Gps Rental Info And Questions On 276c

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avigar

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company that rents GPS units? I'd like to try out the Garmin 276c before spending the big bucks. For those of that have this unit, is it fairly simple to use? Does it have a hard drive or does it use flash memory? I've heard that there's a base map preloaded. How much detailed info does it give? Will a separate map download be required for more info? What type mount does it come with? I'd like to be able to alternately use it on my cars and the Feejer. Sorry about all the questions. I just want to make an informed decision before I buy. Thanks.

Just pulled mine out of the box! B) Thanks James! :D

It comes with a hard wire Wiring harness, 120 volt charger, Mounting bracket, USB cable and the basic software which shows major roads and highways.

I also got the Auto Nav Kit which has all the city streets for North America, 128mb memory card, a second Mounting bracket that also has a base that can be just set anywhere or permantly mounted and a cigaret lighter power cord.

I also got the bike wiring harness that hard wires and has a phono-out jack for the sound.

My company is thinking about renting GPS nav units, the problem is that you would have to load the map region you wish to use it in for the 276c or 2610 and also how much deposit is fair to make sure the rented unit is not damaged or misplaced? 50% of what the retail cost of the unit?

What would be a fair price to rent these units for? $70 a week plus shipping and handling?

I would be eaiser to rent a 2620 fully loaded map or a Tom Tom 700 then a unit that needs to be loaded. The other issue is mounting options for your FJR?

Is not like they make a universal GPS mounting solution that will fit every nav system on every bike.

Just think about it. ;)

Rogue,

You are most welcome, I am happy I can help out this forum from time to time. Thanks for the plug :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

I'll rent you mine.... $1,100.00 a week! That way I could get another and still have a proft! :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

No way I'm letting this baby out of my sight! :trinibob: :trinibob: :trinibob: :trinibob: :trinibob: :trinibob: :trinibob: :trinibob: :trinibob: :trinibob:

I hope you don't love your GPS as much as your FJR! :D :dribble: :p
Well right now it goes... looks over shoulder to make sure the boss isn't looking....

1 FJR

2 Wife

3 GPS

:bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

Just pulled mine out of the box! B) Thanks James! :D It comes with a hard wire Wiring harness, 120 volt charger, Mounting bracket, USB cable and the basic software which shows major roads and highways.

I also got the Auto Nav Kit which has all the city streets for North America, 128mb memory card, a second Mounting bracket that also has a base that can be just set anywhere or permantly mounted and a cigaret lighter power cord.

I also got the bike wiring harness that hard wires and has a phono-out jack for the sound.
Rogue,

How are you mounting the 276c on the Feejer? Are you using a stem stand? Does the AutoNav kit come with suction type mount for the car windshield? Let me know how it works out for you. I'm still on the fence with this purchase.

My company is thinking about renting GPS nav units, the problem is that you would have to load the map region you wish to use it in for the 276c or 2610 and also how much deposit is fair to make sure the rented unit is not damaged or misplaced? 50% of what the retail cost of the unit?What would be a fair price to rent these units for? $70 a week plus shipping and handling?

I would be eaiser to rent a 2620 fully loaded map or a Tom Tom 700 then a unit that needs to be loaded. The other issue is mounting options for your FJR?

Is not like they make a universal GPS mounting solution that will fit every nav system on every bike.

Just think about it. ;)

Rogue,

You are most welcome, I am happy I can help out this forum from time to time. Thanks for the plug :D
James,

It would be cool if you can rent a GPS for a one week trial period. Maybe limit the available rental models to the most popular types. Also, as an added incentive to buy, is to credit the rental fee towards the purchase of a new unit after the trial period ends. Most folks would probably consider $70.00/wk a reasonable price if shipping/handling/insurance is included. You can even include a prepaid return label via UPS, FedEx, or whatever shipping method your company prefers.

In regards to the 276c, I thought that in addition to the preloaded base map, you can upload the city streets for the whole North America, not just being limited to a specific region. Is this incorrect? Also, can the stem stand be used to mount the 276c. I was thinking of adding a Powerlet outlet on the Feejer's fairing to power the GPS unit.

Thanks,

Ben

Rogue,
How are you mounting the 276c on the Feejer? Are you using a stem stand? Does the AutoNav kit come with suction type mount for the car windshield? Let me know how it works out for you. I'm still on the fence with this purchase.
I've got my XM on the stem stand, I'm changing my XM from a Ski-Fi to a portable Pioneer XM unit and moving it, The 276c will go on the stem stand.

It doesnt come with a suction cup mount it comes with a marine type mount. The Auto Nav kit comes with a mount that can be sticky taped, screwed on or put on the included sand filled bean-bag type portable mount.

I played with it a little last night and will be using it in my work truck this week, it will be the weekendat least before I get a chance to mount it on the FJR.

Also, as an added incentive to buy, is to credit the rental fee towards the purchase of a new unit after the trial period ends. Most folks would probably consider $70.00/wk a reasonable price if shipping/handling/insurance is included. You can even include a prepaid return label via UPS, FedEx, or whatever shipping method your company prefers.
To start with, it is way to much work to buy a brand new GPS unit to rent out and load maps for customers, the labor cost alone will be more then the $70 that we will be charging.

Second, I sell these on the FJR forum at my cost, so if I credit the $70 rental fee towards the unit, it will be a double negative, I will be losing even more of my employees time that can be better spent selling for profit.

Third, to have prepaid return shipping box etc cost even cost more and the insurance cost to make sure the unit will be ship back in one piece.

If I was to offer a rental option, I don't think I can offer the at cost benifit to the forum.

I am trying to offer a at cost benifit without taking to much time out of my staff, so if I have to buy a new GPS unit, rent it out and credit the rental towards the purchase of a new unit at cost, have my employee process all the paper work would be more then I am willing to offer.

I am waiting for some other vendor to offer their service and products at their cost, I doubt there is anyone else that is willing to work for free.

If you have time, I need you to come over and wash my car and clean my carpets, and since we both own a FJR, maybe you can come over and provide the service free and if I don't like what you did, you can credit me towards the work you have perform so I can pay someone else to redo what you didn't get done.

Just trying to make a joke out of all this. :D :haha:

Thanks for understanding.

I use a Touratech mount to attach my 276C to my FJR.

Clicky

The Touratech allows the unit to be locked to your bike.

On my bike the Touratech is attached with a custom designed stem attached to the 38mm nut:

GPSstand.jpg

GPSbottom.jpg

They work great! :)

The custom designed stem does the same job as a StemStand; but it is sturdier and does not vibrate.)

Piggy