Gun toting FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradek

Redbird!!
Reaction score
I have read the rules for all 50 states, but it's not a clear picture! Duh, what do you expect?

- Concealed carry is allowed in some states with a permit

- some states require a gun in full view and some allow it concealed in your trunk! Duh!

The rules are all over the map.

My bottom line question is whether a locked gun (revolver, pistol or long gun) can be carried on-board (in this case FJR).

I intend to carry one soon. So let me know, what you know.

Thanks

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about each state's laws anymore. But for those of you that do, packing.org is the best site out there for info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't even think about it if you go behind the Iron Curtain here in IL or WI. The gun laws here SUCK ASS!

I have read the rules for all 50 states, but it's not a clear picture! Duh, what do you expect?

- some states require a gun in full view and some allow it concealed in your trunk! Duh!

My bottom line question is whether a locked gun (revolver, pistol or long gun) can be carried on-board (in this case FJR).

Thanks
You might find this site useful for your question: all you want to know about gun laws

From the NRA website:

"Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

So, if you are allowed to carry the gun in your vehicle in your starting and stopping state, the laws of the intervening states can't prevent you from transporting through their state, as long as you're just passing through. On an FJR, it would seem you're in compliance if your firearm is in your sidecase or topcase and your ammo is in a different sidecase or topcase.

Welcome to a fundamental example of a Constitutional issue of States's rights vs. Federal Government powers. To standardize would mean going federal with it and probably fraught with down side. Good piece of information Ari offered there though. It legitmizes the perception I had and have been following when I do carry from state to state that don't have reciprocal rights.

And Packing.org is just the best out there to keep track of the state minutae.

+1, what Ari said, but...

Being a former card carrying member of the NRA and having owned many a hunting gun and sport shooter, I have never felt a need to pack iron in the car or on the bikes (course, it would be handy to waste the errant Barbie Doll out in the Nevada wasteland, I suppose) and I've been in some really fun places, like Compton, East LA, South Central and Beverly Hills.

Why is it that you find it neccessary to carry? No bust or dig, just curious. :dntknw:

+1, what Ari said, but...
Being a former card carrying member of the NRA and having owned many a hunting gun and sport shooter, I have never felt a need to pack iron in the car or on the bikes (course, it would be handy to waste the errant Barbie Doll out in the Nevada wasteland, I suppose) and I've been in some really fun places, like Compton, East LA, South Central and Beverly Hills.

Why is it that you find it neccessary to carry? No bust or dig, just curious. :dntknw:
I also don't carry, but for almost the exact opposite reason - I'd too often feel the need. I can't tell you how many times, if the Feej came with plasma laser cannons, or a BFG, I'd have vaporized a fucking BDC. I mean I really would have pressed the VALMORPHORIZE button. I'm not kidding. Seriously.

On an FJR, it would seem you're in compliance if your firearm is in your sidecase or topcase and your ammo is in a different sidecase or topcase.

This would be correct for CA.

Rick

I carry concealed with a permit in Arizona. You can also carry on your side here without one, just can't enter bars. eatin' places that servfe alcohol, or other places that post signs(such as WalMart).

I found the need after an encounter broke down in the desert. Without the guy I was traveling with having a gun we would have been robbed or murdered, maybe both. After that said I pack when I think the situation calls for it. I also broke down with my family, now ex-wife and daughter. Also for the fact of not brandishing a hand gun we might have all been robbed or dead. You never know when or where but ists better to be safe than sorry.

I will never forget that its either you or them and if you pull it out be ready to use it. Hope I never have to.

Thanks
You might find this site useful for your question: all you want to know about gun laws

From the NRA website:

"Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

So, if you are allowed to carry the gun in your vehicle in your starting and stopping state, the laws of the intervening states can't prevent you from transporting through their state, as long as you're just passing through. On an FJR, it would seem you're in compliance if your firearm is in your sidecase or topcase and your ammo is in a different sidecase or topcase.
actually it means you can transport a firearm through any state (in the above secured method) if it's lawful to POSSESS it in start/destination states (NOT if it's lawful to carry in your vehicle). the Firearm Owners Protection Act was passed to protect those transporting. It didn't address modes of "carry". A small, but important distinction that allows you to transport even if neither of the start/stop states support carry (loaded, self defence) in a vehicle.

I found the need after an encounter broke down in the desert. Without the guy I was traveling with having a gun we would have been robbed or murdered, maybe both. After that said I pack when I think the situation calls for it. I also broke down with my family, now ex-wife and daughter. Also for the fact of not brandishing a hand gun we might have all been robbed or dead. You never know when or where but ists better to be safe than sorry.I will never forget that its either you or them and if you pull it out be ready to use it. Hope I never have to.
I can say absolutely that unless you're transporting it to/from home and the firing range, it's unlawful to carry a handgun on an FJR in any province in Canada.

You don't have to worry as much though about ending up robbed or dead; you can still end up as robbed or dead as you can in the US, it's just that up here you'd asked politely first and thanked politely afterward :lol:

On an FJR, it would seem you're in compliance if your firearm is in your sidecase or topcase and your ammo is in a different sidecase or topcase.

This would be correct for CA.

Rick
+1 Rick. Although it is VERY IMPORTANT that the firearm and any magazines are UNLOADED. The ammo should be stored in a seperate locked compartment. Even if you unload the weapon by removing the loaded magazine, but place the loaded magazine in the same compartment you are skirting the law in California. The spirit of the law is trying to prevent you from reaching and using the firearm quickly while driving your vehicle.

So store the weapon in one locked case. The unloaded magazines in a seperate locked case, and the ammunition in a third locked case if possible. If not you can store your unloaded weapon in a locked case inside of the locked side case (use a lockable storage box, etc.) and then place your unloaded magazines inside of the same side case.

The bottom line in California is to seperate the weapon, magazines, and ammunition as much as possible.

Geeze guys...what kind of places are you living in or driving thru, that u need to carry a piece?! Just a question thats all...if it were me, I`d move. :eek:

Geeze guys...what kind of places are you living in or driving thru, that u need to carry a piece?! Just a question thats all...if it were me, I`d move. :eek:

When someone finds a complete "Crime Free" zone , let me know, I will move there too!

Always better to have and not need , than , need and not have.

sort of like carrying a first aid kit or flat tire repair kit.