Givi questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucks fjr

Reaction score
Before I get started, remember I'm new. Am considering a Givi 46 or 55. Do you have to use the "rack" system or is there a sleeker "plate" that can be mounted. I can't tell for sure from the Givi website. Thanks all.

The Givi rack, while not particularly pretty to some, is quite stout.

I strongly reccommend it for the larger cases,

Not sure how often I will use the trunk. It seems the rack requires you to remove the grab bars from the bike, not sure I want to do that. I guess the weight could be an issue, thanks for your help.

Not sure how often I will use the trunk. It seems the rack requires you to remove the grab bars from the bike, not sure I want to do that. I guess the weight could be an issue, thanks for your help.
The stock grab bars are plasic, at least that what they felt like on my 08. The Givi mounts at 2 places with 5 screws/bolts. One bar under the rider seat is where the old grab bars mounts and the over the rear fender. Givi used the same mounting spots as the stock grab bar. Easy install

Willie

Buy the SR 357, a much better mounting option.

The original 3 bolt mounting plate for a H&B top box eventually caused the rear sub frame of the bike to break.

And it broke the rear passenger grab rails of the bike, yep it is plastic, and very thin where it broke.

The top box was never overloaded and I think it was due to the top box “flapping” continually.

My post on the Aussie forum https://www.forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2050&hilit=+sub+frame

Cheers

Givi rack bolts to the bike the same places the stock rack does, and it's steel, not plastic. Has grab rails on it, just like the stock rack it replaces.

An improvement in every way but appearance, and I don't care about that because I always have the top case on. It's where I lock my jacket and pants when I stop somewhere. And it's big enough to carry a goodly amount of groceries after stopping by the store on the way home from work.

Givi has two different racks, for Gen-I and Gen-II, be sure to get the right one.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use either the Givi rack or the plate-only mounting option. I got a rack after discovering that my rear subframe was cracked due to carrying a top case with a mounting plate only.

Buy the SR 357, a much better mounting option.

The original 3 bolt mounting plate for a H&B top box eventually caused the rear sub frame of the bike to break.

And it broke the rear passenger grab rails of the bike, yep it is plastic, and very thin where it broke.

The top box was never overloaded and I think it was due to the top box “flapping” continually.

My post on the Aussie forum https://www.forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2050&hilit=+sub+frame

Cheers

+1 to what he said.

The 40+ liter boxes cry for you to load them with a BUNCH more than Yamaha ever intended. You just won't be able to help yourself. In the end the Givi mount is worth the price. If you really don't use it they sell right away when they come up for sale in the used market.

For the guys that are experiencing cracking of the subframe, and then cracking of the plastic grab rails. Are y'all riding Gen I or Gen II. I have an 07 with the factory top box, and I absolutely abuse it, and have never had an issue. You guys got me worried now though. I regularly carry about a 20-30 lb load in the top box, and have even carried 50 lb car batteries back there on 4 short trips. On top of that, I usually have a gigantic duffle that weighs about 60 lb layed over the rear seat, and I strap it to the grab rails. I usually crank it down pretty tight on the rails as well.

So for those of you that are experiencing cracks, are you Gen I or Gen II? On the topic of the Givi racks, I definitly think the SR357 is the way to go for Gen II. It looks like a very solid design.

Lucas

Materially and structurally speaking, the Gen-I and Gen-II stock racks are pretty much the same. Abuse them and they will fail. They are cosmetically different only, but enough so to make them not interchangeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Materially and structurally speaking, the Gen-I and Gen-II stock racks are pretty much the same. Abuse them and they will fail. They are cosmetically different only, but enough so to make them not interchangeable.
I don't think the sub-frames are the same.

I have the E55 on a Premier Cycle Accessory mount (adjustable positions). Works great, I've got no complaints.

I had a V46 topbox on my VStrom, the usable size difference between the V46 and the E55 is noticeable the moment you want to lock away 2 helmets.

Here is the link for the PCA rack/mount.

I suspect the stock grab bars are the same construction as the mirrors, some type of epoxy-coated aluminum. (Think Bondo over cast aluminum.)

IMO the Premier Cycle mounts work fine for v46 boxes that don't get loaded down. But if you ever follow a fully-loaded v46, or e52-e55 sitting on anything other than a real Givi mount, you'll move over so it doesn't come crashing down in front of you. There is so much flex motion taking place that it's mesmerizing anscaryey as hell!

As others have said, run the real Givi mount if you plan on loading a big box.

There is a difference between the Gen 1 and 2's sub frame. My bike is an 06 that had it's subframe and grab rails broken.

I've heard of a few gen2's that have the yamaha top box not only break the sub frames, but also their mounting plates and the top boxes.

My Hepco and Becker top box was very flimsy and flexed all the time. I take it that it was metal fatigue that caused it, certainly not the weight I had in it.

It's easy to check, just remove the passengers seat and have a good look with a flash light.

Go for the SR357 bracket if it's a gen 2 bike.

I'm using a Givi52. Using the Givi mount. I've LOADED it with stuff. I have over 100 000 trouble free KMs. Since I mounted it on the bike I have rarely travelled without it. I have checked my subframe on numerous ocassions just to be caeful and haven't found any cracks as of yet. Some of the goat paths I've followed Steve down would be hard on a KLR. Do the right thing.

Rob