gps has a mind of its own!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sin_loki

Techno Geek
Reaction score
I have a zumo 550, if you start using the touch screen it starts doing it's own thing, doing random input with any input form me.

If I only use the buttons its fine, if I use the touch screen it starts the. Right now it has a screen protector and I have already recalibrated it twice(the touch screen)

Am I doomed to hope for the best on my trip in taos and wait to I get back home and send it in for repair or is there a trick to get it back to normal?

Try taking a business card; stick the edge between the screen and the bezel and run it around the edge to dislodge any dirst that may have gotten trapped.

That may clear the problem for you.

I have a zumo 550, if you start using the touch screen it starts doing it's own thing, doing random input with any input form me.If I only use the buttons its fine, if I use the touch screen it starts the. Right now it has a screen protector and I have already recalibrated it twice(the touch screen)

Am I doomed to hope for the best on my trip in taos and wait to I get back home and send it in for repair or is there a trick to get it back to normal?
My 2730 does the exact same thing... <_<

Does the screen look like it is "peeling"? The laminate on the touchscreen is letting loose on my 2730, And it acts all batshit anytime i turn it on.

I am going to send it in for repairs eventually.

Good new bad news, it tried the clean the edges with a business card, pulled a lot of crap from it but still acted bat shit crazy.

So I pull off the screen protector and pull off 1/4 OF THE FUKN SCREEN!

IMG_20100915_211449.jpg

On flip side it does not act all spastic now, but the screen layers are gone.....

Well, I got it for free and it lasted many trips, so I can't bitch too much about sending it in. <_< I wonder what will happen if it gets wet? I have my phone based nav but I don't think it would last very long in a motorcycle enverment.

Take the 8 T6 torx screws off the back, remove top cover, front bezel will come apart. There are two ribbon cables attached to the main board with flip locks. Remove the 4 screws from the metal plate, and the digitizer and LCD assembly will come away from the rubber gasket. Clean thoroughly with lens cleaner or isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). Reassemble.

Digitizer may work now, as accumulated dirt may have been giving you button presses (particularly on the bottom buttons). It will buy you some time perhaps, but if still finicky, your digitizer is failing with age. Order a new digitizer from Hong Kong on ebay, but be sure to ask them what size the glass is... the current bunch available are undersize by 2 mm and barely seal around the edges.... OEM size is 79x65 mm.... if none available, buy a digitizer and LCD assembly, as the current ones available are the right size... but ask your vendor to measure it to be sure. 1mm undersize is OK, it will seal but you must place it carefully when you stick it to the LCD.....

When you remove the old digitizer, use a very thin sharp knife to carefully pry the glass (stuck with two way tape) from the LCD. The glass will likely crack, but you get a new one with the digitizer, so don't fret. Clean the rubber gasket around the LCD and stick the new one on, being sure of proper placement...... half hour job. A third hand is nice to get the ribbons plugged back in and locked.

PS - never use screen protectors and don't use sharp objects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the 8 T6 torx screws off the back, remove top cover, front bezel will come apart. There are two ribbon cables attached to the main board with flip locks. Remove the 4 screws from the metal plate, and the digitizer and LCD assembly will come away from the rubber gasket. Clean thoroughly with lens cleaner or isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). Reassemble.
Digitizer may work now, as accumulated dirt may have been giving you button presses (particularly on the bottom buttons). It will buy you some time perhaps, but if still finicky, your digitizer is failing with age. Order a new digitizer from Hong Kong on ebay, but be sure to ask them what size the glass is... the current bunch available are undersize by 2 mm and barely seal around the edges.... OEM size is 79x65 mm.... if none available, buy a digitizer and LCD assembly, as the current ones available are the right size... but ask your vendor to measure it to be sure. 1mm undersize is OK, it will seal but you must place it carefully when you stick it to the LCD.....

When you remove the old digitizer, use a very thin sharp knife to carefully pry the glass (stuck with two way tape) from the LCD. The glass will likely crack, but you get a new one with the digitizer, so don't fret. Clean the rubber gasket around the LCD and stick the new one on, being sure of proper placement...... half hour job. A third hand is nice to get the ribbons plugged back in and locked.

PS - never use screen protectors and don't use sharp objects.
I have already repared this one, (hence how I got it for free) but and if garmin takes it and redoes the entire thing for 150 am cool with that, am not much into non-oem stuff in my gear, been down that road with pc gear.

And screen protectors are great, just as my other stuff that have been saved by them (phone, lcd tablet)

The digitizer in my Zumo 550 crapped out on Thursday last week, just before WCR. I tried business card under the edge and took the Zumo part to clean it, but the digitizer screen is shot. I eventually disconnect the little cable from the screen to the circuit board and the GPS was a least somewhat usable.

Check out eBay for a replacement digitizer - I just ordered a screen and digitizer assembly for $46 shipping included. Sure beats the $180 CAN and having to ship it off to some place in Montreal for 15 weeks or so.

Ian

Latest posts