Group Buy - Who wants in? Crash Bars/Engine Guards for the FJR! YES!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Just ordered front and rear bars from MC Entetprises. $250.00 total includes shipping any where in the US. Should be here in a few days. *** Thats a 5% forum discount with free shipping.

Yesterday I was following a friend riding a Kawai C14 who had these bars, front and rear.

We were riding on a country road looking for the Mission Tejas state park. We blew past the entrance, so we started u-turns.

My friend went on the shoulder, which looked fine but it turned out to be about 1/2" thick and it collapsed under him.

He dropped his bike, but those bars took 100% of the impact. Nothing on the bike itself was touched. The bike kept running, I assume it didn't go over far enough to trip the tilt sensor. It was really easy to pick back up.

Those things work!!!

I've got the first group buy crash bar set on mine. The lean angle issue is becoming less problematic as things get ground off, but after a few parking lot drops due to "ride like a cop" practice, a parking lot knockover by persons unknown, and a impact encounter with a malfunctioning parking garage gate, the only damage to the bike is scrapes on the mirrors. the delrin inserts of the front bars have taken the damage up front and the paint of the rear bars has been scraped pretty good. Each time, it has made picking up the bike so much easier as you're not pivoting on expensive bike parts but a cheap replacable delrin point a few inches out. It also means no expensive grinding should you need to rotate your dropped steed for better lifting angles.

If you're gonna be out in the wilds of parking lot antics and sleepy/distracted/raging cage commuters day in and day out, you have to make a decision-look pretty until your ride gets gnarled over even the lowest speed drop, or get your inner Chippie on and armor up. Just like gear for your body. Better to look like a tool when riding than look like a pizza 24/7

The combination of bars makes a good place to attach extra load carrying. Or mounting a minigun or rocket pod :)

I would love some one to post some really good pictures of these bars mounted up.
+1

I do the "parking lot antics" stuff and dang hate to think about the amount of money involved in replacing plastic etc etc.

It would be great to experiment with my technique and not have to find out by spending a grand or two that wasn't an improvement :dribble:

I'm thinking that the OEM side-bags do a credible job of (sacrificially) protecting the bike in the rear end (DAMHIKT) and a decent set of sliders will protect the front tupperware, but not the stator cover (again.. don't ask) for the occasional tip-over.

As for actual low sides, well... that's why I have insurance.

I'm considering doing some kind of (hopefully tasteful) Rhino liner application on the bottom half of the saddlebags, adding a littte added protection to the boxes, but also something easily touched up in the likely occurrence of a repeat violation. :eek:

The alternator cover is a more complicated problem. The CF stuff you can find costs more than just replacing the cover each time you drop the fat girl. So far... I just live with the battle scars, because well... I hear chicks dig 'em. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
My own experience is that it's not just the lower half of the side cases that touches down in a low-side:

DSC_0008.jpg

My own experience is that it's not just the lower half of the side cases that touches down in a low-side:

Oh, I realize this. But that bag did yeoman's work protecting the rest of the bike, And those are the events the insurance can deal with.

It's the little parking lot drops I was talking to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love these bars. I only have them on the rear but from what I've seen they are solid and protect the luggage really well. This is the second bike I've had them on and I don't think I would own a bike without them. Plus, you can't beat the price.

I'm interested in the rear bars but MC is out of stock (should have some in about 5 weeks). Is there anywhere else that sells them? I can wait; I'm just curious.