Gen III Side Panel Removal with Charcoal Canister

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Fuke me!  These California model FJRs with the charcoal cannister on Gen III+ are a major ass-pain.

Removing the right side fairing panel was a major PITA because of the charcoal canister puzzle.

Does anybody have a secret trick that I couldn't figure out?

Working on a 2013 California model I obtained not too long ago.  The charcoal canister seriously complicates side panel removal.   I want to remove the stupid thing.  Has anybody 'been there, done that' and have any tricks or advice?

Working on a 2013 California model I obtained not too long ago.  The charcoal canister seriously complicates side panel removal.   I want to remove the stupid thing.  Has anybody 'been there, done that' and have any tricks or advice?
Been there, done that (well, I didn't didn't remove it, but could have).

Did some pics. Undo the three screws underneath (pic taken using mirror on the ground):

(Click on image for larger view)

Then you can split the fairing sides, exposing the offending article:

The rest should be obvious.

I did a few pics, try from here.

Piccies worked for me Mr. Nuke.

Thanks mcatrophy.  But I easily got to the point shown in your two photos.  It's after that that got me.  Since the canister still connects the two side panels and it is not obvious on how to undo the puzzle.  I do see how you removed the left panel and laid it on it's side.  I didn't do that.  Next time.  No time now, but a winter project when the garage is less than 90 degrees will be to remove that stupid canister.

Piccies worked for me Mr. Nuke.

Thanks mcatrophy.  But I easily got to the point shown in your two photos.  It's after that that got me.  Since the canister still connects the two side panels and it is not obvious on how to undo the puzzle.  I do see how you removed the left panel and laid it on its side.  I didn't do that.  Next time.  No time now, but a winter project when the garage is less than 90 degrees will be to remove that stupid canister.
To spell it out a bit, initially it's only the left fairing that is freed. In the 2nd picture above, you can see one of two hex-headed bolts that screw the canister to the bracket that holds it to the two side fairings.

In this picture the heads of the two hex bolts below the canister can be seen:

(Click on image for larger view)

Undo those two bolts, so removing the canister from the bracket. The pictures below shows the bracket, canister removed, still attached to the right fairing.

At that point the canister is dangling from its pipes, the details of removing it are outside of my expertise, but it's been done before and is probably the same as for a Gen 2.

You could choose to remove the bracket altogether, it's held on at its top by a single screw to the right fairing, partially visible in the above pictures. That would leave open bolt-holes in the bottom of the fairings - there's also the hole for a breather which I think comes from the canister. Leaving the bracket in place would block the bolt holes, but isn't needed to hold the fairings together, the non-canister Gen 3s only have the single screw like the Gen 2's. Leaving the holes lets them drain any water, makes them more like the non-canister Gen 3 which has drain holes.

I did this when changing my fairings, needed because a slight(?) misjudgement on a very tight hairpin made a wall jump out and hit my left side. In order to avoid an accident I laid it down on its right side. That was expensive in terms of mirror and plastic. But if it helps you in your enterprise, it would have been well worth while 🙃 .

Seem to remember there's a connection to the throttle bodies that also needs to be plugged? I think we bought the OE parts for tank connections...it's been a while!

~G

Trying to remember back to my '07 - I think that the Gen III CA models are the same.  First of all, Have a good look at the on-line parts fiche for the CA and non-CA models to see what has to be removed or added if you are deciding to get rid of the canister.  If you are just trying to get it apart, there are three screws underneath instead of just one for a non-CA.  Remove the middle one and the left one.  This allows the two halves to be separated but leaves the canister still attached to one side.  To take that side off, you just have to disconnect the hoses and leave the canister attached to the right side.  This makes it MUCH easier for reassembly.  The canister remains attached to its bracket.

Trying to remember back to my '07 - I think that the Gen III CA models are the same.  First of all, Have a good look at the on-line parts fiche for the CA and non-CA models to see what has to be removed or added if you are deciding to get rid of the canister.  If you are just trying to get it apart, there are three screws underneath instead of just one for a non-CA.  Remove the middle one and the left one.  This allows the two halves to be separated but leaves the canister still attached to one side.  To take that side off, you just have to disconnect the hoses and leave the canister attached to the right side.  This makes it MUCH easier for reassembly.  The canister remains attached to its bracket.

'13 model with 52k miles and couldn't get those hoses to budge.  Even with a pair of pliers.  It got to the point I was afraid I was going to break them.

'13 model with 52k miles and couldn't get those hoses to budge.  Even with a pair of pliers.  It got to the point I was afraid I was going to break them.
Don't remember that being a problem once the spring clips were removed.  Maybe yours were baked on longer than mine...

There are 2 hoses at the canister. One goes to the throttle bodies and the other goes to the fuel tank. You need to block off the one going to the throttle bodies. You can trace them out, suss out the parts diagram or do it the easy way. Open the gas cap and blow into one of the hoses. If you can hear air in the gas tank, the other hose needs to blocked off. 

I found my canister today on my 2013 bought used in CA,. Is a fix just to snip the hoses and attach with a coupler?  Leave the bracket, remove the canister? Thanks.

I found my canister today on my 2013 bought used in CA,. Is a fix just to snip the hoses and attach with a coupler?  Leave the bracket, remove the canister? Thanks.
Look at the parts fiche for the fuel tank.  It shows parts for both versions.  You can tell what you should do from there...

You're welcome SkooterG.. Fast n' Easy.
5.JPG