Handlebar Rattle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirrilian

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is normal (I haven't ever had it on any other bike) but when I hit sharp bumps like potholes or small bumps my handlebars rattle. It sounds like it is coming from the triple tree area but it is hard to tell. I also get it when I hit the front brakes while moving forward, makes me feel like the main bearing that that holds the handlebars has some slack in it. Anyone else had this problem or know what it may be?

Also, if I pull or push on the handlebars I can't make it do it so I don't think it is the handlebar mounts, but you never know...

Use the first link and look for the references to the stem nut. It's the big 36mm nut and needs to be torqued to 85 ft. lb (I think). The dealer doesn't check that when the bike is set up; they said it's done by the factory. Mine was loose.

Is it possible that my rotors are loose as well? I just bought this bike and I am seriously considering getting the YES warranty just in case, it would suck to have payments on something I can't ride everyday :(

...Kirrilian....any bets it`s not the steering stem making the rattle?! I`ve got a sawbuck that says the noise is coming from the front brakes...the pads are loose in their mounts by design...you`ll see. Also, the rotors often "clunk"...they can move in the vertical plane besides the horizontal that "floating" rotors are known for.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I get time this weekend I'll check the torque on the steering stuff, if it continues after that it must be the front rotors. I still think it has to be something in the steering because it is more of a heavy clunking sound and not a light rattle that I would expect from brake pads.

I just got around to doing this (I didn't have a 36mm socket, so I had to buy one) and I would advise anyone that experiencing this to do it immediately. My stem nut was so loose it was almost hand tight...

I really don't want to know what would have happened if the other two nuts came loose as well :(