GPS Bin-o Facts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=10pt] Hi all, I use a Tom Tom and use a free program to inport Google maps.[/SIZE]

From their web site;

[SIZE=10pt] Here it is[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] Tyre[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]: Trace Your Route Everywhere.[/SIZE]

Tyre is a nice program that makes Google Maps and your TomTom cooperate.[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Tyre is freeware!

You may use it and copy it, as long as you do not change anything in the software.

Link to their web site.

This program also will work with Google Earth.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

[SIZE=10pt] Hi all, I use a Tom Tom and use a free program to inport Google maps.[/SIZE]
From their web site;

[SIZE=10pt] Here it is[/SIZE][SIZE=14pt] Tyre[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]: Trace Your Route Everywhere.[/SIZE]

Tyre is a nice program that makes Google Maps and your TomTom cooperate.[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Tyre is freeware!

You may use it and copy it, as long as you do not change anything in the software.

Link to their web site.

This program also will work with Google Earth.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
========

Thanks for the info / link......... it is added to the first post :D

B......................

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that I am confused.
I don't understand what the intent of this is. I read the original message and I DID gradumate from 2nd grade, so help u out a bit with what you intend to accomplish.

I'm fairly new to the world of Garmin, but I think I "get it" pretty well.

What I don't "get" is where we are going here...

===========

Very valid question!!!............. and I gradiateeed meself.... I gets me a deeploma from the sickth grade :dribble: I'm soooooo proud I gots me a real job now with

my name on my shirt and all that......

I wanted to build a knowledge base of current GPS devices to help out the stupid Bastar .... I mean the technically challenged .... SUCH AS myself!!..... So as new or old forum members only can get FAQ's, answered immediately.

Also... there is great difficulty in using Google maps to GPS device as an active route map and I know Map Source (Map Sucks) is very frustrating also...... SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO I would like confirmed instructions on how to load favorite maps to popular GPS's, so we all can share. and this will coincide with another post building a catalog of best ride routes in all the states.

Hopefully this has cleared (as mud) this up for you......

And if you would like to give me ideas on how this can be accomplished......

Brian,

I like your idea for a GPS area on the Forum. Like many, I struggled with Garmin manuals, ZumoForums, and other resources to learn how to use my Zumo 550. After lots of study, I can now make routes fairly quickly and also can use some other software for route creation with subsequent conversion to gpx formats. All of these processes seem to have had their own extensive learning curve. Fortunately, HaulinAshe is a terrific Garmin and MapSource guru here in the SE and he was kind enough to share his time for a very informative learning session at our recent EOM. This type of seminar will likely be welcomed at all of our meets.

I now have about 70 routes in various parts of the country collected as a participant here at this forum and in HSTA where there are quite a few techies. At present, I have routes in the Texas Hill Country, Ozarks, N GA mountains, eastern TN, Deals Gap area, the EOM area in W VA, and a tri state area near the BRP including NC, TN, and VA. I know they are all great routes and it would be super to be able to share them easily.

In addition to having a FAQ, posting, conversion, and equipment specific sections; I think it would be really great if we could identify a hosting site and establish a logical format for posting GPS routes, maps, and route descriptions. It seems there should also be a way to make them geographically specific within states or regions. Having all the bells and whistles could literally require a new website or in substitution, some clever thinking by the administrators. But, wouldn't it be great for all of us to download routes from premier riding destinations that have been tested by our fellow FJR riders? There are a few such sites around that come close to meeting many of these needs. Let's keep exploring the options and posting up sites that come close to meeting some of the goals that have been posted here.

I ask everyone to contribute their map site and gps site contributions to this thread. The great ideas in multiple site are bound to surface.

Good luck on this project.

I'll just add that, while initially I did not like MapSucks software in the least, through continued use, and copious ingestion of strong spirits, I have come to be able to use the damn thing to create and edit half way decent routes. Conversion from other formats almost certainly has hazards equal to or greater than the use of MapSucks to begin with.

So the executive version is: Yes, you can make routes with Mapsource. Just drink more...

I also think that this would be a great addition. So as to not load up the server space what if the format is set then use regional links to existing sites to gain acess to info you want? www.sundaymorningrides.com/

Here are some links that I think are helpful for GPS learning, routing, and mapping:

Hopefully, the links are now corrected!

GPS Mapping & Conversion Software

Conversion program for numerous mapping programs & devices

GPS Babel

GPS mapping & conversion utility program

GPS Utility

Converts Google Maps to gpx files

Google Maps to GPX

GPS Instruction & Information Websites

Motorcycle GPS 101

Motorcycle GPS 101

Comprehensive GPS site covers all subjects and brands

GPS Passion

Contains general and device specific GPS sections

Motorcycle Navigation

Comprehensive site for managment of the Garmin Zumo

Zumo Forums

Garmin Mapsource Basics

MapSource Basics

British BMW GS website with detailed GPS section

British BMW GS Site with GPS section

GPS Routes & Mapping Websites

Comprehensive GPS Routes & Mapping

Sunday Morning Rides

Open Road Journey

Mapping & Touring Websites

Motorcycle roads by state with great maps, descriptions, & rider comments

Motorcycle Roads US

Arkansas & Ozarks maps & information

Cruise the Ozarks

motorcycling roads by state – descriptions & maps

Good Roads

SportBike Roads by state – descriptions & maps

Sport Bike Roads

Scenic Byways throughout the USA

Scenic Byways

FJRONAMISSION,

My browser stops me from opening any of the links from gasportrider and states my Intranet access is turned off. Due to the troubles I've had in the past with viruses, I won't change those settings.

For me, those links are dead.

Sorry guys!

I have repaired the links in my original multi-link post above. They are all now working for me using Firefox.

I have also asked FJRONAMISSION to remove the copied section of my original post as the copy contains the defective links.

Enjoy the referenced websites.

Here are some links that I think are helpful for GPS learning, routing, and mapping:

GPS Babel

GPS Utility

Google Maps to GPX

Motorcycle GPS 101

Motorcycle GPS 101

GPS Passion

Motorcycle Navigation

Zumo Forums

Garmin Mapsource Basics

MapSource Basics

Sunday Morning Rides

Open Road Journey

Motorcycle Roads US

Cruise the Ozarks

Good Roads

Sport Bike Roads

Scenic Byways

=======

Good job Dude!!....... all is right now... all links DO work...... ;)

GPS Babel

GPS Utility

Google Maps to GPX

Motorcycle GPS 101

Motorcycle GPS 101

GPS Passion

Motorcycle Navigation

Zumo Forums

Garmin Mapsource Basics

MapSource Basics

Sunday Morning Rides

Open Road Journey

Motorcycle Roads US

Cruise the Ozarks

Good Roads

Sport Bike Roads

Scenic Byways
====

I updated the front page this morning.... couldn't access mapsource basics without opening an account????

Go see ... tell me whatcha think.....

B.....

====
I updated the front page this morning.... couldn't access mapsource basics without opening an account????

Go see ... tell me whatcha think.....

B.....

Brian,

I can't tell if there is a difference. Firefox remembers every website for which I have a log on name and password and prefills the entries upon opening the website. Your revised link seemed to act as normal.

There is a lot of generalized gps instruction on zumoforums; so I think it is worth logging in for a visit or two whether you have a Zumo or not. However, I do highly recommend the Zumo.

Mike