Garmin TPMS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bust-A-Cap

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of the Gamin TPMS so I could take advantage of tire monitor feature of my Garmin 590LM. The instructions say that you need steel air valve stems or risk possible injury. I've changed my tires twice and never requested steel stems so my question is do we need them for this particular accessory?

Talked about on the forum a few times. Search "TPMS valve stem" and similar terms.

The thing is that you're putting something that has far more mass than an air cap on the end of a flexible valve stem. You planning to ride a road at FJR nominal speeds? That's going to a significant force on that floppy bit of rubber. If it breaks off at speed you then have to deal with a rapidly deflating tire. Is that a risk you're OK with? Then you wouldn't probably "need" them.

However, most folks that use TPMS (including myself) switched over to the 83 degree aluminum angle valve stems sold by BikeEffects.com forum member Jeff and were careful about alignment of the front stem to not interfere with the brake caliper. Yes, there's some load that's not the same axis as the stem, but I'm personally more trusting of the aluminum stems given the approximate 7 grams of the Garmin TPMS units.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you're doing the suggested search you'll see these mentioned. Last time I believe was in the recent FOBO thread.

CM1044.jpg

Man, this simple add on keeps getting more expensive! Thank you for your advice, but I was sure hoping the answer would have been "you're good!". I guess I'm off to the dealership after I order the new stems.

I have the Garmin TPMS on my Super Tenere with stock rubbery valve stems. About 25k miles so far and nary a problem. Guess I am lucky?

I'm leaning towards getting the aluminum set that Ignacio recommended. I'm just waiting for Jeff at BikeEffects to find out from the manufacturer if the Garmin TPMS won't be too heavy for the stem or fuse onto it. I have a Jeep and swapped out the plastic air valve caps for nicer looking aluminum aftermarket valve caps...what a mistake! The aluminum caps fused onto the steel stems and I had to have a tire repair shop grind the damn things off...don't want to go through that again!

What you have to know is if the sensors will still clear the brake calipers once mounted. The safest route is go with the T-stems, which allow you to leave the sensors on the valve stem and add air in the other port, no loss of air while screwing on a sensor......