I was floating in space above the road!