• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

>>> GP Suspension 10th Annual FJR Forum Group Buy <<<

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I registered for fork springs and a Penske shock rebuild yesterday. Looking forward to the firmer front end. The shock has never leaked or seems in any way impaired, but I understand periodic maintenance is needed, and I've put this off several years.

Oh yeah, I need the price break...I just officially retired today and registered for Social Security. I'm officially a geezer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I registered for fork springs and a Penske shock rebuild yesterday. Looking forward to the firmer front end. The shock has never leaked or seems in any way impaired, but I understand periodic maintenance is needed, and I've put this off several years.
Oh yeah, I need the price break...I just officially retired today and registered for Social Security. I'm officially a geezer.
Oh, here we go with the "fixed income" bit, hell Tom, you are just a kid yet!

Sez you. But I should be able to find a little time to ride, doncha think?

Sez you. But I should be able to find a little time to ride, doncha think?
Yes sir Tom, go for it. Congrats!

My Ohlins arrived last evening. Once again KFG under promised and over delivered.

Has anybody ordered a Penske shock on the most recent group buy and received it yet?

My card was billed on Nov. 12 and I haven't yet received the shock.

I have been told a couple of times by KFG that it is scheduled to ship "early the next week," the first time was on November 24.

Is it normal to take this long? Getting a bit concerned.

I've called and asked them multiple times and still nothing.

About 2 weeks ago, I called penske and was told that they had no order for me and that I should check with kfg.

I called them and after 4 or 5 days, and the main phone person explaining that she had no idea without talking to someone other unnamed person, she didn't know.

After 2 days of this, I was told that it would ship this week.

Still nothing.

They get high praise on this forum which was the main reason I went with them. But the whole experience thus far has been sloppy and unprofessional to say the least.

I got my serviced shocks and new fork springs over a week ago. Unfortunately I left the top mounting bushing in when I sent the shock and one of those did not come back. KFGracing worked with Penske to cut a new one at no charge to me, It turns out there are two different versions of the bushing, and mine was the older smaller 0.50 inch version. Called Penske in Reading PA directly, and they cut and sent the new part overnight. I got everything back together yesterday, and the bike is back to its smooth jet ride again.

Here are the two types of bushings.

668CBF0C-32A6-4BAB-BD68-92DDD55145E5_2.jpg

I received two email reply's today. The first apologizing for the delay, and that they would have an answer for me by the end of the day. Later I got another one stating that "PENSKE" said it would ship tomorrow, and they will forward the tracking info to me.

We shall see.

It wouldn't bother me if I had been told 4 - 6 weeks from the beginning, then that would have been my expectation. However, what I read was allow 14 days, and then on two separate occasions was told "early next week." We are at 30 plus days now.

About 2 weeks ago, I called penske and was told that they had no order for me and that I should check with kfg.
That they had no order for you two weeks ago is very concerning. The group buy closed nearly 5 weeks ago tomorrow!

FWIW, KFGracing in Oregon gets its parts and components from Penske in Reading, PA. This can result in some delays for things to move back and forth across the country. Eastern members might be better served using the more local Traxxion Dynamics which is pretty comparable in cost. This is no longer the GP Suspension that was involved with the forum for a decade before being bought out in 2012. That said, they know suspensions and do competent work.

KFG Racing actually undercut the price of the forum buy with a Black Friday sale only a couple weeks after the group buy closed. I don't want to sound like sour grapes here, but waiting another week could have saved me 10-15%. The forum buy should be a special event you could trust to be the deal of the year like it used to be, and this time, it wasn't.

What are the chances you are going to participate in a 2016 group buy, knowing, that on Black Friday you will be burned? I thought so. Why do we continue to call this the GP Suspension Group Buy?

I had not heard about this Black Friday thing. Was that advertised here? I Can say that I would not encourage anybody to participate in the GP Group Buy in the future, based on how it has gone for me as well as the Black Friday situation.

I purchased Traxxion AK-20s through a local shop and had them do the install, but the price for Penske was better here with this group buy than what I could get from Traxxion.

Although I have limited miles with the AK-20's due to winter showing up, I am very happy with them.

FWIW, KFGracing in Oregon gets its parts and components from Penske in Reading, PA. This can result in some delays for things to move back and forth across the country. Eastern members might be better served using the more local Traxxion Dynamics which is pretty comparable in cost. This is no longer the GP Suspension that was involved with the forum for a decade before being bought out in 2012. That said, they know suspensions and do competent work.
KFG Racing actually undercut the price of the forum buy with a Black Friday sale only a couple weeks after the group buy closed. I don't want to sound like sour grapes here, but waiting another week could have saved me 10-15%. The forum buy should be a special event you could trust to be the deal of the year like it used to be, and this time, it wasn't.

What are the chances you are going to participate in a 2016 group buy, knowing, that on Black Friday you will be burned? I thought so. Why do we continue to call this the GP Suspension Group Buy?
I spoke to penske several times about this and they DROP SHIP the shocks directly ... They do not send anything to KFG.

When I asked them 2.5 weeks ago about my order, they were clear that they did not have any order for me. In fact, they stated that they have NO OPEN orders for KFG racing or GP suspension ...

When I grew tired of the runaround, I called them (Penske) again today and was told that they do indeed have an order in process with my name on it .. This prompted me to ask "When was this order placed".

The person I spoke to at Penske checked his system and clearly said that my order was placed on 12/14. He than said that it would take about 1.5 to 2 weeks to complete ...

Earlier in the day I had demanded that someone in authority at KFG call me asap. I received a call from the owner (mid day) and was told that she would "look into" what the delay was ...

Now, I definitely don't want to bash and will only present facts but, this while things seems wrong to me. When I asked others at KFG who could help me I had been told in the past that the owner handles all paperwork and is the only person who does ordering etc etc etc ...

Either way, she did call me and was very apologetic and accommodating and gauranteed that she would do whatever she could to get my order moved up in priority.

All of that is great and it is appreciated ...

In the end, taking money from people and holding it (IN YOUR ACCOUNT) while 30 days goes by and then the order is finally placed with PENSKE seems wrong to me.

I will bet anything that ZERO Penske orders were placed until 12/14 for any forum members and if that is the case, the delay should be explained to everyone ...

Has anyone who ordered a Penske shock from this group buy received it yet ? I would bet no ...

I had not heard about this Black Friday thing. Was that advertised here? I Can say that I would not encourage anybody to participate in the GP Group Buy in the future, based on how it has gone for me as well as the Black Friday situation.I purchased Traxxion AK-20s through a local shop and had them do the install, but the price for Penske was better here with this group buy than what I could get from Traxxion.

Although I have limited miles with the AK-20's due to winter showing up, I am very happy with them.

Read it and weep: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165955-kfg-racing-gp-suspension/

I had not heard about this Black Friday thing. Was that advertised here? I Can say that I would not encourage anybody to participate in the GP Group Buy in the future, based on how it has gone for me as well as the Black Friday situation.I purchased Traxxion AK-20s through a local shop and had them do the install, but the price for Penske was better here with this group buy than what I could get from Traxxion.

Read it and weep: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165955-kfg-racing-gp-suspension/
Disappointing to say the least. They were busy preparing for their Black Friday sale, while telling me on 11/24 that my shock would be shipping early the following week. I'm guessing they hadn't even ordered it at that point. Perhaps they were waiting to combine orders from the group buy and black Friday in an attempt to get themselves a better price from Penske.

Status
Not open for further replies.