GMRS Under the Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shagomatic

Reaction score
I have recently installed a Starcom1 on my 2008 FJR and finally adjusted it to my liking (not an easy as I first suspected..) Anyway, I am adding a Midland GMRS radio to it for bike to bike communications. It fits under the seat quite nicely but I am concerned about that location's affect on the range. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks,

Shagomatic

Install an external antenna - the 'rubber ducky' on the unit stinks, even when it isn't in close proximity to the frame and under your butt.

I have recently installed a Starcom1 on my 2008 FJR and finally adjusted it to my liking (not an easy as I first suspected..) Anyway, I am adding a Midland GMRS radio to it for bike to bike communications. It fits under the seat quite nicely but I am concerned about that location's affect on the range. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks,

Shagomatic

getting ready to attempt same with Autocom

depending on the GMRS radio, AirRider in Ooltewah manufactures and sells a lot of bike comm equipment and they carry several remote antenna options. some hidden some visible...

Note that radio operates not all that much differently than visible light in the sense that 'hidden' antennas will be less efficient/effective that something exposed, with a clear view of the surroundings - so (in general) larger is better and higher is better.

I got a slick remote flat blade antenna that I attached with double sided tape inside the bodywork between the pillion seat and the side case. Ping Fairlaner for make/model as I got mine from him.

Latest posts