Gen I Spacer/tuning block mod. question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCJeff

Reaction score
I've read about the effectiveness of tuning blocks or spacers in windshelds and I would like to give it a try. I am hoping for some words of wisdom from those with experience in making this mod. Please comment if I am missing something here.

I am riding a gen I (04) with a blue Cee Bailey flip. I believe that it is a +2 high +2 wide. It is very loud for me with lots of turbulance unless I duck down behind the shield. I am sure that I need a taller screen (I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam) but would like to try spacers first. I have read that a stack of washers or a 3/8" nut with a couple longer screws will do the trick. Stainless is best. Any more than 3/8" and something hits......I can't see what would hit? If this works I should get something machined or buy a tuning block. All true? Any warnings?

Thanks for any useful thoughts!

In the "old days" manyof us did that mod. IIRC, I used 2 3/8" nuts on each side. It helped but at my height (6'2"x32" inseam) the flip just doesn't work and I get the buffeting noise in my helmet. I've since gone to a taller windshield (+4) looking for the elusive "wind-noise-nirvana".

I'm just about the same upper body length as you and have tried:

Stock shield

+4, +4 Cee Baileys in stock configuration

2 - 3/16" washers on the +4, +4 CeeBaileys (still some buffeting)

2 - 3/8" nylon washers and longer screws on a stock shield (IIRC, a little better than stock)

2 - 3/8" nylon washers on the +4, +4 CeeBaileys (still some buffeting, but the best I could do with that shield - Rifle tuning block put the shield right in my face at top-of-nose level)

Borrowed XL California Scientific shield for a short test - smoother air than the CB, but still some buffeting and too short for me

Rifle touring with and without tuning block (got rid of that shield ASAP - no good for me - too short)

What works best for me is:

In the winter:

Rifle jumbo - Aahh, near nirvana in the winter although it is a HUGE shield, so there is a distinct 'popemobile' look to it - but the calm air behind it makes up for the loss in fuel economy and the funky look. In traffic / cross winds I still get pockets of turbulence.

In the spring, summer, and fall:

Stock shield with a Rifle tuning block. All the way down gives extremely smooth air flow with max cooling for our hot days. Again, being in the wrong spot in traffic can lead to bumpy air. All the way up gives some break in the air flow for cooler morning rides, but with some loss of 'clean' air - still much better than stock with or without washer-type spacers.

Good luck,

RsvlFeej

Last edited by a moderator:
So are you guys suggesting that it's not worth doing.....not going to help me?
I think it is up to trial and error. So many different factors: riders position, height, windshield type, etc... I had the tunning block on the stock windshield, great for cooling, still noisy. I got a used Rifle +4 and it worked fine still a little noisy. I took the tunning block off and with the Rifle it is much quieter.

Here's one of many links to windshield spacing:

Spacing Out

My ultimate solution was the Rifle Touring shield which I think is a +4+4. With the tuning block (which is an angled spacer) I get really sweet smooth air at Full Down, but then it won't provide a quiet pocket at Full Up. Without the block, I get some chop at Full Down, but get the best quiet air at 3/4 Up. The wife unit likes it Full Up (of course! :ph34r: ) when we're 2-up, then I'm looking thru the screen. Full Up great for cold and for rain also. (For reference, I'm 5'10, using 3/4" handlebar risers)

I'm not sure if the flat washers or nuts would bring the shield angle down like the Rifle block does. I think it does to some extent. As far as bumping things, I think you might contact the mirrors or the handlebars at full tilt, or any accessories hanging forward (radar detector, GPS) if you go too extreme. Thus the 3/8" spacer limit, I think.

Let us know what you do and if it works! But I'll bet you end up with a +4 if you're after quiet(er) air. Everyones mileage does vary A LOT on this topic!

P.S. for more links to discussion, you can search by going into Google, then type this is in:

windshield spacers forum: FJR.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Do NOT use nylon spacers...they can cause failure of the screws...IIRC.

When I read the above, I replaced my nylon spacers w/ SS screws and spacers from McMaster-Carr.

So are you guys suggesting that it's not worth doing.....not going to help me?
Don't know - I never ran a flip. The various washers helped to varying degrees and they're an extremely cheap experiment, but they never did as well as the tuning block for me. I personally never had an issue w/ nylon washers/spacers, but I'll bow to the collective wisdom of the board and assume someone did have issues.

I think windshields follow the same basic equation as futzing around with the stock seat - you can throw small to medium amounts of money and time at it to make it better, but never get close to the comfort of a custom seat or w/s. I'd check the big 3 w/s makers (California Scientific, Rifle, VStream) for sizing and see what they suggest, then see if anybody has one for sale on the board or if someone nearby has one you can try out.

FWIW, I ran the CB +4,+4 for 4 or 5 winter seasons with varying thicknesses of spacers and it was good enough and definitely better than stock. I also ran the stock seat for 35K miles +/-. Would I go back to either from my current setup? - No. Have I achieved nirvana? - No.