Gas Guage !@#$%?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both you basties can kiss my wrinkled ol' ass! :fuck: And I DO mean wrinkled and old!

C'mon, let's face it. The float itself is just a shitty piece of sonic-welded plastic. Who knows how much or how little built up pressure OR vacuum in a sealed environment (read: non-venting tank) could cause the float to crack, even slightly, causing a leak allowing enough gas to enter the float forcing a "neutral buoyancy" issue where it never floats to the top of the fuel level, thereby always reading "low".

Another possibility is the float may have sprung a leak and now is a low rider in the tank.
Ionbeam first speculated a leaky float. I'm just hypothesizing a reason for a leaking float.

SHEESH you guys! Give a brutha a break!

Just think, if that float is made with even 1/10th the quality of the CCT spring, chances are it dissolved a few thousands miles ago. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the good tips here. I'm going to bring in my bike for the 24K service, so I'll be sure to print this thread out, so they can finally fix my gas gauge woes. :rolleyes:
My bike is in the shop today for the Tech to look at the Gas Guage/fuel pump. I haven't been able to get around to this until now, and want to use what is left of the 4 yr. Extended Warranty that I paid for before it expires. I'll report the findings later.

Later,

George J.

[quote name='Khunajawdge' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:47 PM' post='573163'

My bike is in the shop today for the Tech to look at the Gas Guage/fuel pump

Well, that was yesterday, today I have the bike back.

Here's what happened according to the write-up person and the Tech at the local moto-sports shop. The bike was brought in under extended warranty with the following write-up.

Job: Diagnose and Advise Fuel Issue (write up)

Customer states that fuel guage is not operating correctly. Used to get @ 200 miles before reaching reserve at which time would get @ an additional 30+ miles. Now when he fills the tank needle sits below full, only gets 180-190 miles before reserve and once on reserve gets @ 40 to 50 + miles. He is not comfortable and has no way of knowing how much fuel he actually has in tank.

Resolution

Tech RF: pulled the tank, removed the fuel pump module, found gauge sensor dislodged from module retreated and reassembled. Filled tank and it shows full now.

So...so far gauge is fine! Kudos for an extended warranty service worth a little over $120.00 = NC.

Great that the shop filled my tank with fuel = Kudos!

Now, I am going to pull all this stuff out myself, just to see what it all looks like. Sssshhh! :secret:

...removed the fuel pump module, found gauge sensor dislodged from module retreated and reassembled. Filled tank and it shows full now...Now, I am going to pull all this stuff out myself, just to see what it all looks like...
Congratulations on a simple, easy fix. I dunno how it worked at all with the sensor dislodged. To remove the pump assembly I believe that you will have to disconnect the float...

It's been a while since the last post, but I still haven't gotten my fuel gauge problem corrected yet. :( Brought it in last time for my 24K checkup and the dealer still wasn't able to resolve it. So I've been running around with the problem, and one time, I ran the tank dry (accidentally of course) at only 209 miles with 67 miles into the reserve. When I topped off the tank, it only read 5.38 gallons! I am puzzled, as the tank should be 6.6 gallons. I'm no expert here, but no way could there be 1.3 gallons of unuseable fuel. Seems like my tank has shrunken! Any thoughts? Need some help here in SJC! :blink:

...When I topped off the tank, it only read 5.38 gallons! I am puzzled, as the tank should be 6.6 gallons. I'm no expert here, but no way could there be 1.3 gallons of unuseable fuel. Seems like my tank has shrunken! Any thoughts?...
Refer back to post #16 in this very thread. This post is serious. I've seen a FJR tank that his has happened to.

Related thread.

There HAVE been other California bikes with imploded gas tanks.

IIRC, because it's related to the CARB (Cal Air Resources Board) required smog attachments they must replace the tank....but I'm not 100% certain of that.

I wish I could remember who in the Sacramento area had this done...RSVLFeej?

IIRC, because it's related to the CARB (Cal Air Resources Board) required smog attachments they must replace the tank....but I'm not 100% certain of that.

You Cali guys trying to use these tanks as bongs or sumpin'? I'm surprised you haven't blown yourselves up!

And to Ion and Sheep clap on a stick -- :finger: :finger: :lol2:

Nope. Fuel pump and gauge all replaced about 2 1/2 -3 years ago, never collapsed my tank - still getting well over 220 miles / tank on summer gas.

I remember the thread you're talking about - I think this is it https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...8&hl=whoosh

It's been a while since the last post, but I still haven't gotten my fuel gauge problem corrected yet. :( Brought it in last time for my 24K checkup and the dealer still wasn't able to resolve it. So I've been running around with the problem, and one time, I ran the tank dry (accidentally of course) at only 209 miles with 67 miles into the reserve. When I topped off the tank, it only read 5.38 gallons! I am puzzled, as the tank should be 6.6 gallons. I'm no expert here, but no way could there be 1.3 gallons of unuseable fuel. Seems like my tank has shrunken! Any thoughts? Need some help here in SJC! :blink:
Try a different dealer? seriously - has it been the same dealer the whole time? didn't you say earlier you had a warranty? (or is that you had a warranty back when they replaced the cluster adn the fuel pump, but not now?) Presuming you have warranty now - gheesh - how many times can they work on the bike and not fix it? Unless there is more to the story, I'd document what has been going on and contact Yamaha corporate. (again) Presuming still under warranty, I'd go someplace else as that appears to be unacceptable treatment to keep giving you the bike back unfixed. Take it some place, give them the history, and tell the other dealership to start replacing parts until its fixed, and not call back until its done.

So - is this a known bad dealer in your area, or you telling not to go full-bore on fixing, or ??

if NOT under warranty now

- is it noted in the service record that their warranty repair didn't fix the issue? I'd go for getting them to finish their work, but if that was years ago, I wouldn't count on such graciousness

- sounds like its time to pull that tank as recommended. If you ran out, and could only put in 5.38 gal, then that should tell you something.

my recommendation - plan a tech day for your house, offer adult beverages and food (hamburgers may suffice) and see who will attend and help you ;^)

That was one thing I like about my Concours ZG1000, pulling the tank off was SO easy. On one occassion, I took my tank off mid-ride to help top off a ST1100 riders tank who ran out (took only a few minutes). Doesn't look like the FJR will be so simple :(

You posted before about a wooshing sound, when opening the tank. Under the cap is an orange/red rubber piece that has to be upright. It connects the vent of the tank, through the cap. I think it can get knocked sideways and then the tank won't vent ,and yes it can collapse the tank. I'll try to get a picture in the morning.

To follow up with my gauge problem: I got my bike back from the dealer and my gas gauge problem has finally been fixed!! :yahoo:

Thanks to everyone for your insight and recommendations. I brought my FJ to the dealer I've been working with. And yes, this problem has dragged on for a long time, but I'm not going to blame the dealer for that. I am completely happy with the service I receive there. Instead of leaving the bike, and saying fix it till it's done, I took it step by step, preferring to not leave my bike for an extended period of time.

So now, with my YES warranty due to expire, I brought it in armed with the tips you guys have provided. And you guys were right on. My bike had venting problems, which resulted in my fuel tank imploding. This slowly "shrinking" tank was causing my fuel gauge to read wrong. I saw my tank, and the bottom, which should've been completely flat, was caved in. Got a new tank from Japan installed, and now the gauge reads correctly! How funny that the fuel gauge was correct all this time, when it was the tank that was causing the problem.

Thanks again you guys! :clapping:

I am glad to see a resolution to this! :good:

Hopefully, This will not happen to anyone else, But if it does, We are well informed to fix it! :clapping: