GPS Mounting Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytripper

Reaction score
Just ordered a Zumo from James. What mounting location works best for you and why? Left or right handle bar or stem mount.

I'm switching to a stem nut after riding a bike that had one (....in fact, the spare of the guy that's about to post).

I thought my RAM mount was decent from one of the handlebar fasteners, but the stem nut was WAY more solid. I think mounting left or right on the bars will make it vibrate more....which I don't worry about with a Touratech cradle, but it's more fatiguing than I knew viewing a vibrating screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal preference. Youse gots to figure out what will work best for you. Other farkle locations may have an impact.

I have mine on a stemstand, and personally, I love it there. I couldn't imagine having a big item like that off to the side on one of the handlebars, but there are those that prefer that location. Here's mine:

GPSinstall013.jpg

Just ordered a Zumo from James. What mounting location works best for you and why? Left or right handle bar or stem mount.
I'd go for a dash mount- it is up higher and you dn't have to remove your eyesight quite as far from the road ahead. If that isn't a choice - I would personally mount it on the Right - I'm right handed so it works better on the left because it is easier for me to push the buttons with my right, but that means I'm removing my hand from the throttle - even with a throttle lock I don't like the idea of looking down - while the throttle is locked and playing with the gps. At least with my right hand on the throttle - and front brake - I'm closer to where they need to be in an emergency.

I try to mount everything as high as possible - radar - cyclometer (I need to move my current location), gps all on the dash.

Mounted mine centered on the stem mount. I only have the Zumo so having it in the middle keeps the cockpit symetrical. Still room for the tank bag,

I am using the ram-mount system because you get most of the parts in the Zumo box.

All I had to do was purchase a ram-mount ball with the 1/4 inch thread, then I just drilled and tapped a thread into the Headstem nut, then used a stainless steel 1/4 inch bar with some loctite.

1.jpg

zumo_03.jpg

zumo_04.jpg

zumo_10.jpg

You can also use the 3/8 thread with ball as well. Part No. RAM-B-236U

Well I got my "newly Overhauled 2610" from the ups lady today. And I might add 1 year warrenty 8v software, all from a dealer in N.Y. for $310. shipped. I know it is 3-4 year old tech, but thats fine by me. Anyway, this is how I mounted mine on a simple 16 gauge bracket I made. I used to longer bolts to hold it to the top of my clutch m/c. Cost...30 minutes including paint time. I like mine to the left side because it is easyer to screw with :dribble: ... Smitty

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

I already had a RAM ball bolted to the unused mirror spot on the left handlebar, so that is where I mounted my Zumo. This is where I would have put it anyway, for these reasons:

Because you use your left hand to opperate the Zumo, it made sence to me to have it as close to my left hand as possilble...so if I need to grab the bar quickly, it is the shortest distance.

Mounting the Zumo in the center below the guages causes you to look down to see the screen, having it on the left bar it is not only closer to you (making it quicker to read for me) but it is more inline with my site plane while riding.

I know you are not suppposed to be fiddling with the thing while riding, but you will to some extent, esp. if you use the phone or music options. Having it closer and higher in your sight plane just makes using it a bit safer.

I don't have any pics yet but will post some later.

KM

Having had a large GPS on the handle bars before, I can't say firmly enough how much better it is to have it on the stem mount. I sprang for the tech mount but the RAM ball idea is nice too.

+ 843 on the stem mount, leave the bar mounts for the little stuff. Not to mention it puts the GPS in line with your normal line of sight.

I'd go for a dash mount- it is up higher and you dn't have to remove your eyesight quite as far from the road ahead. If that isn't a choice - I would personally mount it on the Right - I'm right handed so it works better on the left because it is easier for me to push the buttons with my right, but that means I'm removing my hand from the throttle - even with a throttle lock I don't like the idea of looking down - while the throttle is locked and playing with the gps. At least with my right hand on the throttle - and front brake - I'm closer to where they need to be in an emergency.

I try to mount everything as high as possible - radar - cyclometer (I need to move my current location), gps all on the dash.
+1 on the dash. Its better in line of sight than the stem mount. I have ridden with both and like the dash better.

I'd go for a dash mount-

+1 on the dash. Its better in line of sight than the stem mount. I have ridden with both and like the dash better.

Any pics of the dash mount? Anybody try to set up a 1" ram mount on the plastic dash panel. Section B in this photo?

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/dashpanels.html

Seems like a good high up, eyes on the road location.

I'd go for a dash mount-

Any pics of the dash mount? Anybody try to set up a 1" ram mount on the plastic dash panel. Section B in this photo?

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/dashpanels.html

Seems like a good high up, eyes on the road location.
My empty dash. Just the cradles are shown

dash.jpg

IMGP3062.jpg

Borrowed from turbo dave

Fencer:

Wow, a cockpit. A farkle shelf. I was thinking something lower into the ferring, inside the windshield and outta the rain (and prying eyes). Still, I would be nice to have some room for a small cappuccino maker for those longer rides.........

+ 843 on the stem mount, leave the bar mounts for the little stuff. Not to mention it puts the GPS in line with your normal line of sight.
+1 and make sure you retorque the stem nut. It takes mucho ft lbs or head bearing will rattle. How do I know? Dam that rattle is annoying. Took the dealer with a torque wrench to get the thing tight enough.

+1 and make sure you retorque the stem nut. It takes mucho ft lbs or head bearing will rattle. How do I know? Dam that rattle is annoying. Took the dealer with a torque wrench to get the thing tight enough.
I had to use an impact gun to get the stem nut off. Anyone have the correct torque specs for replacing the nut? (Other than #1 on the gun) :blink: