Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone asked ANY motorcycle manufacturer if putting a ridgid car tire on the back of a motorcycle is a good idea and stable for the bike??
If car tires were good for motorcycles why don't the manufacturers put them on?? They'd get much better mileage and could use that as a sales promotion. They design these bikes, they know what handles best.

If car tires handled good they would use them.

Showing a guy leaned over on a bike with a car tire doesn't mean it's stable, it only means he leaned over.

I've been riding for decades maybe longer than some of the "experts" here, I was trying to do the guy that did this a favor by pointing it out that it was a bad idea to put a car tire on the back of a bike. I was met with name calling by Scootertrash a Admin of all people.

I'm done and out of this ridiculous thread!
Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Might break your nose
You da man, Spook. Interesting comment about how SoCal's been riding for decades. Is there anybody here that HASN'T BEEN RIDING FOR DECADES? Good grief, most of us are older than dirt. I got my first bike in '67. Today I was cranking along on my favorite section of curvy roads (there are a couple around here). I was noticing how sweet my FJR transitions from left to right to left to right. I love the way it handles. As a matter of fact, I love the way it does everything. I remember so many bikes I had in the past, and how i was always wishing that they could do this or didn't do that. No such issues with the FJR.

Gary

darksider #44

--------------------22k on the Exalto and still running sweet.

The conspiracy theorists are going to be with us until the end of time..

They still believe the Earth is flat, the purported moon landing was in New Mexico or Arizona, JFK was actually killed by a band of Marauding Monkeys, Justin Bieber is an Elvis re-incarnate, and single stage paint is the only real paint job..

Let 'em lead their safe, sheltered lives with their parents, Us reckless daredevils will continue to push the envelope.

Oreo, my black & white tom cat (named by an at-the-time 6 year old) is now 16 years old and is a shadow of his former self. He used to "rule the roost" in our neighborhood...dogs would flee at the sight of him. He nearly got his ass kicked by a coyote that tried to eat him about 5 years ago, but the coyote lost an eye, an ear and most of its nose in the battle! TAKE THAT WILE E.!!!
At his peak, he was about 2 ounces shy of 32 pounds, without an ounce of fat!! He was THE ghetto cat 'round these parts, but age is taking its toll and we don't expect him to be around much longer. Gonna miss that asshole cat when the time comes.
cry.gif
They do get to be family.

Has anyone asked ANY motorcycle manufacturer if putting a ridgid car tire on the back of a motorcycle is a good idea and stable for the bike??
If car tires were good for motorcycles why don't the manufacturers put them on?? They'd get much better mileage and could use that as a sales promotion. They design these bikes, they know what handles best.

If car tires handled good they would use them.

Showing a guy leaned over on a bike with a car tire doesn't mean it's stable, it only means he leaned over.

I've been riding for decades maybe longer than some of the "experts" here, I was trying to do the guy that did this a favor by pointing it out that it was a bad idea to put a car tire on the back of a bike. I was met with name calling by Scootertrash a Admin of all people.

I'm done and out of this ridiculous thread!
Don't let the door hit you in the ass, Might break your nose
You da man, Spook. Interesting comment about how SoCal's been riding for decades. Is there anybody here that HASN'T BEEN RIDING FOR DECADES? Good grief, most of us are older than dirt. I got my first bike in '67. Today I was cranking along on my favorite section of curvy roads (there are a couple around here). I was noticing how sweet my FJR transitions from left to right to left to right. I love the way it handles. As a matter of fact, I love the way it does everything. I remember so many bikes I had in the past, and how i was always wishing that they could do this or didn't do that. No such issues with the FJR.

Gary

darksider #44

--------------------22k on the Exalto and still running sweet.
First bike a 100 CC two stroke Yamaha dirt bike in 66 after that a 350 big bear and many other brand and types. Most flexi flyers until I got my FJ-1200 which handled great but not as good as the FJR. Yup mos of us are old

I don't run a car tire on my bike because it just really isn't for me. However, I rode Skooter's, and it was just fine. Nothing dangerous or scary...Took a few minutes to get used to the increased input to get the bike into its initial lean, but I bet after a while, even that sensation would go away. If I was gonna make some kind of run where a car tire would get me home without having to change them on the road, you can bet your ass I'd put one one.

Hell, if the most dangerous thing I ever did in my life was ride a motorcycle with a car tire on the back, my mom would be thrilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't run a car tire on my bike because it just really isn't for me. However, I rode Skooter's, and it was just fine. Nothing dangerous or scary...Took a few minutes to get used to the increased input to get the bike into its initial lean, but I bet after a while, even that sensation would go away. If I was gonna make some kind of run where a car tire would get me home without having to change them on the road, you can bet your ass I'd put one one.

Hell, if the most dangerous thing I ever did in my life was ride a motorcycle with a car tire on the back, my mom would be thrilled.
I agree...

wire_zps69cb0979.png

I was cornerworking this weekend watching some of the beginners poke around the track. I was thinking it might be fun to get out there and pass some folks with full bags and a CT on the back. You know, show them "Your bike WILL go faster round those turns!" kind of thing.
biggrin.png

I was cornerworking this weekend watching some of the beginners poke around the track. I was thinking it might be fun to get out there and pass some folks with full bags and a CT on the back. You know, show them "Your bike WILL go faster round those turns!" kind of thing.
biggrin.png
Post #3060

Just put the CT back on this past weekend. Since I do most of my riding with it on, I thought it would be good to have on for the Lee Parks course that I have coming up in a couple wks.

Garydarksider #44

By the way, I've got 22k on my Exalto, and am planning a trip out to the OTHER west coast in about a month. It'll be interesting to see how well it holds up.
Let us know..... 25k on mine and counting. Still looking good.
just under 20k miles...80% interstate with avcc (cruise) set

I crudely measure 8.5/32 out of 10.5/32 tread depth

edit: found my Roadgear pressure/depth gauge and measure about 6/32 left

8735000173_029860535d_n.jpg
8736113678_efe0f977fa_n.jpg

I'll replace mine when there's air showing through the tread.....same philosophy I've used for years with moto-tires.

Should be good for another 40k miles 'til then. Just over 30k now. Expecting to replace sometime around 2018.

I learnt it from SkooterG!
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

when do you Darksiders plan to replace your CT
as I understand it, wear bars are at 1/16" or 2/32"...right ?

I guess I'll replace at 3/32" or sooner
Why? If you're not in the wet weather zone/time, run it down to at least the wear bars, if not farther. You're only getting more rubber on the road when it gets lower. I usually change them at the wear bars or a little past. I used the CT to save money on tires, no point in throwing good rubber away.

I tried the Darkside on the Busa for the last few months. No handling issues, once you get used to the way the car tire rides and corners. Heck, folks I ride with said it didn't slow me down at all. But, it was just way too much unsprung weight for the lighter bike. Pulled it off last week and put on a proper moto tire again. The car car will be going on the FJR as soon as the brand new PR2 that came on it is burned off.

IMG_20121016_203225.jpg

IMG_20130203_111330.jpg

Why? If you're not in the wet weather zone/time, run it down to at least the wear bars, if not farther. You're only getting more rubber on the road when it gets lower. I usually change them at the wear bars or a little past. I used the CT to save money on tires, no point in throwing good rubber away.
You remember Mike lives in Louisiana, right? Down here, we don't get that one big storm every couple of years..... It rains ALL THE TIME!!!!!! Winter is wet, Spring is wet and violent, Summer is wet in the afternoons, and Fall is usually pretty calm when it's wet.

So I've been running a Potenza Grid race compound car tire for 70000 kms (42000miles) . Right down to the wear bars. The other day I put on a Battlax 023 front and rear. WOW! lol Do I ever feel a difference. I didn't notice before but the ol' FJR actually feels nimble.

I now own a second rim and will be installing another car tire on that rim. The best of both worlds.

Rob

I'll be heading up to run the Dragon in about three weeks. Already found a nice little hotel for 50 bucks a night, tax included. Secluded little place just outside Robinsville. Gonna give the Exalto a good work out. FWIW, I prefer to ride 365 D.P.Y. with the CT. I'm used to it, the little bit of extra push it may take on the bars is of no issue to me. Let's see... I have to exert maybe 8.6 ounces on the bar to initiate a turn... instead of perhaps 1.2 with the MT. That's about half the weight of a good pancake. Hmmmph. That's only a problem when I eat too many of them
smile.png

Just ride.