Great Dealer Mechanics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman

Reaction score
My partner just bought a nice Roadstar on Ebay. The guy said it was seized up and had a broken crank. He wanted $3500 for it , he offered $2750 and the guy took it a few days later. The plugs were taken out and pushed down the hill, so much for the crank theory because it was spinning.

The dealer put a new starter/solenoid/stator on it. They put it on the lift and tried to turn it over with the rear tire, yes locked up? Needs a starter relay, started right up with a jumper wire. WTF? they quoted the guy @$3k for repairs.

he offered $2750
WHAT? For a "seized bike with a broken crank"??? That's about 10x too much.

They quoted the guy @$3k for repairs.
Sounds like a "stupid tax" to me.

OK, you've got my service tech rant going. It's all your fault.

ALL dealership service centers suck, cars and bikes both, but at least I can fix my bike myself and the routine stuff like fluid & filter changes are a breeze compared to a car. I've had the local Yamaha dealer tech argue that the service manual is wrong about how to check the oil. Am I going to trust him with my bikes? Hell no. I've had the Suzuki dealership mount tires backward and just stick on a random weight when the tire happened to balance perfectly w/o any weights. They installed the throttle upside down on my V-Strom and couldn't put the fairing back together properly. Am I going to trust them again with my bikes? Hell no.

I had a Camaro with ABS brakes where no one could either fix it or even wanted to work on it. "That's ABS and you need expensive special tools and it's too much of a liability issue." The OBD-II said it was a left front wheel sensor and the dealer tech argued and argued that couldn't be it. I didn't have the tools or the ability to do it myself. Eventually it totally packed up and put me into a guardrail. Fuck dat car shite.

I swore I'd never get anything with ABS and here I now have an '07 FJR. Go figure.

My personal best fix-it story was a GS550EF I got for $200 from a car dealership where it was a trade-in and had sat for so long the rings were frozen. I put a spoonful of oil in it and compression came back so I knew the valves were good. I put another $200 in it for rings, a hone, gaskets, carb cleaning, etc and it was a very nice commuter bike.

My worst was a couple of friends that got a GS1100GL with the engine in a box, not too far from the post above. They wanted to fix it up like I did the 550 and make a profit on it. They put the top end back on and it would run, but not stay in gear. They pulled the oil pan and ball bearings dropped out, which is the international sign for "very very bad news"

Turned out that a main tranny bearing spit out its balls, which wedged between a couple of gears, shearing off most of the teeth and putting spiderweb fractures along the length of both shafts. Nice. Plus the carbs were majorly dicked over, with little sweeties like the o-ring seals missing from the idle jet screws. And the stator and regulator would take each other out until they were replaced as a set. Plus the starter motor fragged one morning, as in I took the end off and POURED the winding forms out. Plus... never mind, I don't want to relive any more of that nightmare. Ugh.

Now, the major problem is the unrealistic time quotes that are given, and the nearly $100/hr rates that make even those quotes hurt too much. So it ends up that the tech has to make everything a rush job and can't spend the time and care on things that he should. I understand getting stuff done in a timely fashion. I can't forgive skimping on the head torque-up procedure so you can get the thing back out the door or because the dealership won't buy a torque angle wrench.

This is just like the software industry where you GOTTA have SOMETHING done in a ridiculous timeframe, and they're surprised when they get "something" and it's buggy as hell or doesn't even work at all.

I hate dealerships. It certainly is not fair to say they are all bad, but by far I feel the majority are. You get cheated in 2 ways. Either they do it wrong to purposely try to cheat you, or they do it wrong becasue they just don't know any better. Either way you loose.

I hate supermarkets -- you ever see those guys stocking the shelves, dropping shit, then re-selling it -- bastids!

I hate the newspaper - the friggin LA Times - Democratic, liberal bullshit ---

I hate fast food places -- those guys like to spit in your food, drop shit (see: supermarkets) on the floor, then give it to you

I hate the government --- don't get me going on this one

I hate the trash guys -- the bastid won't pick up my container becasue it is 'against' the curb rather than being 6" away, so he gets out of the truck and leaves a note explaining why he didn't pick it up instead of moving it a foot so he could pick it up (reminds me of city employees - I hate them too)

I hate gas stations - driving me into the poor house

I hate ......

(PS - as a automotive 'professional' I don't think 'any dealership' purposely does 'it wrong' --- I think they are GENERALLY in business to make a profit, and to do so I believe they 'generally' understand they need to keep their customers happy so they will we return to buy again - that is kinda the general rule, IMHO).

Last edited by a moderator: