Gerbing Heated Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate the info. I have a Gerbing jacket and have already hard mounted a dual zone heat controller to the '13. (probably should have included that in the op). Are you able to mix heated gear? I am looking at the G3's because they seem to have less bulk (no local dealers, so this will be bought online) and I already have factory grip warmers which are great, but I would like to keep the top of my hands warm too.

Greg
I think that the coax connectors are standardized at least for some brands. I have much the opposite as you, a Firstgear/Warmnsafe jacket liner and dual controller, and Gerbings gloves and insoles. It all mates up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, I go back and forth on glove liners. My winter gloves are Tour Master Winter Elites which are somewhat bulky but well broken in and holding up great. I think that a liner underneath them might be just a bit too bulky for me.

I find my Yamaha Racing snowmobile gloves work great, even at 18 degrees. Slightly bulky but work great. I know they're good at 10 below 0 on my sled, and they're not electric but are designed for those temps.

Bought the Gerbing's gear (jacket and gloves) switches, hardwired, etc.

Then stored it all for a year and a half while (whilst) in Australia (Oz).

Upon return in May 2012, I hear Gerbings is gone, gear lights on fire, etc.

I check website it's all down "check back later" is all I got.

Now, everyone is talking like nothing happened?

What's going on?

I still have the old (flammable?) gear...and I noticed their NEW stuff is about twice what I paid in 2009/10.

Finally, I will say that when I did have a CS/order question they were GREAT over the phone for support.

Anyone want to shed some light (no pun intended) on the Gerbing's situation?

Oh, their stuff works VERY well...haven't combusted yet!

Anybody have a set, and what do you think of 'em?
I initially purchased the G3's but returned them in favour of the T5. Your mileage may vary (and others have posted disagreement) but I found the G3 glove to be too bulky if only because of the lack of articulation. The T5 glove has more "give" in it and I felt I had a better feel for the bars when wearing them. That said, they are still *much* bulkier than my regular riding gloves and I certainly don't have the same confidence wearing them as I do with my usual Bionic Gloves (best I've ever worn) but even with the heated grips, my hands got cold wearing them.

I'd recommend buying the G3 or T5 from a dealer that allows you an easy return if they aren't what you expect.

The modern gear and controllers are interchangeable between manufacturers (Gerbings and Warm 'n Safe). They both use a coaxial connection between the power pigtail and the controller, and the controller and the heated gear.

First Gear is made by Warm 'n Safe, so both have a lifetime warranty (from Warm 'n Safe) on the electrical function of the heated clothing. The warranty does not apply to the controller(s) or pigtail wires, but the clothing is the really expensive stuff and more apt to break continuity during use due to flexing.

I do not know what Gerbings' (or Gordon's) warranty is, but it is worth determining since you can use either brand's clothing with the controllers you already have.

I have had very good luck with my First Gear gloves and jacket liners (2 sets, his and hers) which have had pretty extensive use over the past few years. The First Gear riders gloves are very thin and flexible, and only have wires on the backs of your hands (not in the palms).

I much prefer them to other, more insulated gloves I own.

Don, I go back and forth on glove liners. My winter gloves are Tour Master Winter Elites which are somewhat bulky but well broken in and holding up great. I think that a liner underneath them might be just a bit too bulky for me.
I wear a much thinner glove with greater tactility when using liners. A liner in a heated glove is kaput idea...

The modern gear and controllers are interchangeable between manufacturers (Gerbings and Warm 'n Safe). They both use a coaxial connection between the power pigtail and the controller, and the controller and the heated gear.
First Gear is made by Warm 'n Safe, so both have a lifetime warranty (from Warm 'n Safe) on the electrical function of the heated clothing. The warranty does not apply to the controller(s) or pigtail wires, but the clothing is the really expensive stuff and more apt to break continuity during use due to flexing.

I do not know what Gerbings' (or Gordon's) warranty is, but it is worth determining since you can use either brand's clothing with the controllers you already have.

I have had very good luck with my First Gear gloves and jacket liners (2 sets, his and hers) which have had pretty extensive use over the past few years. The First Gear riders gloves are very thin and flexible, and only have wires on the backs of your hands (not in the palms).

Yup.

Good to know that they are interchangeable, that opens up a few more options.

I wear a much thinner glove with greater tactility when using liners. A liner in a heated glove is kaput idea...

Yup.
Heated liners with thinner gloves is an interesting option as well, thanks Don!

A little money saving tip for anyone about to take the Gerbing plunge:

there's a Black Friday coupon code that gets you 25% off from Nov 28 to Dec 1

THANKFUL

If you really want the Gerbings for some reason, that is a nice deal. But be aware that they are normally priced more than 25% higher than the other gloves. Their T5's go for $190 on the street and so 25% off makes them $142.50. The G3's go for $170 so they would be $127.50

The First Gear (Warm 'n Safe) gloves that I recommended earlier are available at RevZilla for $116.95 right now.

MSRP on them is $130, and you can find them for a lot less if you shop (google) around

Choices, choices...

Because I was curious, I did some research (nearly broke a sweat) on the Gerbings Warranty and the W'nS warranty. Here are their own raw statements for you to consider:

First Gerbings:

When you purchase a Gerbing product within the United States, the heating elements (Microwire TM) are warrantied for life. Electrical plugs, Connectors, and any solder joints, as well as all materials and craftsmanship are covered by a one year warranty from date of purchase. Batteries and Chargers have a 90 day warranty from date of purchase. Normal wear and tear, and or customer negligence is not covered under the Gerbing LLC warranty.

All warranties are non-transferable and apply solely to the original purchaser. Proof of purchase must be provided if any warranty claim is to be honored. Shipping costs for all warranty claims are the responsibility of the customer. Gerbing products are designed to be powered and controlled by using only Gerbing accessories and controllers. Using other manufacturers’ accessories and controllers with your Gerbing product will void the warranty. Please call (800) 646-5916 for a Return Authorization. Any products shipped into us without a Return Authorization might result in delays or potential loss of that returned item.

Gerbing LLC will also extend the same lifetime warranty to the heating elements in Gerbing Heated Clothing Inc (GHCI) products, even though they are entirely different companies. GHCI ceased to exist in 2012. Gerbing LLC will also continue to repair any of their products or GHCI products that are out of warranty for a fee. We will not charge any premium to our customers for the repair of their garment; your cost is simply our cost. No mark up. No profit. We will continue to value customer feedback and serve our customers to the best of our abilities. Without you and customers like you we would not be able to build such a great brand, and for that we thank you. Our goal at Gerbing will continue to be producing the best wearable technology while offering unmatched customer service.
Seems reasonable enough... But why not cover the solder joints? It's not like that was my fault when it cracked, right? I didn't solder that thing together.

Also note that they will void the warranty if you fess up and tell them you have been powering them with someone else's controller. That's pretty ticky tacky, IMO.

Now the Warm 'n Safe (or their products also sold as First Gear):

Warranty, Return and Exchange InformationRETURNS AND EXCHANGES can be made up to 45 days.

WARRANTY!! ALL OUR HEATED CLOTHING INCLUDING GLOVES, GLOVE LINERS AND SOCKS are warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of One year. Defects in the wires are guaranteed for the life of the garmen, but not breakage due to use. General wear and tear, damage by abuse or accidents are not covered. Is this clear enough for those that seem to be confused that others have a better warrantee that we do?

Warranty Information Heat-trollers:
If a VERSION XTREME or a Remote Heat-troller (ALL OTHER VERSIONS ARE WAY OUT OF WARRANTEE) fails due to faulty parts or manufacturing within 3 YEARS of your purchase we WILL replace or fix it.

All warranties will be voided IF the following guidelines are not followed:

* Do not cut off the plugs, Ring connectors or CUT ANYTHING!
* Only use the battery harness, cigarette plug adaptor, or BMW power port adaptor provided to power your Heat-troller! Attempting to use a home-made BMW or cigarette plug adaptor or Fuse Blocks will void the warranty.
* The Heat-troller should be installed in accordance with the enclosed instructions. We are not responsible for units damaged by incorrect installation, improper use or shorts in the clothing made by others.

I'm a little troubled by the phrase "but not breakage due to use" but empirical evidence is that they will replace the product if it has not been thrashed. I think these are some down to earth folks who do not particularly know their way around a sentence or a paragraph, and they appear to not have asked for any assistance from someone who does. . That doesn't make me doubt their sincerity in standing behind what they make in the least, but it does appear they ain't no rocket surgeons.

One last little bit to digest before you decide that buying an "American Made" product is more ethical or desirable: :

https://www.warmnsafe.com/we-invent-they-copy-why/

Thanks Fred, for all the info, it is greatly appreciated!

Once I found out that you can mix and match, I started my research into warm and safe. I am sold on the gloves your recommending and am waiting till Friday to see if they get any cheaper. I have $15 in Revzilla bucks and if they go on sale Friday, I should be able to get them for under a hundred.

Thanks everybody, I truly appreciate the input.

Greg

Since it's not Friday yet, I'll add my two cents: I have the Gerbing gloves and vest, with the dual controller. Love them. This is my third winter using them, and in the past I have ridden comfortably in sud-30s temps. One of my riding buddies uses another brand, and he has commented that his hands are cold at times when mine were plenty warm and toasty. I don't think I've ever had to turn the controller to max.

I have a Gerbing jacket liner, gloves, and dual controller. Got me to work last year in sub-10 deg temps. This year, the week of thanksgiving, we had a 19 deg morning, so I geared up. Got to work and the zipper mechanism on the liner broke apart. The liner is about two years old. Emailed Gerbing and got several responses, including one from Michael Mawby (president?). Bottom line - $30 to replace the zipper, 10-15 day turn around. Seemed like a fair deal.

HOW old was the liner?

Not for nothing...i have been running a gerbing jacket liner for years and have been quite pleased. over the years i have been on the gerbing site to buy and see what is new, i have just currently looked at their new site under the sons name or whatever....that is a pretty sad excuse for a website especially coming from what it was and what people are expecting from one of the leading companies of heated gear. Maybe it is just me or maybe i looked at a wrong site but i would not buy anything from them with a site that is as crummy as that, they had a good site before the father almost lost his life (glad he didn't of course) but geez wizz they are not new at this or new to the industry, a website should no be released like that.

again i do like my product and have but with that little of effort, kind leaves a question if they are going to put that little effort to customer service...will be interesting to see..

I have a Gerbing jacket liner, gloves, and dual controller. Got me to work last year in sub-10 deg temps. This year, the week of thanksgiving, we had a 19 deg morning, so I geared up. Got to work and the zipper mechanism on the liner broke apart. The liner is about two years old. Emailed Gerbing and got several responses, including one from Michael Mawby (president?). Bottom line - $30 to replace the zipper, 10-15 day turn around. Seemed like a fair deal.
From what I have heard, Gerbing appear to be honoring the old equipment on the normal terms. This is good service.