Has your 1st gen FJR been repaired for "The Tick"??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your 1st gen FJR been repaired for "The Tick"??

• Yes, and it's been fine ever since

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, but I think it still has a problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I think it needs it

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Nope...mine's quiet as a mouse fart

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
I bought mine (05) in May 06 with 2500 miles on it. Coulda sworn I heard the tick a short time later- first time I rode without a helmet. Actually, think it was the reason the bike was being sold.

Got louder, more prominent. Repaired this spring with 18K miles and, now, at 30K, I'm hearing it again.

Wondering if any have been repaired twice...

Jim/jonesin'

'05 non ABS no definite tik but has louder than normal sounds from the left side as far as I can tell. Sometimes it is noisy and sometimes not. I'll chalk it up to inconsistent gasoline. Sounds like rattleing. <_<

My 2003 serial number 00000002 Canadian model has 34000 kms and is NOT a ticker ( very quiet) so cross your fingers!!!

Sure miss the smooth idle it had before the tps recall :angry2:

Ironically, mine also idled low and lumpy after having the TPS recall done last week. I went to set the idle up a bit and found that they'd backed the idle screw out completely! I had to turn it alot before it even began to make a change. I set it to about 1k and it's much better now. That would be the same dealer that told me they'd NEVER had an inline 4-cylinder apart in that shop. Clearly my last trip there, even if they are only 20 minutes from my work.

Now once I get my tick and my trans fixed, all should be as it should be. Another forum member, Denny (drc32-0), directed me to Doug Kane Motorsports in Zanesville, OH. After speaking with them today, it would seem that they not only know what a ticker is, they know how to fix it! Hallelujah! It will be worth the 130 mile trip each way to deal with a dealer that actually knows something about the bike AND wants to fix it. Too bad that can't be said about the Dayton area dealers. Ignacio was right, I just needed to find the right dealer. It was just a little tougher than it should have been.

Dave,

Good luck with your fix....sounds like you found a winner. Who would of thought it would be so hard to find a competent mechanic to work on FJR's. I've been to 4 dealerships for a variety of warranty work & service. I look forward to the day I will be embarrassed by a technician and it has not happened yet.

Mine is a 2004 with no problems at 20000 miles. Runs quiet. A thought; I would be interested in how many of the tickers were running synthetic oil vs regular oil. The synthetic stuff has a higher capacity to endure heat and possibly wear. Thoughts?

regards

Roadhammer

I bought my '03 used and apparently it had been fixed for the tic. 57,000 miles and runs great.

Mouse farts at 29K+. Another chronic problem I've seemed to dodge so far <<knock on head>>. Don't even know what "the tick" sounds like.

Ironically, mine also idled low and lumpy after having the TPS recall done last week.

Really?? Mine runs smooth as silk after the TPS mod. Used to sometimes get some surging under hard acceleration uphill, but now has none.

Does anybody have an idea what it would cost out of pocket for the repair? It seems that most folks have the YES warranty, unfortunately I bought mine used without one. I don't have a ticker so far (6800 miles)

I think the poll needs a 5th option for those of us who have had the dreaded tick "fixed" twice and now suspect that we hear the tick whether it's there or not.

I have an early NA 2003 bike that was diagnosed as a ticker at about 6000 klicks before the riding season ran out. Luckily my mechanic was familiar with the problem because it happened on the Rx bikes as well and contacted and bugged Yamaha on my behalf. They eventually replaced the left side exhaust valves with "updated" valves. Less than 10K later, the problem was back. Yamaha had initially promised to cover this problem if it reoccurred. They backed out on that and offered $200 against the parts bill. My mechanic and the service rep at my dealer hounded YC for months on my behalf and wore them down. Eventually, they gave in and said that they would cover the labour and I would have to cover the parts which was better than nothing. Nothing, however, was what I eventually paid thanks to more lobbying by my friends at the dealer. This time, all the exhaust valves were replaced and the new seals installed. I don't think it's ticking but as I ride with ear plugs most of the time ....................

Haven't voted in the tick poll yet....... still debating whether it's fixed.........

Two big thumbs up for Fiona and Scottie at Snow City Cycle in Toronto (Scarborough).

My 2003 serial number 00000647 US model has 25,000 miles and is not a ticker, runs very quiet; much quieter than my two BMW's! Started running synthetic at the 5,000 mile mark.

My '04 started ticking at 57000km, had it done(new exhaust valves and seals) at 67000km and it is still fine at 75000km. My wife's '05 with 48000km doesn't tick and has always been a quieter bike than mine. Both bikes have had Amzoil 100% synth. 10-40 since the 5000km mark. Before that it was Yamalube or whatever snake oil it is that they recommend.

uralrob.

my 04 goes in for it's second fix at seasons end. it should have about 90,000 kms by then.

derek

70k miles on my '04. No tick. I did just have the cam chain tensioner replaced. It had been noisy for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't seem to be a real pattern to me. My early 05 ( purchased new August 04) is almost mouse fart quiet at 36K. Sounds just like it did when I bought it. Still haven't done the 26K valve inspection ... I'll do it this fall. I've ran Yamaha 20W40 and the stock oil filter since new.