Givi box airborne at 80mph!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denalosfjr

Reaction score
Well i lost the Givi V46 box off the back of the bike as i made a pass of a truck. I hit a good bump in the road and it was gone and bouncing!. The night before i had stuck a little bit off electricial tape on the base plate to try and stiffin up the connection for the light. The light had been flickering and yes i should have redone the connection .

FYI dont put any tape into the latch baddd idea!! the box was close to empty at the time except for my sunglasses and my Iphone.

Iphone survived because it was in a Otter box AND in a Pelican case !!

my Givi box still works but looks like a elephant played soccer with it now . :blink:

I was thinking this may be one of the reasons it's recommended not to use the top case over 80 MPH. Not just due to the bike's stability but also the aero forces being placed on the case could cause failure. Perhaps there are some engineers on here that could weigh in.

Well that sucks.... glad your melon headed kitty wasn't in there....

I'll bet the trucker got a good chuckle out of it.... :(

Looks like it held up pretty well considering.....

Givi Box on Givi bracket... Might be worthwhile to give GIVI customer service a chance to step up to the plate. Send them the photo's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i might give Givi a call about it. I at the least want to askfor/order a new light connection kit from the base to the box.

The little springs in there are wore out and the contacts in the base have holes wore into them.

13k miles and mostly big road trips on the bike and those contacts are toast :angry:

Thinking a little tape/bandaid would fix it was a bad idea.

This is the first time ive done any damage to any of my bikes in a longgg time i do consider myself lucky.

Oh and the trucker stopped and handed me my box back with the old saying "bummer dude" !

Definitely contact Givi if it is still under warranty. Mine fell off twice in June and after a few phone calls and a few weeks waiting they did replace it. The first time it left the bike I accelerated a little to quick from a stop sign :rolleyes: . Then 2 weeks later while participating in the MN 2010 Rally I hit a railroad track about 35 mph and it went flying. The good thing about the box it never popped open and my laptop still works :yahoo:

Well i lost the Givi V46 box off the back of the bike as i made a pass of a truck. I hit a good bump in the road and it was gone and bouncing!. The night before i had stuck a little bit off electricial tape on the base plate to try and stiffin up the connection for the light. The light had been flickering and yes i should have redone the connection . FYI dont put any tape into the latch baddd idea!! the box was close to empty at the time except for my sunglasses and my Iphone.

Iphone survived because it was in a Otter box AND in a Pelican case !!

my Givi box still works but looks like a elephant played soccer with it now . :blink:
Most interested in the highlighted section above. Got pictures of your "modification"?

I was thinking this may be one of the reasons it's recommended not to use the top case over 80 MPH. Not just due to the bike's stability but also the aero forces being placed on the case could cause failure. Perhaps there are some engineers on here that could weigh in.
My Givi top box and rack stayed on just fine with no extra mounts on US HWY 50 in Nevada at 146mph. I have witnesses and GPS top speed stamp on my Garmin to prove it. That top box will stay on fine if you make sure it latches properly.

Have used my Givi E 460 with the givi rack for 8 years now and have seen near top speed with no problems and i have probably overloaded it at times. Sh** happens. sorry.

i have no pictures of the tape i put on the latch area i removed the tape at the crash site said a choice word or two and finished my 400 mile ride.

The LED lights still work after bouncing down the road woohoo!

My buddy following me says he got the box flying off on video from his bike camera .Hes going to put it on YouTube ...... :blink:

Oh well!!

If the tape was applied in the latching area, it would make sense that it could have prevented the latch from closing fully. Since that is the only thing that holds the bag to the rack, I guess you shouldn't do that.

I have put additional a couple of added rubber supports in the areas to either side of the latch to help keep it from rattling when unloaded, but you can still hear the latch snap in with a solid click when you put the trunk on the mount.

100_1507.jpg

There really isn't much history of GIVI bags flying off, and considering the number of units in use on all the various makes of motorcycles, one has to conclude it was your tape that "did you in" and not a faulty latch.

Lost mine a couple weeks ago going around a curve in my neighborhood at about 25 mph over a series of potholes that I couldn't avoid. It bounced and slid across the steet, up into a yard. A guy out in his driveway saw it and thought that was a pretty tough box since it never came open and still works just fine.

I'm pretty sure it was attached and latched all the way. I know one of the rubber bumpers was missing, maybe that caused it to be bouncing around a little bit in the mount so that may have contributed. I have fixed that problem since then by installing short, heavy springs in two of the holes where those rubber bumpers were.

https://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/Da...I/GIVI001-1.jpg

https://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/Da...IVI/GIVI002.jpg

https://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/Da...IVI/GIVI003.jpg