Gel in seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOFFjr1300

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to get a new seat. Thinking about using Top Sellerie. I've got some replays in the Norwegian forum about the gel insert. Some said that the gel worn out In about 3 seasons...?. When It's get warm it become saggy... Any troughs about that??. Any experience with gel inserts?.
Don't want to spend money on it, if it's not deliver what I'd expect.

Geir Ove
Norway

Hi, I'm going to get a new seat. Thinking about using Top Sellerie. I've got some replays in the Norwegian forum about the gel insert. Some said that the gel worn out In about 3 seasons...?. When It's get warm it become saggy... Any troughs about that??. Any experience with gel inserts?.
Don't want to spend money on it, if it's not deliver what I'd expect.

Geir Ove
Norway

I have bought the Top Sellerie with the gel insert but didn't get the heated seat so unable to give you any feedback. I am in Australia and have used mine for 1 season, so far so good. I find it more comfortable than the original OEM seat and would definitely buy again. I think they are a bit over priced but shipping to Aus didn't help with the expected budget. Good luck with your choices

Attachments

• 20230412_094353.jpg
    20230412_094353.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230521_100044.jpg
    20230521_100044.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I had a Top Sellerie seat on my Varadero. I went for the gel option but I have to say I probably wouldn't bother again.
The seats are very well made and after 3 years mine was still like new, but do force you to sit in one position all the time due to the 'step' in the saddle.
I'd also go for more padding than you think you'll need as they're quite soft; If you need the height due to leg length then I'd definitely add a few centimetres. If you're a shortar*e then leave it as standard!

I had a Top Sellerie seat on my Varadero. I went for the gel option but I have to say I probably wouldn't bother again.
The seats are very well made and after 3 years mine was still like new, but do force you to sit in one position all the time due to the 'step' in the saddle.
I'd also go for more padding than you think you'll need as they're quite soft; If you need the height due to leg length then I'd definitely add a few centimetres. If you're a shortar*e then leave it as standard!
Hi Andy Dave,
Oki, so what you are saying is, if I think of going for the lower version,... Then I should go for the standard version, as the standard version will be lower then the OEM seat anyway. And you, staying in Australia, must be experienced with the heat.... You didn't experience the " sagginess" due to the heat?. There is obviously different experiences with the gel🤔.

I have bought the Top Sellerie with the gel insert but didn't get the heated seat so unable to give you any feedback. I am in Australia and have used mine for 1 season, so far so good. I find it more comfortable than the original OEM seat and would definitely buy again. I think they are a bit over priced but shipping to Aus didn't help with the expected budget. Good luck with your choices
Tank's for the pictures, and replay. Did you go for a lower version. How vas the hight compared to the OEM seat.... And what colour, fabric did you go for.... Could you please give me the code you used.... Yours look good, and I'm looking for the same look and stitching.

I'm in France and have a Top Sellerie Gel seat on both my motos, an FJR and a Honda Deauville (NT700VA). I have had the seats for about 4 years. I have ridden on the seats in temperatures up to 40°C and down to 0°C (or just slightly below). I am 174cm with 74cm in-seam and a little over-weight :D . So here are my thoughts:

Executive Summary
Buy one for your FJR

Honda Deauville NT700VA (2010)
Seat type: Top Sellerie Standard Comfort Gel Seat no heating.
Seat installed: January 2020
Condition: Like new
Use type: I use this moto for commuting to work 5 days a week, about 50 km each way (but this varies between 15 km and 100 km each way).

It is exceptionally comfortable. It is very slightly higher than the stock seat. It is very slightly warmer in winter, once warmed up, than the stock. I have not noticed the seat being too hot during the summer but I'm usually only on it on average about 45 minutes at a time. The seat has held up very well to commuting in the Paris region and remains as comfortable as the day I bought it. The only downside I have found is that the staples holding the cover to the seat pan are showing signs of rust. I recommend putting a little mineral oil on the staples prior to installing the seat.

Deauville Seat when new
DSC_0404.JPG

FJR1300 AE (2019)
Seat type: Top Sellerie Lowered Comfort Gel Seat no heating.
Condition: Like new (minor scuffs on the rear seat where the front seat meets it).
Use type: Touring in and around France

It is exceptionally comfortable but the Top Sellerie seat on the Deaville is more comfortable. It is about 1.5 cm lower than the stock seat. It is very slightly warmer in autumn and Spring, once warmed up, than the stock. (I don't usually ride very far on the FJR in winter). I am usually on the seat for long periods, between 2 and 4 hours at a time (180 - 350 km) and up to 8-9 hours in total per day. The total distance ridden on the seat is about 20,000 km. The roads I ride are usually back, country roads (not smooth! Never seen a GS on them :p :D ) and I have only ever ridden on a non-urban Motorway on the FJR for a total of about 50 km. I also avoid main roads and dual carriages where possible. I have not noticed the seat being too hot during the summer even though the air temperature is above 30°C and can reach 40°C. The seat has held up very well to touring and remains as comfortable as the day I bought it. The only downsides I have found is the same as the Deauville seat - the staples holding the cover to the seat pan are showing signs of rust. So, I recommend putting a little mineral oil on the staples prior to installing the seat. And it takes a little finagling to install the seat when new.

FJR seat after 3 years of use (about 15,000 km)
FJR_Seat.JPG

Last edited:
I'm in France and have a Top Sellerie Gel seat on both my motos, an FJR and a Honda Deauville (NT700VA). I have had the seats for about 4 years. I have ridden on the seats in temperatures up to 40°C and down to 0°C (or just slightly below). I am 174cm with 73cm in-seam and a little over-weight :D . So here are my thoughts:

Executive Summary
Buy one for your FJR

Use type: I use this moto for commuting to work 5 days a week, about 50 km each way (but this varies between 15 km and 100 km each way).

It is exceptionally comfortable. It is very slightly higher than the stock seat. It is very slightly warmer in winter, once warmed up, than the stock. I have not noticed the seat being too hot during the summer but I'm usually only on it on average about 45 minutes at a time. The seat has held up very well to commuting in the Paris region and remains as comfortable as the day I bought it. The only downside I have found is that the staples holding the cover to the seat pan are showing signs of rust. I recommend putting a little mineral oil on the staples prior to installing the seat.

Deauville Seat when new
View attachment 6207

FJR1300 AE (2019)
Condition: Like new (minor scuffs on the rear seat where the front seat meets it).

It is exceptionally comfortable but the standard seat on the Deaville is more comfortable. It is about 1.5 cm lower than the stock seat. It is very slightly warmer in autumn and Spring, once warmed up, than the stock. (I don't usually ride very far on the FJR in winter). I am usually on the seat for long periods, between 2 and 4 hours at a time (180 - 350 km) and up to 8-9 hours in total per day. The total distance ridden on the seat is about 20,000 km. The roads I ride are usually back, country roads (not smooth! Never seen a GS on them :D ) and I have only ever ridden on a non-urban Motorway on the FJR for a total of about 50 km. I also avoid main roads and dual carriages where possible. I have not noticed the seat being too hot during the summer even though the air temperature is above 30°C and can reach 40°C. The seat has held up very well to touring and remains as comfortable as the day I bought it. The only downside I have found is the same as the Deauville seat - the staples holding the cover to the seat pan are showing signs of rust. So, I recommend putting a little mineral oil on the staples prior to installing the seat.

View attachment 6206
Tank's a lot man, for that long and explaining replay. Now I don't really know, go for gel, lower ( I'm 179 cm, 80 kg)?. Maybe I should go for gel anyway, and the lowerd one.... Did you custom it og just go for the stock one, in 003 black?.Silver stitching?.
Regards
Geir Ove
Norway

I'm in France and have a Top Sellerie Gel seat on both my motos, an FJR and a Honda Deauville (NT700VA). I have had the seats for about 4 years. I have ridden on the seats in temperatures up to 40°C and down to 0°C (or just slightly below). I am 174cm with 74cm in-seam and a little over-weight :D . So here are my thoughts:

Executive Summary
Buy one for your FJR

Deauville Seat when new
View attachment 6207

FJR1300 AE (2019)

It is exceptionally comfortable but the Top Sellerie seat on the Deaville is more comfortable. It is about 1.5 cm lower than the stock seat. It is very slightly warmer in autumn and Spring, once warmed up, than the stock. (I don't usually ride very far on the FJR in winter). I am usually on the seat for long periods, between 2 and 4 hours at a time (180 - 350 km) and up to 8-9 hours in total per day. The total distance ridden on the seat is about 20,000 km. The roads I ride are usually back, country roads (not smooth! Never seen a GS on them :p :D ) and I have only ever ridden on a non-urban Motorway on the FJR for a total of about 50 km. I also avoid main roads and dual carriages where possible. I have not noticed the seat being too hot during the summer even though the air temperature is above 30°C and can reach 40°C. The seat has held up very well to touring and remains as comfortable as the day I bought it. The only downsides I have found is the same as the Deauville seat - the staples holding the cover to the seat pan are showing signs of rust. So, I recommend putting a little mineral oil on the staples prior to installing the seat. And it takes a little finagling to install the seat when new.

View attachment 6206
Looking at you're picture. Just the one I've would like👍. Does it have an order nr..?

The only "customisation" was the lowering on the FJR seat. The full name of the model is the Top Sellerie Deluxe Comfort Gel seat.

I would think the standard height one would be OK for you. It depends on your leg length. If your in-seam is over 76 cm, then definitely the standard one. Can you place your foot flat on the ground on the stock Yamaha seat?

This is the link. You'll need to configure the seat for you:
Top Sellerie Deluxe Comfort Seat

The only "customisation" was the lowering on the FJR seat. The full name of the model is the Top Sellerie Deluxe Comfort Gel seat.

I would think the standard height one would be OK for you. It depends on your leg length. If your in-seam is over 76 cm, then definitely the standard one. Can you place your foot flat on the ground on the stock Yamaha seat?

This is the link. You'll need to configure the seat for you:
Top Sellerie Deluxe Comfort Seat
Hi, no.... I can't put my foot flat down..... When you say in-seem, what do you mean, from the ground to my waist, or inside of my topp thigh?

Hi, no.... I can't put my foot flat down..... When you say in-seem, what do you mean, from the ground to my waist, or inside of my topp thigh?
How far from putting you foot flat on the ground are you? For me, with the lowered seat, the balls of my feet (while wearing moto boots) are on the ground.

Your in-seam is the inside of your leg from the ground to your crotch.

Boots on, stand on my balls on my feet😂. Sorry, not so sturdy in my English.
As I said, I really want a new seat, I ofte ride for a long time, and long trips. Norway, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Italy... In summertime, I often spend 3....4 weeks on my bike... love to ride.... and again tank's a lot for you're replays.

You would probably benefit from the lowered gel seat especially if you want to have more of your foot on the ground, it depends on how often you put your foot down... Or, you can do like me, shift your body slightly to one side when you stop so you can "flat foot".

I'm very happy with lowered gel seat on my FJR.

As I said, I really want a new seat, I ofte ride for a long time, and long trips. Norway, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Italy... In summertime, I often spend 3....4 weeks on my bike... love to ride.... and again tank's a lot for you're replays.

Ah, if you're in the saddle for a long time, the standard one would be very slightly more comfortable.